Rakeback Vs No rake

    • Reanimater
      Reanimater
      Bronze
      Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Posts: 148
      A friend of mine thinks that having rake on the sites is good because of rakeback/bonuses etc. He says this helps breakeven players get something at the end of the month.

      I tried to explain to that guy that with no rake you would have 60-70 percent more compared to the 30 percent rake, as no rake means more money in the pots you win.

      So which is better? Rakeback or no rake?
  • 25 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Joined: 06 Jun 2011 Posts: 1,317
      no rake for sure, rakeback is like 30%, no rake = 100% rakeback, its that simple, with no rakeback breakeven players would be winning players, simple
    • MarkasKR
      MarkasKR
      Bronze
      Joined: 15 Mar 2008 Posts: 100
      No rake would mean, no money for the site. So the site would not have money to invite the fish. (advertising).
    • Reanimater
      Reanimater
      Bronze
      Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Posts: 148
      thats a good point but zynga does not charge anything and has tons of players?
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Joined: 22 Aug 2011 Posts: 255
      No rake would be the most profitable however the poker site wouldnt survive without it!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Joined: 07 May 2008 Posts: 17,665
      Originally posted by Reanimater
      thats a good point but zynga does not charge anything and has tons of players?
      They don't offer real money games so have different regulations than a site like PokerStars

      The way Zynga makes money is:
      • From the sale of so-called virtual goods, which are used as currency within Zynga's online games and are items that help the player in the game,
      • and
        From advertising, both in and around its games.


      Source: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011...

      Pokersites main income is ofcourse the rake and 888 recently started to brand their tables with other brands (heineken etc.)

      - Gerv
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Joined: 15 Jan 2011 Posts: 382
      Surely if you pay a dollars rake and then go busto the next hand you still keep 27 cents you'd otherwise have lost.
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Gold
      Joined: 02 Jan 2009 Posts: 621
      Originally posted by lynius
      Surely if you pay a dollars rake and then go busto the next hand you still keep 27 cents you'd otherwise have lost.
      yes, if you lose EVERY hand then rakeback is better...
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Gold
      Joined: 12 Jan 2010 Posts: 862
      Surely this is a spoof thread. No?
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Joined: 04 Jan 2012 Posts: 1,141
      on most stakes if you break even you are actually beating the game for around 6bb/100.

      The rake is pretty killer
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      Joined: 27 Mar 2009 Posts: 448
      your friend is completely clueless, I payed like $900 last month rake @ 888 poker and only got something like $81 back cuz of my fail rakeback, didn't deposit money there so only had 9% rakeback. My total profit for the month is 550$, so I mean if there was no rake my total profit would be $1550 which is pretty god damn sick, so I make $550, and pay $1000 RAKE. So tell me how fair is that, 888 poker sit there while I play 5 hours a day, and they MAKE more MONEY than me for just sitting there ROFL. I wish there was no rake, I'd be grinding like a BAWS
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Joined: 15 Jan 2011 Posts: 382
      Originally posted by CallumN
      on most stakes if you break even you are actually beating the game for around 6bb/100.

      The rake is pretty killer
      That's cheered me up after I've been a b/e player for too long. Looking forward to getting my grind and study on however :)
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Joined: 25 Jan 2010 Posts: 4,812
      people have no idea of how they are being raped by rake. breakeven microstakes players would win@5bb/100 (or something) if there was no rake. people who win at 2bb/100 are actually winning at 7bb/100, but 80% of their profit goes to the poker room.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Joined: 18 Jul 2010 Posts: 693
      There is some (or at least one) poker site which is not taking any rake on the tables, but if you withdraw some money, they'll take 10% (or something like that) of that money every single time you withdraw money.

      Before it opened I had good hopes for this site, but their population is literrally 0.

      I think this proves that the vast majority of the players have absolutely no idea about how much they pay in rake. And anyone who prefers to receive their weekly/monthly/etc flat rakeback over not paying rake at all is.. well, a recreational player at best and nowhere near to be a winning player because that requires common sense.

      Sorry to be harsh, but that's the truth considering how ridiculously high the rake is.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Joined: 25 Jan 2010 Posts: 4,812
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      There is some (or at least one) poker site which is not taking any rake on the tables, but if you withdraw some money, they'll take 10% (or something like that) of that money every single time you withdraw money.

      Before it opened I had good hopes for this site, but their population is literrally 0.

      I think this proves that the vast majority of the players have absolutely no idea about how much they pay in rake. And anyone who prefers to receive their weekly/monthly/etc flat rakeback over not paying rake at all is.. well, a recreational player at best and nowhere near to be a winning player because that requires common sense.

      Sorry to be harsh, but that's the truth considering how ridiculously high the rake is.
      yup
      people is getting raped by rake. they don't realize that they are paying thousands a month (probably more than what they earn in a their job) to use a service.

      unfortunately, things aren't likjely to change unless regs really get together and protest. and that's unlikely
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Joined: 11 Nov 2009 Posts: 3,104
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      There is some (or at least one) poker site which is not taking any rake on the tables, but if you withdraw some money, they'll take 10% (or something like that) of that money every single time you withdraw money.
      exactly why the recreational players dont wanna play there. fishes dont mind giving $3 as tips if they win $200 pot, but cringe at the idea of having to pay 10% of wtv amounts they luckbox since they phyiscally see a lump sum of $ going out. same reason y ppl choose to pay installments knowing they end up paying way more
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Joined: 18 Jul 2010 Posts: 693
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      exactly why the recreational players dont wanna play there. fishes dont mind giving $3 as tips if they win $200 pot, but cringe at the idea of having to pay 10% of wtv amounts they luckbox since they phyiscally see a lump sum of $ going out. same reason y ppl choose to pay installments knowing they end up paying way more
      Well yes, obviously, I just thought at least some people would play there since they could gain money from even only slightly weaker opponents where they couldn't before due to the rake.

      Maybe it's just poorly advertised, I don't know.

      Funny thing is that nowadays we (non-recreational players) don't care about the rake difference between sites as long as we can play against fishes...... so we can overcome the rake.
    • harry121
      harry121
      Basic
      Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Posts: 6
      .com helps you save money and earn more by getting cash back on online poker table rake and tournament fees.
      PayNoRake is that they are giving away 100% rakeback to their most loyal players.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Joined: 27 Jun 2011 Posts: 5,145
      Originally posted by vmarqui
      people have no idea of how they are being raped by rake. breakeven microstakes players would win@5bb/100 (or something) if there was no rake. people who win at 2bb/100 are actually winning at 7bb/100, but 80% of their profit goes to the poker room.
      I'm currently at nl2 and my rakerate is 4-5bb/100. I always thought this bullshit ends somewhere near nl50 and the rakerate is around 1bb/100 there?
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Joined: 27 Jun 2011 Posts: 5,145
      Originally posted by harry121
      ....com helps you save money and earn more by getting cash back on online poker table rake and tournament fees.
      PayNoRake is that they are giving away 100% rakeback to their most loyal players.
      we are not allowed to advertise affiliate sites other that pokerstrategy.com here.
    • 1
    • 2