This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

When do I know if I'm running really bad?

• clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      How is the standard deviation from all in EV calculated?

I restarted playing NL50 about a week or so back and I've been running quite bad but I wasn't sure if this was normal. I think I'm about 15 BI below EV more or less. Is being these many BI below EV an extreme run of bad cards or is it quite standard?
  • 13 replies
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Its moderately bad. Not standard in the sense that its still unlikely. But not bad enough to be impressive. Don't know if that helps :coolface:

Oh wait, its pokerstars. Then its STANDARD! :f_cool:
    • Fiskantes
      Fiskantes
      Bronze
      Still stnd...
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy
      But not bad enough to be impressive.
      Haha. :D

But that still doesn't really answer my question. What would be really bad. Like how do I calculate the standard deviation over x number of hands?
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      You can't really calculate it on your own. I mean you could, but you shouldn't :P
      Just use HM and its SD stat.

Maybe filter your all-in hands. This way you will get x numbers of instances you were in "EV-allin" situation, you'll get your expected winrate (EV), take 100bb/100 SD and put it in variance calc.

If we just take 3,75bb/100 winrate (your all-in EV), 32k hands, 100bb/100 SD... Well then your results are nothing special. In fact, they are pretty standard. But of course that's not what you wanted to know :)
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      pretty standard if we take this into account

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Once again, a discussion opens up about all-in EV ?(

If you are the sort of player that goes all-in pre only with big pairs, and only go AI post w/ the nuts or near-nutz, you will always run above EV, simply because when you win you win 100% of the pot, but your EV is only around 70-80.

Remember too, that if you get folds, that does not show on the EV line at all, so if you like to shove FDs as a semi-bluff, it will not affect your EV if you get folds, you go way above EV when you win, and below if you lose.

I really don't think the EV line gives us any information that is useful for improving our games -- so I don't show it or look at it at all any more.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      If you are the sort of player that goes all-in pre only with big pairs, and only go AI post w/ the nuts or near-nutz, you will always run above EV, simply because when you win you win 100% of the pot, but your EV is only around 70-80.
      wait what? but when you lose you lose 100% of the pot...
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by oblioo
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      wait what? but when you lose you lose 100% of the pot...
      You never lose w/ big pairs though... :coolface:

Thanks for the edit -- I forgot to add that part.
      --VS
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      oh ha sorry i thought you were serious :f_eek:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Partly -- I did forget to add the downside part, but I am serious about disregarding the EV line.

It MIGHT have some use if we filtered only for hands that were all-in on or before the river.

I don't see, though what information it has that could help me improve.

Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers,
      --VS
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      I agree that it's fine and probably healthy to disregard your EV line. It is a slightly more accurate way to estimate your true winrate, but obviously variance comes in many more forms than just all-in EV.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      [x] when you know your running bad

• ggiants81
      ggiants81
      Bronze
      Ragney,, that was an ugly graph.. I can feel your pain.