Long term online poker success with winning strategies – register for free!

The best strategies With the correct strategy, poker becomes an easy game. Our authors show you how to succeed, one step at a time.

The smartest thinkers Learn from and with internationally successful poker pros, in our live coaching sessions and in the forum.

Free poker money PokerStrategy.com is free of charge. Additionally there is free poker money waiting for you.

You are already a PokerStrategy.com member? Log in here!

Join PokerStrategy.com for free

FREE POKER MONEY

Play poker for free

$50 free poker money for every new member to play poker without a deposit

Join now for free

FREE TRAINING

Learn to play poker

Learn to win with top coaches, free videos and strategy articles

Join now for free

FREE POKER TOOLS

Get free poker tools

Take your poker game to the next level with our free poker tools

Join now for free

POKER SUCCESS

Join the worlds largest poker community

Build on the experience of the world's largest poker school and community

Join now for free

PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Forums » Your Poker Blogs » Vic Strongman 2014
Last Post | First Unread Post Add Thread to Favorites
Go to the bottom of this page Vic Strongman 2014
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BattleHunter
Coach
Coach

Registration Date: 12 Nov 2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by $starter
Vic Strongman 2014

Heyo boys and girls, vic here wink

About me:

http://i.imgur.com/Mw0p2Rw.jpg

Club 22 y.o
Club from Bulgaria
Club fav color: light green* (think of hem1's won hands in the report grin )
Club main game: 6max cash
Club favorite game: NL HU
Club highest limit played: PLO400
Club highest "stable" limit: NLHU/6max - 100

Most of you don't know me, as I haven't been active in the English community since ~2011, so short story time:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PsVSqap1b0I/S9DWf6salBI/AAAAAAAAADk/k7oW5BqO80c/s400/child+wonder.jpg

I "discovered" (online) poker when I became 18 (so around 4 years ago) and got hooked pretty fast, playing with pokerstrategy's free 50 bucks on cake poker. Almost went busto, but had some fishluck and didn't, so I kept on grinding for fun. Fast forward a year and I made the decision to quit my job, cuz I was making more than 1k/month (post RB) playing rush25 while working full time, which was more than my salary, so I fugured - hey, why not do this full time instead of spending 10+ hours every day working someting i dislike/commuting.
Obviously everything wasn't butterflies and rainbows, as 19 y.o. me (despite probably being wiser than present me) had big big problems with time management, but somehow (mucherino luckerino) I managed to pull through and actually "work" poker fulltime for 2 years.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/262/9/8/profile_picture_by_king_julien_xiii-d4aau0k.jpg

Lots of cool things happened in the meantime, like joining the infamous TTT (TeamTwiceT grin ), traveling to awesome places like Spain, Gibraltar, Vienna for various poker funzies; becoming a regular coach in the Bulgarian community - things I am really grateful that I had experienced, but the downswing was sure not long after.

Around an year ago (a bit more) I was shotting plo400 (on PKR) and experienced the biggest downswing of my life. Not only that, but FTP went down - I didn't really care much about having a small portion of my roll locked, but without rush I felt like I have no roots to go back to; it literally broke me so much that I ordered world of warcraft and spent 3 months playing it fish biggrin I didn't manage to fully recover until recently.

I never stopped loving poker, but something just didn't feel right anymore. I spent last year pursuing a childhood dream of mine of becoming a professional gamer (league of legends), while working on side projects for main income, but little by little poker was crawling it's way from something I do from time to time towards returning full on as my passion like it always used to be. And so it happened.

So here we are now, 2014, games tougher than ever (well, so ppl say, to be honest on the micro/low limits it doesn't feel remotely close to tough yet shocked ) and me back in the right track delighted

Aaaaaanyway, goal of this blog is to... have fun! I have no plans how to manage it for now, but it will be awesome wink

* I just painted my new apartment's walls this color! Mmmm glorious hem1 days fish cool

Current goals for April:
Diamond 25h/week playing 2 tables HU or 4-6 tables 6max
Diamond continue working on my habits (schnitzelfish is awesome!)
Diamond regrind a solid bankroll (iirc I found myself with around 2k$ in skrill to use for starters)

http://i.imgur.com/VEqEL0X.jpg
This week's "habits" tab, screen from Monday

I am currently mostly playing nl25 while adjusting myself back in grind-monkey-machine mode, probably going to move to nl50 asap and then look to grind it up further. In any case - top priority is to maintain high volume, make sure I can always cashout enough for living expenses (which is honestly not much in Bulgaria ^^) while not slacking on the learning department.

See you around!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by BattleHunter: 01:55 26 Apr 2014.

New Post 07 Apr 2014 23:15 Search for Posts by BattleHunter Add BattleHunter to your Buddy List
Lazza61

Registration Date: 23 Mar 2011

Hey Vic,

Welcome to the English blogs smile

People never truly leave poker. They are only on holidays and always seem to return.

Are you playing NL25 Rush again now that FTP is back or have you moved on somewhere else?

Nice hair tongue out

Laz
New Post 07 Apr 2014 23:59 Search for Posts by Lazza61 Add Lazza61 to your Buddy List
BattleHunter
Coach
Coach

Hey Lazz,

Thanks for the welcome : )

I am currently playing in Prima (microgaming) nl20€ regular 6m games, 6-9 tabling. I have the bankroll to move to 50, but I want to stay on the cautious side and get a decent sample to make sure I don't have a huge multitabling leak (I've never been one to multitable, max 6, or 4-6 rush grin ).

So far things have been good, tho I didn't put in much volume, because of exams in uni Tuesday and Wednesday, but I will make up for it as I am free to do whatever Fri-Sun fish cool

So far the biggest mistake I've found myself doing was paying off people that take lines that make no sense - the advice I give my students to crush the micros applies for me too, if I am to play some hands on nl20grin

At least I am not the only one that does it:

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Holdem
Prima
6 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
UTG eiksikt ($19.50) 98bb
UTG+1 Hero ($22.16) 111bb
CO liavon777 ($21.60) 108bb
BTN FlyToTheMoon ($21.20) 106bb
SB simyds ($21.72) 109bb
BB _psIX_ ($6) 30bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 QDiamond QSpade
eiksikt raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.60, 4 folds

Flop: 6Club 8Club 6Diamond ($1.50, 2 players)
eiksikt bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2.20, eiksikt raises to $5.10, Hero raises to $8, eiksikt goes all-in $13.80, Hero calls $10.90

Turn: 9Club ($31.30, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 10Heart ($31.30, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $31.30
eiksikt shows
5Diamond 5Spade
Hero shows
QDiamond QSpade

Hero wins $37.34 (net +$25.84)

eiksikt lost $19.50

https://www.seoclerk.com/pics/197282-1XSPkH1395252528.jpg

I also ended up playing a couple of BOTS in Prima in the NLHU Blaze tables (20€). My first session I wanted to chill a bit and see how blaze HU works - there were 2 separate tables where the "bots" were sitting (i didn't know they are bots at the time), not playing each other, but giving me instant action.
I played them for a bit and thought those are really really bad players, so I should play as much as possible against them, but it was getting close to 7am and I was dead tired, so I ended up only taking ~3bi with them losing ~7.
I gave up and went to sleep. To my surprise, when I woke up, bot players were still sitting at their tables, still not playing each other and still giving me instant action. I started smelling something fishy. This repeated in my evening session as well.
By now I knew for sure they are bots and was making up some pretty funny ways to maximize my value against them:

They both had different ranges,
Heart but 4-5% 3bet. I would min4bet if I want to, as they folded to min4bet as much as vs regular one.
Heart I would bluff cbet with 1/3-1/4 sizing (aimed at folding air only), as they would never fold any piece OTF, and never fold 2nd pair or better to barrel;
Heart I would overbet - overbet - shove when I have strong hand

-----------------------------------------------------------------
example:
Prima
2 Players

Stacks:
Hero (BTN) ($38.14) 191bb
BB ($20.42) 102bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) Hero is BTN 10Diamond 7Club
Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.20

Flop: 8Club 7Diamond 7Spade ($0.60, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.40, BB calls $1.40

Turn: AClub ($3.40, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5.80, BB calls $5.80

River: 4Club ($15, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $14.40, BB goes all-in $12.82

Final Pot: $40.64
Hero shows
10Diamond 7Club
BB shows
3Diamond 8Diamond

Hero wins $41.42 (net +$19.42)

BB lost $20.22

this would be my standard value line, as their cbet was 13 for bot1 and 22 for bot2
Prima
2 Players

Stacks:
BTN ($31.16) 156bb
Hero (BB) ($27.88) 139bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) Hero is BB 4Spade 4Diamond
BTN raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: 7Spade 4Club KDiamond ($0.60, 2 players)
Hero bets $1.50, BTN calls $1.50

Turn: JSpade ($3.60, 2 players)
Hero bets $6.30, BTN calls $6.30

River: AHeart ($16.20, 2 players)
Hero bets $19.60, BTN folds

Final Pot: $35.80

Hero wins $35.18 (net +$7.58)

BTN lost $8.20

They had ~5% 3bet, but folded anything less than JJ+ AK
Prima
2 Players

Stacks:
Hero (BTN) ($20.70) 104bb
BB ($45.40) 227bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) Hero is BTN JDiamond 8Club
Hero raises to $0.40, BB raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $2.40, BB folds

Final Pot: $3.80

Hero wins $3.80 (net +$1.40)

BB lost $1.40

This would be my standard bluff sizing on any street, as they folded based on street bets, not sizings
Prima
2 Players

Stacks:
Hero (BTN) ($28.85) 144bb
BB ($42.88) 214bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) Hero is BTN 3Diamond QSpade
Hero raises to $0.40, BB raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $2.40, BB calls $1

Flop: 8Club 5Heart 5Club ($3.40, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.30, BB calls $1.30

Turn: 9Heart ($6, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: 4Spade ($6, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BB folds

Final Pot: $7.50

Hero wins $8.53 (net +$3.33)

BB lost $2.30

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by BattleHunter: 08:13 11 Apr 2014.

New Post 11 Apr 2014 08:09 Search for Posts by BattleHunter Add BattleHunter to your Buddy List
tarantaleo
Black
Black

Registration Date: 07 Jul 2010

Glad to have u back in the poker world Vic.
Feel free to contact me anytime if u want to discuss poker or not poker w/ someone smile
Good luck , sure u ll be climbing limits pretty soon
Regards ,
Dany.
New Post 11 Apr 2014 08:53 Search for Posts by tarantaleo Add tarantaleo to your Buddy List
FFRRAANNKKIIEE
Bronze
Bronze

Registration Date: 30 Dec 2010

Hey Vic,

Welcome to EN Blogs smile

Really glad to have another succesfull player's blog around, I'm sure many will learn along while reading it.

I'm in for the journey,
Keep us updated please smile

Kind regards,
Fran
New Post 11 Apr 2014 09:16 Search for Posts by FFRRAANNKKIIEE Add FFRRAANNKKIIEE to your Buddy List
BattleHunter
Coach
Coach

Thanks for the responses guys : )

@tarantaleo - Thanks for the warm welcome smile If I am not mistaken I remember you as the guy that I've played with nl10 live waay back in the day grin grin . It is really motivating to see you progress so much while I was slacking, so I've got some catching up to do wink

@FRANKIE - Thanks you sir! I hope to be successful indeed after my hiatus, but hey, if anything pokerstrategy blogs is the place where one can see for sure that hard work pays off!

http://timessquarefashionweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/04.06.10-LinkedIn-Status-Update.jpg

I actually am not rushing to update my blog on purpose, usually when I get overly excited about something I end up overdoing it at the beginning and then getting bored/demotivated and stopping, which is why I have decided to start it slow and cap myself to 2-3 updates per week fish biggrin

I will post my weekly review tomorrow as I am still grinding it up today, but so far so good. I managed to hit my target at nl20, ended up beating it with 9.88bb/100, and just took my first "shot" at nl50. I say "shot" because it feels weird to call it so, considering I probably have most of my career hands on that limit (as a matter of raw # of hands, for me it probably goes like 50(rush)>25(rush)>100(regular) ), but it is part of the overall process to prove my discipline going in this.

As far as building up my habits goes, well it is not going very well, but I am learning A LOT in the process, and I actually think about being totally honest with you guys in this, with my weekly reviews, goals and workarounds for the problems that I find.

As an old tradition that I often used to do, I will finish this up with a song that I've been loving recently

New Post 13 Apr 2014 17:51 Search for Posts by BattleHunter Add BattleHunter to your Buddy List
FFRRAANNKKIIEE
Bronze
Bronze

Registration Date: 30 Dec 2010

^nice song, when you come to Croatia, I can meet you to 2Cellos smile

glgl
New Post 13 Apr 2014 21:34 Search for Posts by FFRRAANNKKIIEE Add FFRRAANNKKIIEE to your Buddy List
Varune

Registration Date: 24 Apr 2009

subbed!

laughed at those bothands. Heart
New Post 13 Apr 2014 22:08 Search for Posts by Varune Add Varune to your Buddy List
holmeboy
Bronze
Bronze

Registration Date: 29 Jan 2010

Hello sir,

How did the nl50 'shot' go? I'm playing nl20 on microgaming too and I've been thinking of taking 1/2 tabling shots at nl50. Have you experienced much of a difference between the limits? My wr is ~8bb/hh on nl20 so I'd like to think I'm good enough for at least b/e but any bit of info wouldn't hurt!
New Post 14 Apr 2014 22:25 Search for Posts by holmeboy Add holmeboy to your Buddy List
BattleHunter
Coach
Coach

@FRANKIE - 2Cellos are really awesome! If I come to Coratia I will be sure to "randomly" time it with one of their performances tongue out

@holmeboy - the "shot" went terrible; You know how it feels sometimes - lost all flips, my queens ran into kings, my kings into aces and my flushes overflushed; even the one 5b-shove bluff vs aggromonkey ran into aces. I did a few unsuccessful barrels too. All in all lost around 10bi in a matter of two sessions

http://i.imgur.com/Hg3ttBS.png

I had some life runbad too, internet stopped 4 times during a session :/ But I feel like I didn't tilt. I did feel bad during the session, but after I reviewed some hands, I felt much better knowing that the majority of the plays that costed me those buyins were actually the proper ones. I did find some poor plays as well, but I think I managed to learn from it so all is well in cakeland fish cool

http://www.mshove.com/cakeland/images/k-CakeVault.jpg

More importantly, here is how last week's goals/habits went:

http://i.imgur.com/vDChVOK.jpg

So, let's start with Tha Goodz:

Heart I stretched almost all days (6/7) - Can be better, but I Feel really good about this. I actively began stretching in the morning instead of drinking coffee, which I think is really healthy and also helps me use coffee more efficiently for when I really "need" it.
Heart I successfully managed to link my "Vision" to brushing my teeth - every time I brush my teeth I do it mechanically and think about what I want to accomplish in the longterm and how will that make me feel. I think this is really important to keep at, as it helps me give purpose to the smaller pieces in the present
Heart I meditated most of the days (6/7) - I am pretty happy with this; I want to eventually learn to meditate for longer time and learn to do it under different circumstances (right now I can't do it without headphones and near-perfect silence)
Heart Analyzing a hand 7/7 - I decided to start it small, to make sure I can keep this as a daily habit. I do most of the days analyze quite a bit more than 1 hand, but for now I want to keep the "requirement" to a minimum, to make sure I can be consistent at this for at least some time
Heart drink a cup of tea 7/7 - I love tea. I almost never drink tea. Why? Because I am lazy - lazy to go buy it from the storer; lazy to boil water; lazy to prepare it. This is why I decided to try this as a habit. So far so good smile

The Bads:

Club Read a book - I love reading all sorts of books, mostly fantasy and scy-fi (think Game of Thrones, Foundation series, etc), but the more time I spend on the computer, the more I slack in this department. It is not that I don't have time to read a chapter every day, I simply find all sorts of excuses to spend my time before sleep with other mindless internet activities. Well, no more of that! The first week went pretty bad, with many fails; but since Friday (till today included) I found out my solution - I downloaded the book I wanted to read on my kindle. When I have a huge tome I sometimes don't feel like carrying it around but with the e-reader I always have it with me and read every time I am out for a walk, or traveling to uni and back, so I actually both do something I love and on top of it, I do it in time that mostly is lost otherwise anyway, so even tho I failed this week with 3/7, I found my solution here!

Brushing teeth - You will also see it in this week's graph later on - i simply don't have this habit. For whatever reason since I was a child, I always had the habit of brushing my teeth once per day - either in the morning or in the evening. Almost never twice. So even tho it probably sounds silly to most of you, it is a big thing for me. I am still to find a 100% way of making sure I keep up at it, but for now all I have is to keep trying.

POKER:
I failed my goal of 25 hours by a bit less than an hour, which on it's own is not a big deal. The problem is the way that my time was allocated - Monday - when my motivation was very high and end of the week - when I simply had the deadline breathing down my neck. It is an awful habit, one that probably a vast majority of people have - to do things in the last possible minute, the last possible day before the deadline.
Ways to combat it? I will look to set a daily minimum from next week.

Absolutely the same is true with the videos, where at least I managed to cover my bare minimum program.

Analyzing (general) ranges is a whole different thing. I love poker math. I don't know why, but calculating 4bet calling ranges out of position and figuring out the +EV check/ship textures makes me fell nice. The problem? I can NEVER get myself to start doing it. I always find ways to procrastinate, always a better thing to do - even other things I don't like doing suddenly become appealing to me simply because I don't want to sit down and start...

Having figured this out, I have a few possible solutions (a friend of mine was a great help in coming up with them) that I will be trying in the next few weeks:

- Set an appointment with myself - say, every day 2pm - time for calculations. No other planning, no distractions, no nothing.

- Do it with somebody else - if I ask somebody to do this with me over skype, it will be harder for me to "slack off", knowing another person is waiting for me

- Donate - every time I slack off of doing this basic (and important) thing, have a certain percentage of my BR shipped to charity.

I will see which one of these will work best as a motivator and keep you guys updated smile

P.S. Geez, this post is super long. Better leave it with a song before the blog police comes for me!

dunno why but this tune is super catch, makes me smile and sing along ^^

"Just a man nothing more,
nothing less but none the less"
New Post 18 Apr 2014 11:25 Search for Posts by BattleHunter Add BattleHunter to your Buddy List
BattleHunter
Coach
Coach

Just found this old jewel in my VODs collection. It is a bit long-ish (~10 min) but it shows an extremely interesting study that is somewhat linked with all of us and is presented in a really fun way

"The surprising truth about what motivates us"

Brb re watching it myself now wink

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by BattleHunter: 02:01 26 Apr 2014.

New Post 26 Apr 2014 02:00 Search for Posts by BattleHunter Add BattleHunter to your Buddy List
StaticMoth
Silver
Silver

Registration Date: 22 May 2009

Welcome back, buddy! delighted

Solid posts ITT wink
New Post 29 Apr 2014 11:35 Search for Posts by StaticMoth Add StaticMoth to your Buddy List
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » | Add Thread to Favorites
Jump to:
PokerStrategy.com Forum » Poker Forums » Your Poker Blogs » Vic Strongman 2014