FREE POKER TOOLS

Get free poker tools

Take your poker game to the next level with our free poker tools

Join now for free

POKER SUCCESS

Join the worlds largest poker community

Build on the experience of the world's largest poker school and community

Join now for free

PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Strategy and Hand Evaluations » Fixed Limit » [Coaching] Fixed Limit [Expert] with Byron Jacobs
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
Go to the bottom of this page [Coaching] Fixed Limit [Expert] with Byron Jacobs 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Registration Date: 09 Aug 2009

[Coaching] Fixed Limit [Expert] with Byron Jacobs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dear PokerStrategists,

Welcome to the coachingthread for the Fixed Limit Gold by Byron Jacobs.

Coaching Info:

• Name: Byron Jacobs
• Coach: byronjacobs
• Time: Thursdays 16:30-18:00 GMT

What will you learn in this coaching?

In these sessions I play at PartyPoker and typically play two tables around $3-$6 and $5-$10. I discuss any reads, stats etc I have on the opposition and explain the thinking process behind my decisions. The villains are a mixed bag: some are quite weak but others are solid regs at the 10-20 through to 20-40 limits. Although I often have to adapt to the weaker players I always try to explain how I would be playing similar hands at higher limits against tougher opponents. If/when I run card dead I am happy to pick up on questions posted by ps members. We usually have a few regs who turn up and the discussions are good. Once a month (last Thursday of the month) I am joined by Cornholio and we have a discussion based around the play.

Your feedback is wanted!

We want to know how you like the coaching and how we can improve. Please share your feedback in this thread!

About me:
My name is Byron Jacobs and I have been a PokerStrategist since 2009. I have made a number of videos and also produced an article jointly with Kobeyard. My speciality is FL, playing very short or HU. During the last couple of years I am trying to improve my skills in MTT play and there is also a series of videos I made with Jonathan Little which will help players who are of a similar standard to me (pretty competent, but not yet really good) in this game. I also write and publish poker books (dandbpoker.com). I enjoy the coachings - apart from the fact that after 90 minutes I usually have a sore throat sad - as I find it is good for my game to be continuously obliged to articulate my thought processes. I really like to get feedback as I believe it is crucial to have your ideas examined by others and to hear their opinions.

I look forward to seeing you in my coachings, Byron Jacobs
Hope to see you in the coachings smile .

Best regards,
Byron Jacobs

I also produce videos for PokerStrategy.com, for example:
HU Strategy - Part 1-6
kobeyard meets Byron Jacobs - Part 1-4
Byron plays SH - Part 1+2
NEW:Check behind - Part 1

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ByronJacobs: 16 Mar 2012 12:22.

New Post 14 Sep 2010 13:28 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
frzl
Bronze

Registration Date: 25 Apr 2006

RE: [coaching feedback] FL Platinum with Byron Jacobs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hi byron smile
first of all i have a question: are you going to coach once a week? because i can´t find anything in the coaching plan for this thursday?!

i would like to thank you for your last coaching. there wasn´t a single thing i didn´t like about it
- the sound quality was perfect and i had no problems at all to understand you (i´m from germany, so no native english speaker) even when you had to talk a little bit faster because of the action
- you did a good job to fill the gaps (e.g. while searching for a new table) by talking about general hu topics like mindset etc.
- i really liked your explanations. i´m not playing FL anymore and i never was a great hu player so there should be other people who could give you a better feedback on that, but imo you did an awesome job here. you used some interesting lines and explained every decission very well by putting your opponent on a certain range + figuring out the best line to play against it. what i also liked a lot was the fact that you often commented on your opponents play and showed up some alternative (better) lines for him to play his holding.

so long story short: you book was great, as was your coaching smile
ty
New Post 12 Oct 2010 22:14 frzl is offline Search for Posts by frzl Add frzl to your Buddy List
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Thread Starter Thread Started by ByronJacobs
RE: [coaching feedback] FL Platinum with Byron Jacobs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi frzl,

Thanks very much for the positive feedback tongue out

I am glad you enjoyed the coaching and also the book (look out for my new one - coming out late this year or early next year, extracts @ http://www.dandbpoker.com/book/Think_Like_a_Poker_Pro)

At the moment the coaching is every two weeks but I enjoy doing them and so am having some discussions with ps to see if its possible to make them weekly.

Look forward to seeing you at the next one. GL.

HU Strategy - Part 1-6
New Post 13 Oct 2010 08:50 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

Registration Date: 19 Apr 2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This weeks session will start half an hour later than usual.
Please be reminded that from last week on this will be a weekly coaching session. Hope you like that, if that's the case - it will remain as a weekly coaching :-)

New Post 25 Oct 2010 11:26 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Rake at 3-6: horrific!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

During coaching sessions, a few people have wondered about the rake at Party in the $3-$6 and $2-$4 games. I'd never given it any thought but I had a look after today's coaching and it is horrendous.

At both $3-$6 and $2-$4 HU you'll pay around $24 per 100 hands in rake. This means you have to beat opponents at 4-5BB/100 just to break even. My own stats show that at levels $15-$30 through to $30-$60 you don't pay much more than 1BB/100 in rake. In 2009 I had the screenname BrianCohen at Party and played (check it on PTR) 11K+ hands of $20-$40HU, paying $31.35/100 - only slightly more than at $3-$6 and $2-$4!!

The $3-$6 six-max is also appalling. The rate there is around 3.5BB/100 in rake.

Hope to see you next Thursday for another massive rake donation....

HU Strategy - Part 1-6
New Post 28 Oct 2010 23:03 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
Foxxxen
Bronze

Registration Date: 04 Dec 2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Byron, nice coaching yesterday!

I was wondering, do you usually play with or without a HUD in ring games, and if not then do you usually single table or how do you keep track of players?

New Post 29 Oct 2010 12:22 Foxxxen is offline Search for Posts by Foxxxen Add Foxxxen to your Buddy List
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Hi Foxxxen,

When I'm coaching I don't use anything (hud, ptr etc) because I think it is (or at least should be) more instructive to try to get reads and estimate ranges as I am going along.

If I am just playing then I don't tend to use a hud for HU play (although I'll usually look up the opponent on ptr just to make sure he's not killing the 50-100 HU games) because I think it's actually a little distracting. Stats don't mean too much at HU. I can play sessions where I have the stats of a maniac (cos the other guy is a passive folding-station) or ones where I seem to be a total nit (cos bluff induction is more profitable than betting). Usually only takes about 15-20 hands to get a fairly good idea of the villain's style.

If I am six-maxing (say 3 tables) then I'll use a hud for sure but in general I think they are over-used. It's much better (and also more helpful to your poker skills) to follow the play closely and try to define ranges based on what your opponents are doing today rather than on what they might have done six months ago in completely different games.

HU Strategy - Part 1-6
New Post 01 Nov 2010 09:53 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

howdy guys,
this weeks coaching will already take place one day earlier
see our coaching plan for more information: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/139216/ -it takes place on 6 GMT

New Post 01 Nov 2010 13:00 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
KelvinK
Bronze

Registration Date: 22 Feb 2009

Hi ByronJacobs,

I've just watched the first 4 part of your HU Strategy videos.

And there is something I don't agree with you.
It is in the part 4, at 40:00, the 35o hand.
I do think you should bet the turn and check behind almost every river.
It is pretty rare that he has a K, or a strong T. I put him on A highs, weak tens (under 8 maybe), or some kind of draws (for ex. J8, J9, 9Q, with JQ i think he'd raise).
So, Im pretty sure that you beat his range, so you should bet for a free-showdown, there is a little value in it too, and you defend your card against his 6 outs.

I've really enjoyed your videos, hopefully one day I'll get access for the diamond ones too.

(P.S. sry about my englishsmile )

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by KelvinK: 28 Nov 2010 01:18.

New Post 25 Nov 2010 22:00 KelvinK is offline Search for Posts by KelvinK Add KelvinK to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

He guys,
This& next week Byron is taking a little time off.
To make up with that Byron is going to have a promotional Coaching once again in the week before Christmas! So everyone with silver status + will be invited to join then...

New Post 06 Dec 2010 19:39 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
Jim9137
Bronze

Registration Date: 13 Nov 2007

Dear Byron,

Please post the checkraisesemibluff on the turn hand, it would make the number gnomes very happy.

Sincerely,

Jim

PS: Never stop! fish love
New Post 06 Jan 2011 19:57 Jim9137 is offline Search for Posts by Jim9137 Add Jim9137 to your Buddy List
nopi
Bronze

Registration Date: 18 Aug 2006

before I write everything twice ...

quote:
Originally posted by frzl
i would like to thank you for your last coaching. there wasn´t a single thing i didn´t like about it
- the sound quality was perfect and i had no problems at all to understand you (i´m from germany, so no native english speaker) even when you had to talk a little bit faster because of the action
- you did a good job to fill the gaps (e.g. while searching for a new table) by talking about general hu topics like mindset etc.
- i really liked your explanations.

I have nothing more to add ... many thanks
New Post 06 Jan 2011 20:01 nopi is offline Search for Posts by nopi Add nopi to your Buddy List
Jim9137
Bronze

Hey, I notice you (still) haven't posted The Hand. Even though I know it's rude to ask, I must, since I'm deadly curious about the results!

Keep up the good show though! fish love
New Post 31 Jan 2011 18:57 Jim9137 is offline Search for Posts by Jim9137 Add Jim9137 to your Buddy List
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Hi Jim,

Yes - sorry - It was quite an interesting spot so I've now written it up in some detail for my next book. You can find it here.

http://www.dandbpoker.com/book/Think_Like_a_Poker_Pro

Go to the extract at the bottom of the page and it's the second example.

Thx Byron

HU Strategy - Part 1-6
New Post 03 Feb 2011 16:26 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
Jim9137
Bronze

No problem. The book seems quite interesting as well! fish love
New Post 03 Feb 2011 17:23 Jim9137 is offline Search for Posts by Jim9137 Add Jim9137 to your Buddy List
KelvinK
Bronze

Registration Date: 22 Feb 2009

Hi ByronJacobs,

Would you please say something about i wrote a few posts before?

I'd really aprreciate it.

Thx Kelvin
New Post 06 Feb 2011 22:18 KelvinK is offline Search for Posts by KelvinK Add KelvinK to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

He guys, tomorrow we'll start one hour later than usual - so make sure to grab your pencils and notepads to make notes on Byron's great plays.

New Post 30 Mar 2011 10:08 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

quote:
Originally posted by SvenBe
He guys, tomorrow we'll start one hour later than usual - so make sure to grab your pencils and notepads to make notes on Byron's great plays.

That happens if you mix up times with your daughter's concert - tonight's coaching has to be cancelled - sorry,guys!

New Post 31 Mar 2011 10:02 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
SvenBe
Headadmin

He guys, unfortunately Byron can not make it tonight

As a compensation to you, amongst all
participants of next weeks coaching we will
raffle 3 of Byron's books:
"Think Like Poker Pro"

New Post 26 May 2011 18:00 SvenBe is offline Search for Posts by SvenBe Add SvenBe to your Buddy List
ByronJacobs
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I am sorry but I cannot make the coaching tonight (Thurs 18 August) or next week (Thurs 25 August), as I am on holiday and away from home.

Hope to see you all again for the next coaching which will be Thurs 1 September.

Thx Byron

HU Strategy - Part 1-6
New Post 18 Aug 2011 11:25 ByronJacobs is offline Search for Posts by ByronJacobs Add ByronJacobs to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread » | Add Thread to Favorites
Jump to:
PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Strategy and Hand Evaluations » Fixed Limit » [Coaching] Fixed Limit [Expert] with Byron Jacobs