This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Ak

• piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      UTG+1:
      $9,01
      UTG+2:
      $10,86
      MP1:
      $5,77
      MP3:
      $7,41
      Hero:
      $9,6
      UTG:
      $2,16

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , A:diamond:
      UTG raises to $0,30, 4 folds, MP3 calls $0,30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,90, BB folds, UTG calls $0,60, MP3 calls $0,60.

Flop: ($2,80) 4:diamond: , 3:diamond: , A:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2, UTG folds, MP3 raises to $6,51 (All-In), Hero ???

Sorry about the format. I played it on Boss network and converted to PartyPoker format then to forum format.
  • 17 replies
    • AndriusLT
      AndriusLT
      Bronze
      Convert hand please. There are no stack sizes, suits.
      raise more pf, bet flop and probably call his push (Depends on board texture!)
    • piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      Yes. I see that my preflop raise is wrong. thanks. the format should be fixed now.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I think I would fold here, specially to unknown and if my image is tightish
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      insta call, he has a donk stack and he's calling preflop with that stack, he does that with Ax I believe. and the pot odds arent that bad too, you got a backdoor flush drawb and a backdoor straight draw and 3 more outs for a King, which should be something like 6 outs.
    • heartburn13
      heartburn13
      Bronze
      I see this another way im going to reraise enough to take
      the pot now or im going to flat call here AS I AM NOT TO
      HAPPY ABOUT PLAYING AK OOP. sorry for the caps but AK has
      cost me more than any 2 cards in the deck the truth is i want to
      maintain some pot control with my ak oop. i don't want to build
      a big pot here oop, with a hand that may need to get better.
      if we hit our flop there is a good chance of a continuation bet
      from our friend on the flop so its win win with a flat call here,
      we can milk him if we hit or we can fold for little money if we
      choose because we managed the pot here.
      even though i favour the flat call, I will reraise some of the time
      but my reraise will be quite large I want the pot now. and if I dont
      get the pot now I want him to be a believer that I got AA kk,
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      Originally posted by heartburn13
      I see this another way im going to reraise enough to take
      the pot now or im going to flat call here AS I AM NOT TO
      HAPPY ABOUT PLAYING AK OOP.
      Never, ever flat AK in this situation.

Ever.
    • heartburn13
      heartburn13
      Bronze
      Jumbles as I am a novice and here to learn, could you please expand on why never to flat in this situation please, as this could be one of my many leaks, any chance i get to plug 1 I take. ty in advance
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I have lost a lot with AK too, Im watching this topic closely lol
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      AK is a hand that works best heads up.

Multiway pots usually require stronger hands to win at showdown and AK is most of the time a top pair hand. In multiway pots, top pair becomes increasingly marginal the more players are in the hand. You want to hit top pair in a heads up pot to maximize the strength of AK.

You're basically donating a healthy chunk of your preflop equity by not reraising. Try equilating AK against one random hand, then add a second and see how your equity changes; or even better, put it against two hands you crush pf (one good ace, then add one raggy) and see how it changes.

I can see an argument for flatting with AK against one opponent oop if you have a specific read, but with two opponents+ you're just putting money into a pot post flop where you're more often going to be beat if you hit. Especially if, for example, you flat in this spot and get tricky on a K high board.

Basically, flat calling will cost you a lot more money post flop in the long run in this situation than 3bet/folding preflop or 3betting and check/folding a bad flop.
    • heartburn13
      heartburn13
      Bronze
      ok ty im going to do what u say and run some numbers, u make a lot of sense.
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Also it’s more easy to stack someone with top pair in a reraised pot than in a raised pot. You can make small and medium pocket pairs fold preflop or on the flop with a cbet. I think in a raised pot with AK you’re dealing with reverse implied odds in case you hit top pair. In a 3bet pot those reverse implied odds are smaller because people stack off lighter.

Originally posted by Jumbles
      AK is a hand that works best heads up.
      Try equilating AK against one random hand, then add a second and see how your equity changes;
      Actually even you will win rarely, it is more profitable to have more people in the pot, in an all-in situation with AK. Let’s say you are playing at a table full of calling stations who are calling an all-in with random hands. You go all-in for $1 with AK and 4 people call you. AKo against 4 random hands has ~36% equity. In a $5 pot you will get $1,80. Your net profit will be 1,80-1=$0,80
      If you have only one calling station at the table you will win more often. AK will have a 65% equity against a random hand. In a $2 pot you will get $1,30. But your net profit will only be 1,30-1=$0,30
      Of course, this is only available in all-in situations. On today’s online games this will never be the case. In a normal NL game I also prefer a heads up situation. But if I’m playing fixed limit at a full ring table and everyone limps and I’m BB, I will raise for value my AK even if I know nobody will fold. My equity will still be very good.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Re-raise with AK is good, since
      - you take pot down often pre-flop,
      - if called you can often take pot down with c-bet on the flop,
      - if called and you hit tptk then you can stack people who would call AQ, KQ, AJ.

I´d only made 3-bet a littlebit larger, since you´re oop
      Postflop: since board is drawy then it is easy call.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I dont understand how the drawy board makes this an easy call. ty
    • 2DHades
      2DHades
      Bronze
      Easy 3bet preflop and easy call on the flop, cause he is with not full stack. He beats you only with 33, 44.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      When board is drawy then players are mostly willing to gamble with straight/flushdraws
      If board would be K72 rainbow then you can assume that reasonable player would go all-in with two pair or better hand.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      When board is drawy then players are mostly willing to gamble with straight/flushdraws
      If board would be K72 rainbow then you can assume that reasonable player would go all-in with two pair or better hand.
      Doesn't matter : it's TPTK in reraised pot, which is more than often enough especially versus a 75 BB fish.
      At these limits with their passive way of playing draws, the difference between a drawy and non drawy board is pretty small in terms of your own equity.
    • canUwin
      canUwin
      Bronze
      only a set can beat you (or 2 pair but not easy to call a raise to 0.9$) so u are VS AQ or AJ or flush straight draw puss! definately call.