This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL50 Deviation from basic SSS

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG+2: $38.61
      MP1: $51.33
      MP2: $9.50
      CO: $33.99
      Hero (BTN): $8.44
      SB: $10.47
      BB: $10.33
      UTG: $76.53
      UTG+1: $65.22

Pre-Flop: 6:spade: 6:club: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      4 folds, MP2 raises to $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: ($6.75) 2:spade: 7:spade: 5:club: (3 Players)
      MP2 bets $4, 2 folds

Results: $6.75 Pot

When this happened i thought i would be able to extract value if i hit my 6, but in retrospect i'm not so sure. What do you guys think?

edit; Oh, i also know i can't bargain on the prospect of a free turn card either.

edit 2; I'm now sure that this move was wrong. At best i can get $17.75 out of this hand. for $2 that price is just not good enough. To call this $2 bet i would need to be able to extract $40 to make it worthwhile.... (am i right?)
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sometimes it's worth to call with pockets but I don't do that with minraises. Try to just limp if there are at least 3 limpers. Without stats you can easily fold the hand. Lets see what judges advice.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      its sometimes nice to call a raise but not in this situation because you do not have pot odds, nor implied pot odds, for pocket pair you'll need at least 6:1 maybe even a bit more if i'm not mistaken...

In this situation you have about 2.5:1 pot odds and lets say about 5.5:1 implied if they make cbet and u go all in.

So in this spot its not profitable to call preflop.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black

edit 2; I'm now sure that this move was wrong. At best i can get $17.75 out of this hand. for $2 that price is just not good enough. To call this $2 bet i would need to be able to extract $40 to make it worthwhile.... (am i right?)
      you definately shouldn't call. you can overlimp in late position or overcall a minraise if the situation allows.
      I guess you mean you'd get $17 if you stacked both your opponents, but that's so unlikely that it's irrelevant.

For the call to be profitable you need to win more than $2 on average. you are only playing for set value, so if we assume that's you'll hit the flop 1/9 times and only win when you hit the flop, this means that you need to win about $18 on average every time you hit. You'll hardly every stack both opponents, and you won't always stack any opponents, plus you'll sometimes lose after hitting. so maybe you'll win $5 or something each time you hit (on average)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Gold
      If you were to deviate from basic sss then if you know they often fold to 3bets then a squeeze could be a good play. But for this you need a large amount of stats of both oppenents >1k hands. So in general a fold would be the best option.
    • greyboy
      greyboy
      Black
      Even with 20BB you have to fold here.
      You can only cold call a small pocket to a minraise if there is coldcaller in front of you and you have 20BB.