This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Brutal bad beat

• chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      hand1: lol at you GIACE, i had this debate with a live-game fish the other day. if he is not going anywhere, why not charge him for his draws?!??!?!?!?!!

option 1: you check/call every single street, letting him draw to his outs for free.

outcome: a. he fills up, and wins a massive pot. you got your money in behind
      b. a 4th spade comes on the turn/river, and he folds his trip aces. you win a small pot.

option 2: you bet/call then check/raise, or something like that, on each street. you charge him for his draw...

outcome: a. he fills up, and wins a massive pot. you got your money in ahead
      b. a 4th spade comes on the turn/river... but he's already got all his money in the pot. you win a massive pot, and you got your money in ahead

so do you see? there's no perfect way to play poker, but your way (really really really) sucks.
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Yeah I know there are better ways than others to play a hand and I know I didn't play the hand very well, but in my opinion I didn't play it as horrible as you think... I know it's better to win a small pot but to lose a big one but are you honestly telling me you never slowplay a hand?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      what chenny was basically saying was that slowplaying ≠ check/minraising a flush on a AAxx board.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Originally posted by GIACE
      Yeah I know there are better ways than others to play a hand and I know I didn't play the hand very well, but in my opinion I didn't play it as horrible as you think... I know it's better to win a small pot but to lose a big one but are you honestly telling me you never slowplay a hand?
      It's not about never slowplaying a hand. It's about knowing when you really have to get your money in and when not. On a paired board a flush is not the nuts, but it is very strong and you want to protect it. He had a strong hand aswell and probably thought he had the best hand.

If in the long term you keep on getting your money in on the turn, you will win money because you are a big favorite. If you keep on getting your money in on the river you will lose money because you always get it in behind because you played a hand wrong.

This kind of hands happen quite a lot, and that's where people start to think it's rigged because their very strong hand on the flop got outdrawn and then they still think it's the best hand on the river.
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Thanks for the help, I think I just made a huge breakthrough in my play... I've been thinking about your advice all day (or you know, from time to time today) and I think I've fixed one of my leaks.