This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Advice on staking someone?

• TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      A guy I don't know, but have spoken to online, is probably about to blow the last of his BR. He lives off micros, so we are not talking big money. I would maybe like to help out. And it might be good experience to dip my toes in staking.
      Any advice?
  • 11 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, TheLandlordUK

If you *only* know this person online, you should definitely make certain that you have some sort of verifiable ID.

At a minimum you should have confirmation of name and address.
      The usual means are driver's license, utility bill etc.

You should also have an agreement on reporting frequency, and I would suggest that you transfer the stake in small amounts following the reports.

Last thought -- if he has blown through a bankroll, is he really the person you want to stake?

Why not watch the staking forum here? There are a fair number of worthwhile horses appearing there.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      don't.

that is best advise
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Last thought -- if he has blown through a bankroll, is he really the person you want to stake?

Why not watch the staking forum here? There are a fair number of worthwhile horses appearing there.

Cheers,
      --VS
      Thanks.
      I can understand his BR blowing in Asia.
      There are lots of acceptable reasons for needing staking.

I didn't know there was staking section. I will have a look thx.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there TheLandLordUK,

Just in case you're like me and liable to get lost, here's the link to the staking forum:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1554

Best regards,

Mal.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Thanks guys.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      don't stake someone you don't know, there's a really high chance (50%?) that he'll F you.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      don't stake someone you don't know, there's a really high chance (50%?) that he'll F you.
      Thanks Galvin. I enjoy your threads and learn a lot, but read them on a tablet that I'm not signed with , and can't comment on the excellent advice. I will need to bookmark them on my laptop.
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Hi Landlord,

I think the other guys are right you should meet with this guy before hand and discuss things...If this can't happen then I would suggest you didn't go for it.

If you are still looking to help someone out and help them improve I'm available ;) we can meet up the weekend and talk business...Just a thought.

BOWSER
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Stake people that have good reference or feedback history. It might sound very discouraging to some people seeking staking, but that's stone cold business relationships to you.

I wouldn't stake a person that I haven't heard about or haven't at least had a contact for a long while.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by B0WSER
      If you are still looking to help someone out and help them improve I'm available ;) we can meet up the weekend and talk business...Just a thought.

BOWSER
      I doubt I could help you improve as I'm playing so baad lately! :f_biggrin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

^^this 100%

If a personal friend of mine blew his BR and he asked me for a staking I MIGHT consider it. A person I only spoke to online I'd probably never do it.

I've staked people before that I don't know but that are trustworthy because they are coaches here or very active members with a good record etc…

You're better of taking the money and buy some beers then staking someone that blew his roll in my opinion.

Best regards

RasTweet