Freebie 30/5: An Insyder on the German Forum - Hand review

• EuanM
      Insyder19 & are happy to present you with the final freebie of May 2012, featuring an in-depth forum hand history review, which takes place in the German forum. Don't worry if you don't know any German, as Insyder will guide you through the post as well as the dynamics of the hand.

The hand itself takes place at the Pot-Limit Omaha400 tables at PokerStars, with a $4 Big Blind, insyder himself is not involved in the hand although it does involve one of our German Black Members, as well as "DonkPredator", who is considered to be one of the best mid-stakes regulars on PokerStars, additionally, another villain who has been identified as a weak player is also involved.

Choose 480p for the best video quality!

For your convenience, we have the original hand post, with notes from Hero

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $4.00 BB (5 handed) :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

MP ($714.51)
      Hero (Button) ($1980.92)
      SB ($900.14)
      BB ($1435.26)
      UTG ($419.67)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A:heart: , 10:spade: , 6:spade: , 4:heart:
      1 fold, MP bets $16, Hero raises to $58, 1 fold, BB calls $54, 1 fold

Flop: ($138) 7:spade: , 3:heart: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $88, BB calls $88

Turn: ($314) 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $300, BB calls $300

River: ($914) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $914 | Rake: $2.80

Comments from the Hero:

MP is 48/19 fish, villain is DonkPredator, one of the best midstakes regulars on Stars. Flop is straightforward I think, but I could have bet slightly more to get it in on the river with 3-bets, with those stack sizes.

On the turn you could put in a check sometimes, to encourage the villain to make a mistake on the river and to strengthen our checking range (I think he bets 100% of rivers after our turncheck) overall a bet is the better option I think.

What range do you give him on the river? Does everyone bet the river here? If yes, how big will your bet be?
  • 2 replies
    • EuanM
      For all the Weekly Freebies:

• Ribbo
      Flop: A little over half pot is just right for balance reasons.
      Turn: We're either crushing here with over 90% equity or have about 40% against a better straight. I would prefer to see a smaller bet here, again about half pot just to keep in donk's weaker hands and possibly induce a raise. When we bet full pot we are only ever getting called by a nut straight. DonkPredator isn't an idiot, he doesn't shove because he doesn't have a redraw himself and he wants Hero to donk off his stack.

If Donk had a full house he would just go ahead and shove this river in to Hero, but checks knowing his straight is good and hoping that Hero makes a horrible river bluff with a busted flush draw.

Checking behind this river is obviously the best play as he isn't getting called by worse and he is just value owning himself a lot of the time.