This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 thought process

• redrawstump
      redrawstump
      Bronze
      Hey,

not so much interested in this exact hand as my thought processes. So:

Preflop: Easy cold 4-bet for value. Even though I'm deeper with BTN I'm going AI pre. When he calls he has JJ+ (few combos of slow-played AA), occasional poorly played lower PP and SC (these seem to show up occasionally in these spots in NL2), and AQ+.

Flop: I bet for value. Low flop so lots of overpairs in his range. When he shoves, I think it's for value (or maybe AcQc as a semi-bluff). Low flop makes sets unlikely. So if we were prepared to go all-in preflop and the board does not improve his relative hand strength then should this always be a snap-call? If there was a J or Q on flop I'd be bet/folding I think.

So does this sound sensible?

Cheers!

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $2.64 (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 15.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 21)
      Hero (SB): $7.19
      BB: $1.44
      UTG: $1.86 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      MP: $0.68 (VPIP: 18.75, PFR: 15.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
      CO: $1.80 (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 6.45, Hands: 94)

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K:club: K:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.06, BTN raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.28, 2 players) 5:spade: 3:club: 2:club:
      Hero bets $0.62, BTN raises to $2.04 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.42

Turn: ($5.36, 2 players) 8:heart:

River: ($5.36, 2 players) 3:diamond:
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop 4bet seems really huge. I think 50 cents should suffice. I think if you have an overpair it's a really easy bet/call. Unless the board is QJX, then I would opt for a check/call instead. Having to bet/fold KK seems like a really bad idea.

In short, on bad boards, take a c/c line instead. On a good board, bet and be EXTREMELY HAPPY to call a shove.

Thanks.
    • redrawstump
      redrawstump
      Bronze
      So should 2.5x be my standard 4bet sizing then if we're readless? I thought that being a little deeper I could be cheeky and raise a little more but I guess he may fold JJ and and air in his range to such a big bet.

Thanks for the advice. As you can probably guess he had AA but I felt pretty happy making the call, just wanted to double check my thinking :)

Cheers!
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      yeah that sucks - AA almost always jams it in preflop so you get coolered no matter what. I think he would have AK/QQ/JJ really often here. AK has 2 overs and a gutter so that is probably strong enough to raise (or at least he would think so).

2.5X is usually my standard, i guess you can go slightly larger when deep but remember that villain's 3bet size is pretty huge already at 10BB and I usually make 4bets smaller than 2.5X at 100bb stack depth.