FREE POKER TOOLS

Get free poker tools

Take your poker game to the next level with our free poker tools

Join now for free

POKER SUCCESS

Join the worlds largest poker community

Build on the experience of the world's largest poker school and community

Join now for free

PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Strategy and Hand Evaluations » No Limit » Pokerstrategy OPEN RAISING CHART (ORC)
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Go to the bottom of this page Pokerstrategy OPEN RAISING CHART (ORC)
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Hashkan
Silver

Registration Date: 27 Aug 2011

Pokerstrategy OPEN RAISING CHART (ORC) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So for example, in the pokerstrategy open raising chart for Maximum table short-handed , http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1671/1/, it sais from UTG we should open 56s+,KJ+,AT+22+, so what i understand it is this range .

But whats confusing for me is for example KTs is better then KJo, but its not in the chart. Or for example A2s is better then KJo etc. Is there something im missing?

I didnt know where to post it beside this part of the forum. Im sorry if its the wrong part of the forum.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Hashkan: 01 Sep 2013 17:04.

New Post 01 Sep 2013 17:02 Hashkan is offline Search for Posts by Hashkan Add Hashkan to your Buddy List
DrDunne
Bronze

Registration Date: 29 Dec 2010

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
But whats confusing for me is for example KTs is better then KJo, but its not in the chart. Or for example A2s is better then KJo etc. Is there something im missing?

I didnt know where to post it beside this part of the forum. Im sorry if its the wrong part of the forum.

i'm not sure when the chart was made, but i know that it's quite old. and as with any starting hand chart it has its drawbacks. i think the starting hand selection really just depends on the conditions at the table. for example if you play against a lot of people who invest money to fold later on in the hand, then a more "playable" hand like KTs or A2s might(!) be favoured over hands like KJo - because these hands allow you to maintain aggression throughout the hand. on the other hand, a hand like KJo will probably perform (marginally) better on a table full of fish for example, where the value of one pair type hands generally increases.. keep in mind that these starting hand charts were/are most likely aimed at guys who are just getting to grips with the fundamentals - it seems a bit bad for a beginner to open a hand like KTs or even A2s UTG without some good justification.

so it all boils down to your overall gameplan/approach and understanding of the game. what you've noticed is that there are very slight differences between some of those hands at the bottom of the range. KTs does have marginally higher equity against a given range than KJo does but it doesnt necessarily mean that KTs should be included in your UTG range because that would ultimately depend on the table conditions and your understanding of the game and thus your strategy.

at least this is the way i see it... keep questioning the SHC and it will definitely improve your game - it was only ever a general guideline and it should mainly go without saying that any SHC is flawed just by its definition.

i hope that makes sense!

ps. moved your thread to the general NL boards

New Post 01 Sep 2013 17:24 DrDunne is offline Search for Posts by DrDunne Add DrDunne to your Buddy List
Hashkan
Silver

Registration Date: 27 Aug 2011

Thread Starter Thread Started by Hashkan
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes ty very much sir, that made sense.

New Post 01 Sep 2013 17:47 Hashkan is offline Search for Posts by Hashkan Add Hashkan to your Buddy List
DrDunne
Bronze

Registration Date: 29 Dec 2010

great grin

New Post 01 Sep 2013 18:05 DrDunne is offline Search for Posts by DrDunne Add DrDunne to your Buddy List
metza
Bronze

Registration Date: 28 Jan 2012

I think that chart is pretty old and not very good.

This range is pretty easy to stay out of trouble with UTG, in my opinion. ATo is close, I raise it on some tables, but with a lot of good regs to act I won't (90% of the time I play on tables where raising ATo is profitable by my estimation). Also 22-44 can be folds if you're really getting trouble, but again easier to just find a good table smile

AA-22,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs,T9s,98s

However if there are fish in the blinds you can raise a ton more hands profitably from UTG, if both blinds are big fish I will be opening like 25% or so.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by metza: 05 Sep 2013 04:49.

New Post 05 Sep 2013 04:48 metza is offline Search for Posts by metza Add metza to your Buddy List
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » | Add Thread to Favorites
Jump to:
PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Strategy and Hand Evaluations » No Limit » Pokerstrategy OPEN RAISING CHART (ORC)