FREE POKER TOOLS

Get free poker tools

Take your poker game to the next level with our free poker tools

Join now for free

POKER SUCCESS

Join the worlds largest poker community

Build on the experience of the world's largest poker school and community

Join now for free

PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Forums » Your Poker Blogs » Inner struggle (now Zoom)
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
Go to the bottom of this page Inner struggle (now Zoom)
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DemonRax
Bronze

Registration Date: 11 May 2009

Inner struggle (now Zoom) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi all.

My name is Andzhey (or Angei if you like). Couple of words about myself. I am almost 32 years old, got PhD in nuclear physics, worked for more than 8 years in ALICE collaboration at CERN/LHC. I quit last year and we moved to Germany with my wife and son. It's a long story and the bottom line is - I have some time now for poker. I had (and still have) many interests and hobbys in my life, currently I'm focused on my son, my poker and my guitar.

I've been playing poker for almost 3 years now and had no major success. I played at PartyPoker at first, then came to PokerStars where I still play now. I begun with full-ring cash games with some freerolls/cheap MTTs, then at PokerStars I tried to play some SNGs/DoNs/HU SNGs, but switched back to 6max cash games and I decided to stick with it. It's been almost 2 years since I commited myself fully to 6max NLHE, I've played NL2-NL50, going up and falling down a number of times. I had couple of good runs, they were probably just a long upswing periods up to 80k hands.

I studied a lot and I believe I got some knowledge for micros. I spent (and keep spending) a lot of time on working off the tables and I put as much volume on the tables as I can. I play 4-8 tables, 2-4 hours per day, analysing my sessions, working throu stats, and of course reading a lot, watching videos, making notes. I prefer to make real pen-and-paper notes, it feels better, and I just finished my third notebook, filled with notes and analysis...

My recent effort brought me to the point where I just stuck right now. And it's the main reason I finally decided to start a blog here, at PokerStrategy. For almost two weeks I been playing with pen and paper-notebook, writing down every single mistake I made in the game. Apparently there were not too many types of mistakes I made, but three of them were most important and coslty. They all are the river plays: bluffing, check/calling and bet/calling. Now, the problem is the following. Its quite obvious that these mistakes are crucial and of course I didn't invent them just now. I had them before and I recognized them as well. What bothers me that I seems to not be able to fix them - not in the past, not now.

Today I also read Verneer's post about the guy who can't do what he said to. It made me wonder if its really a mental problem which has to be solved. This is pretty much the main thing I have in mind right now. It's the ultimate struggle with myself.

Another problem I consider worth working on is my instability. My bankroll managment is 30 BIs and it seems to make me feel under pressure when I climb up to higher limit. So I decided to make some changes and start this blog. The main reason for now - I am going to post all the hands with those three mistakes that I mentioned: river bluffs and river calls. I am going to do this on daily basis and I would appreciate any comments on those from you guys. For now I really feel little frustrated and I feel like I need some help.

Also I'm going to change my banrkoll managment to 60 BI (and 50 BI to drop down), so with bankroll of 500$ I am rolled for nosebleed NL5 right now and think its a good start. Well, that's it for now, thanks for stopping by, hope to see you guys around. And good luck!

Andzhey.

Some links:
PokerTableRatings graph: http://www.pokertableratings.com/stars-p...search/demonrax
First blog/diary, its in Russian: http://demonrax.blogspot.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DemonRax47

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by DemonRax: 18 May 2012 00:06.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:23 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Thread Starter Thread Started by DemonRax
Graphs and stats Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

March-May 2012, Zoom Graphs and stats NL5-NL50

December 2011 - March 2012, NL10, NL16, NL25

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by DemonRax: 16 May 2012 16:16.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:23 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Reserved Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I hope I gonna need it... someday...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DemonRax: 29 Feb 2012 22:08.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:24 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Reserved Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Aaaand the last one...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DemonRax: 29 Feb 2012 22:07.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:24 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
verneer
Bronze

Registration Date: 06 Aug 2009

RE: Reserved Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DemonRax
Aaaand the last one...

What are these?

"If you want to be good at winning, you have to be good at losing" -- Tommy Angelo
New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:34 verneer is offline Search for Posts by verneer Add verneer to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

These are reserved posts for future additions smile I'm going to start posting some hands tomorrow, today I took a break.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 16:51 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
Sinnology
Global

Registration Date: 10 Aug 2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hello bro!
Nice to see you finally coming here and make a blog.
Am sure your blog will attract many visitors and it will keep me into updating mine more often for sure.
I already told ya that we have similar stuff and more than anything else its emotional shit wlle need to take care and improvements will come.
It must beake thru one day, and I feel it will be sooner than later.

Cya around.
New Post 29 Feb 2012 19:59 Sinnology is offline Search for Posts by Sinnology Add Sinnology to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Added some graphs and stats at the top, right here.

Sinnology, hi! Thanks, man, appreciate it.

New Post 29 Feb 2012 22:07 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
promys
Bronze

Registration Date: 30 Jul 2009

At last! Glad to see you here ))
New Post 01 Mar 2012 07:30 promys is offline Search for Posts by promys Add promys to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

quote:
Originally posted by promys
At last! Glad to see you here ))

Thanks, man, you too smile

New Post 01 Mar 2012 11:00 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Some previous hands Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Looks like I won't be able to play today, so I'm gonna post some analysis and hands from previous sessions. Here are my graphs on "river check/call", "river bet/call" and "river bluffs" (bluffs with air-type hands, high cards, sometimes bottom pairs etc).

As far as I can tell these are my biggest black holes in my game. I wouldn't say "leaks" because I'm sure there are more smaller leaks beside these huge holes. And the biggest one is "check/calling river" with a bluff catch hand. "Bet/calling" is a bluff-catching as well, so I will probably name them both as a bluff catch move (BC).

So what is the problem? one might ask. I dunno. Most of the time I realize that I am at BC spot if I face a bet or a raise on the river. But for some reason(s) I talk myself into a call. Sometimes I have some good reason, like "aggro-bluff-happy opponent" or "his value range is pretty thin, he might have more %% of weaker hands" etc. But most of the time it's a pure BC with relative garbage.

Now it would've be pretty easy to learn to fold if everytime I call I see the nuts. But I've seen so many crappy hands people shove that I am always suspicous. Here's an example:

I don't want to bring up stats at this point, because it's not about decisions right now, I just want to draw the whole picture. Of course stats at the table are very important and I will put them later with the hands I would like to share.

Anyways, I can give some more examples like this, here're some more:

Then it comes to silly calls like this:

And here we go. I don't trust them anymore. It can be one hand in a tens/hundreds but I still remember it very well. And I start calling too much again, no matter how hard I worked before to stop that. Now, I realize deep inside that if I just fold everytime I will be doing better. Even if I fold all the spots I'm ahead and lose some value, still those when I'm behind cost me much more when I end up callin.

All in all it comes to this kind of embarassing calls. Sometimes it's not that obvious fold:

But most of the time it goes like this:

In those last spots opps were pretty eager to value-bet me with strong, but not the best hands. And I found myself able to paid them off even with worse hands. Which doesn't help to feel good about my game.

Well, of course it doesn't happen all the time. But that's enough for me to be a losing player. What kind of mental trick do I need to control my actions in those spots? I wouldn't say I do it in a fog or something. I usually stop before clicking, consider my actions, ranges and odds, sometimes I even come to a conclusion that I'm too often behind to make this call +EV. And still I hesitate a little - and call.

New Post 01 Mar 2012 11:44 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
novelsound
Bronze

Registration Date: 17 May 2009

Just don't play deeper than 100bb
New Post 01 Mar 2012 12:06 novelsound is offline Search for Posts by novelsound Add novelsound to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

quote:
Originally posted by novelsound
Just don't play deeper than 100bb

You wrote "just" like it's an ultimate solution. But it's not. I just posted some examples from DS tables, but I have plenty of them at normal 100bb tables as well. It might cut my losses but it will just diminish the problem instead of getting rid of it.

New Post 01 Mar 2012 12:24 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Played 2 sessions today at NL5, 1 hour each, 6 and 8 tables, ~1100 hands total, made 7 mistakes for ~300bb. Here they are:

- bluff c/r turn, bluff river 45bb

- bluff turn, bluff river 33bb

- delayed c-bet and river bluff

- overpair BC call river 92bb

- stacking off JJ preflop vs gay-4bet 76bb

- bluff c/r flop, give up turn 20

- value-betting myself with 3rd pair 10bb

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DemonRax: 01 Mar 2012 22:46.

New Post 01 Mar 2012 22:46 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Hands and goals Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, guys! It works smile Even no one actually responded. But I spent almost one hour yesterday putting those hands together and writing them down into a blog-post. And today while I was playing I was always thinking that I don't want to spend so much time again. So I made less mistakes - can you believe this? shark pleased

Anyways, I played 3 sessions at NL5, 40 minutes each, around 1400 hands in total, and made just one mistake per session for 120bb. Here they are:

- calling down with TPGK 20bb

- bluff catching river call 60bb

- bet/call turn, check/call river BC with TP 40bb

Friend of mine asked me two questions yesterday. First, why I made my intro so serious and glum? I've always been (and I think I still am) a happy and optimistic guy and always made people laugh and feel better, so I could add up some fun and cheers in the blog. And second question he asked - why didn't I mention my goals and aims in poker whatsoever?

Well, I hope if I answer his questions here he might go for it and join the PokerStrategy forum smile So here it is.

Yes, I am a pretty happy guy and I never take things too seriously. I wrote a couple of different intros, more fun and stuff, but for some reason I decided to cut it down and keep just the most important information. I just didn't realize it became pretty dry and official. I wanted people out here to understand what I was concerned about because it's probably not just my problem but some other guys might face it as well. Anyways, I'll try not to be so serious, if someone will actually read this blog of course shark wink

As for the goals... well, I honestly think that those goals most of the people post in their blogs are useless smile I mean I could write something like "I wanna be rich" or "I wanna buy a yacht and rollz-royz and stuff"... but it's not helping. I was always focused on what I do. For example, when I choosed to become a physicist I did not dreamed about being a Nobel Prize winner or something. I was just fascinated with the beautiful science and I enjoyed every minute I spent studying it.

When I begun to learn to play guitar I didn't think of it like "Im gonna be a rockstar and go around the world rockin". Well, of course it was a nice vision how it might be, but my focus was right there and right now. I loved the instrument and it was a pleasure to practice it all night long till my fingers bleed. My goals were local - learn this, get a grasp of that, be able to play this etc.

When I discovered Go I was completely blown away and charmed with the pureness and beauty and complexity of the game. My goal was to learn to understand it as deep as I can. And then I wanted to share with others and I did things to reach that goal.

Well, I guess you get my point. I don't believe in a long-term-dream-like aims. I believe in more reasonable and achievable goals and I truly believe in a hard work. So if you ask me - why I still play poker, why don't I quit? Well, I just love the game and I want to understand it. More specific goals would be: get some skill and reach NL100 and be a regular there. I think this is the level when I will be able say - I got the idea. And then - we'll see what happens. I don't obsessed with money that much, it's a matter of "being better then the game is".

Wow, it was a long post. I guess after this one nobody really would be continue reading it, haha shark ugly And by the way - sorry for my English, I hope it's not too confusing. Anyways, I appreciate your attention. See you guys around.

New Post 02 Mar 2012 21:47 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
promys
Bronze

RE: Hands and goals Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Dear Friend smile
I think you posted much fish mad hands in previous post.
1-2 hands is enough. Easy to check and post comments.
You should try to adjusted to limit where you play now. Actualy on limit nl5 opponents bluff not so much time like you think. Often they play according strong of their hands. So I think you will see 2-3 steet bluff very rarely. In my oppinion you should not went to showdown in first and second example.

quote:
- calling down with TPGK 20bb

Board have no any draw and looks safety (no need to defend hand by big bets).
So If you have TPGK on such board - easy value bets 3 streets (1/3-1/2 pot bets). For get call from something like TT or Kx. I'm not belive that regular player can bet 3 times QQ on Kxx board. You should imagine how you will play every hand which you put to opponent range. So I think call river can not be good on distance.

quote:

You can see his size bet. It's looks like strong hand and seems that he bet for value.
He call you preflop 3bet OOP. Than bet 2 times on JJ9xx. He should understand and give you some strong hand if you 3bet and than call turn.
I mean for example his preflop range call - 77+,ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo
On board JJ9 you have 53% equity. But you can not think that he will bluff some thing like 77 on 2 streets. It is mean that his final range can be like JJ+,99,AJs,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,AJo,KJo+,QJo (I put man bluff hands to his range, actualy you can not sure that will be so many bluffs). And you have just 30% equity. I think fold river will be better.

quote:

- bet/call turn, check/call river BC with TP 40bb

Ok, if you think that opponent very agessive and can bluff several streets. According that note here can be some basted draws and high cards.
New Post 05 Mar 2012 09:08 promys is offline Search for Posts by promys Add promys to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

RE: Hands and goals Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, wsup, bro! Thanks for the input.

quote:
I think you posted much fish mad hands in previous post. 1-2 hands is enough. Easy to check and post comments.

Got it, will fix. I thought it won't be too many hands, I will try to choose most typical and expensive ones.

I agree with the first hand. What about second?

quote:

You can see his size bet. It's looks like strong hand and seems that he bet for value.

Well, what would bluff-bet size look like then? Pot-size-bet? 1/5 of pot? Overbet push? My problem is not making decisions vs opp's value-bet-range. My problem is that I put them on bluffs too much.

New Post 05 Mar 2012 10:16 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
promys
Bronze

quote:
My problem is that I put them on bluffs too much.

Exactly!

quote:

what would bluff-bet size look like then? Pot-size-bet? 1/5 of pot? Overbet push?

Bad players bet 1/3 with bluff. But 2/3 or pot bet - strong.
Regular players often bet 1/2-3/4 with strong hand. Bluff about 1/2.
Your opponent call preflop QJo, seems it is bad player. So his big bets often will strong.
If you do not know something about him before this hand, you also must fold river because you do not have information that he can bluff 2 streets in 3bet pot with air.
New Post 05 Mar 2012 12:25 promys is offline Search for Posts by promys Add promys to your Buddy List
DemonRax
Bronze

Well, I been playing a lot, so I can't find time to sit down and post some hands. But I feel I do it better so we'll see what happens in a few days. Then I'll try to summarize the result if any fish confused

quote:
Originally posted by promysBad players bet 1/3 with bluff. But 2/3 or pot bet - strong. Regular players often bet 1/2-3/4 with strong hand. Bluff about 1/2.

Hmmm... I don't think I can agree with that... Well, regulars think about what they do and they try to make bluff look like a value-bet. But bad players? I've seen pot-size bets with air, overbet pushes and stuff. As well as 1 or 2 bbs into a 20bb pot etc.

quote:
Originally posted by promysYour opponent call preflop QJo, seems it is bad player. So his big bets often will strong. If you do not know something about him before this hand, you also must fold river because you do not have information that he can bluff 2 streets in 3bet pot with air.

I agree with this one smile

New Post 06 Mar 2012 00:20 DemonRax is offline Search for Posts by DemonRax Add DemonRax to your Buddy List
promys
Bronze

quote:
Hmmm... I don't think I can agree with that... Well, regulars think about what they do and they try to make bluff look like a value-bet. But bad players? I've seen pot-size bets with air, overbet pushes and stuff. As well as 1 or 2 bbs into a 20bb pot etc.

This is also part of problem which you should overcome. When I tell that I do not mean that bad players never bluff pot size bet or overbet, I mean that most time you will see there strong hand. For example 50% - strong hand, 25% - flush draw or flush draw, 25% - air (often air less than 25%).
But your mind remember only air when you call him in such situation. Every time you have to think what your opponent play with. Some times your hand strong not so mach vs opponent range. For example in this case will be something like JJ+,99,AJs,A9s,KJs+,K9s,Q9s+,J9s+,T8s+,T4s,83s,74s,AJo,KJo+,K5o,QJo,Q3o,J9o+
(many air and gatshorts and draw). This range have 52% vs 48% TT on JJ9 (if we delete some bluffs or draw, than his range will much stronger).
So I just want to advice you in such situations put opponent on some hand range. Only after that decide how often you can win.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by promys: 07 Mar 2012 06:38.

New Post 06 Mar 2012 09:49 promys is offline Search for Posts by promys Add promys to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread » | Add Thread to Favorites
Jump to:
PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Forums » Your Poker Blogs » Inner struggle (now Zoom)