w34z3l's 6max walkthrough - (microstakes edition)

• Binadas
      Binadas
      Bronze
      ok on to the homework for part 2:

I went through my (albeight pretty limited) database and tryed to come up with a "typical" limping range. For me (NL5-10@stars), it looks sth. like:

against fishy player who limp, I would go for hands with good equity, that
      have the potential to dominate the limpers range. I would rather not have such a chart positionally dependent, but rather make adjustments depending on the table.
      (I'd isolate wider in MP on a nitty table than in the BTN vs a super-aggressive BB...)
      so without much information a standard isolation range would prop. look sth. like

any comments are appreciated ;)
    • BoooGieMaNN
      BoooGieMaNN
      Bronze
      Hello,
      Nice series, definitely following them.

Theres one thing i noticed that i dont get:

In MP vs EP, CO vs EP, BTN vs EP, SB vs EP, BB vs EP, SB vs MP charts suited connectors like JTs, T9s, 98s are included in either flatting or 3bet range, but QJs is completely missing, also in CO vs MP there is J9s and T8s in 3bet range, but QTs is not included at all.
      Is this due to some domination problems or is it a "bug" in the ranges as i dont understand why fold QJs/QTs and play lower SC's and onegappers?
    • benjig93
      benjig93
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I added the xls file now, which should be possible to open in Excel 2003. Since I used the VB Macros (to configure action buttons), please make sure that the macros are enabled. I'm sure that the xlsm file is working with Excel 2010, and pretty sure that is working with Excel 2007 (although, didn't try it). xls file should be working in Excel 2003, but also, didn't try it. Have Office 2010 only..

I thought ti would be easier for me to have the file openned and click the buttons while playing, instead of searching ranges on the paper, at least untill I "memorize" the ranges, or adopt the concept behind them. So, hope this would help someone else.

About the colours, this is what I see:

Both files are available for download here.

Cheers!

EDIT: Added a pdf version.
      Thanks a lot, great work!!!
    • oskrgy
      oskrgy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alleen86
      Hello everyone!

Great video, w34z3l! Will help me alot with constructing 3bet ranges!

To make the learning process easier, I made an Excel file based on your ranges. These are two screenshots of using the sheet while playing:

You just click on the position you're at and then you can click on open range from that position, or ranges vs opponents from various positions.

The file is working in Excel 2010, and I think it should work in Excel 2007. You have to enable macros! It can be downloaded here.
      You are the best man.
      Your script is awesome and will make process so much easier for me.
      THx a lot and best of luck at tables.
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      benjig93 and oskrgy, thank you! I'm glad you like it and hope it will help you! :)
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      hey w34z3l will you ever talk in future how to react vs 3bets? :f_cool: would be great video from you :heart:
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Hi to all!

Will post my 2nd homework.

First would like to stress a couple of things that I'm starting with when thinking about iso-raising. First of all, if someone at the table open limps, I instantlly assume that he is a fish and I marked him with the fish-colour. There are rare occasions when that is not the case.

Seacondlly, if someone open limps, there is a big chance that he is not positionally aware. That being said, I think that we can agree on the fact that the position of the limper is not of much importance.

The thing which is important is our position at the table – how many players are left to act and are we going to be in position or out of position postflop in relation to the open limper. The less players left to act, the wider range we can iso-raise with. The more players (especialy aggressive ones), the tighter range. With the position postflop, we can also iso-raise the wider range.

There are some differences between limpers. Not all limpers limp the same range. Some of them are looser and some are tighter. We should look at limper's VPIP. If the limper is tighter, we can assume that his limping range is stronger and vice versa. So, if the his range is tighter, we should also iso-raise the tighter range.

The other important thing is how the limper reacts to iso-raising. Most of them are often calling, but sometimes we can find limpers which are often folding. If that is the case, we can iso – raise the wider range. Mathematically, if we assume that we are out of the blinds, and that we iso – raise 4X, we will show an instant profit if all players fold in >=62% of cases [4BB/(4BB+2,5BB)*100). That means that, approximatelly, against the limpers who usually limp – fold, we can iso-raise the entire range we are openning from every position (we have to construct the BB's iso – raising range).

The stack size of the limper is also important. I think that the smaller the limper's stack, the tighter and more value-heavy our iso – raising range should be and we should be prepared to go all preflop lighter.

The last thing I consider are postflop expectations. The more the limpers are folding to flop cbets, the wider our iso – raising range should be. Mathematically, if we assume that our cbet size is 2/3 of the pot, we will show a profit if limper folds >40% to flop cbets. So, if the limper's FtFlopCbet is >50%, I think we can isolate him with almost entire open raising range. I he folds >70%, we could even expand that range. We should be more carefull at the blinds and, of course, have to construct the BB's iso – raising range.

I also want to add that my iso-raising size IP is always 3BB + 1BB per limper and OOP it's 4BB + 1BB per limper.

While constructing charts, we can't include all of the parameters mentioned above, but we have to be aware of them while playing. While constructing my charts, I was considering our position and limper's FtFlopCbet.

So, here are the charts:

FtFlopCB<50%

MP (10,71%)

CO (15,38%)

BTN (29,26%)

SB (18,55%)

BB (25,64)

FtFlopCB 50%-70%

MP (17,65%)

CO (26,09%)

BTN (48,11%)

SB (23,08%)

BB (31,98)

FtFlopCB>70%

MP (21,87%)

CO (31,52%)

BTN (57,16%)

SB (29,86%)

BB (36,65%)

If the limper is unknown, I would use the 1st charts, to be safer. According to postflop play, if the limper is unknown, we could only take into consideration our relative position to the limper, hand strenght and assumtions based on average limpers/fish at the limit we are currently playing. With value hands againt fish is easy. I would bet flop, turn and most rivers, IP and OOP. On every aggression I would give up most of hands, except very strong ones, something like 2 pairs +, because fish are rarely bluffing. Against a fish we could sometimes consider 2nd pair, A-high or even K-high as a value hand.

If we hit a draw, we can cbet flop and turn, because, as elpsycho allready mentioned, we can expect the fish would pay us in case we hit, so it's profitable to build up the pot. Sometimes we also have a fold equity.

If we don't hit, which would often be the case, I think we could still bluff some boards, especially dry ones, on which we have more fold equity. I would bluff more IP than OOP, though. If our bluff on the flop didn't succeed, I think we should give up on further streets and bluffing the river against a fish should be totally rulled out.

That's it! :) Would like to see a video of how to react to 3bets, so hope one of them would cover that topic! Great job with first two!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So how do people playing on one screen have their ranges ready to look at?

I am interested because I play on my laptop, with no easy access to print off these ranges either. My plan is to have the Equilab with ranges open in the background, sort the ranges by my position, so I can quickly bring them up. I know some people have created macro enable spreadsheets, but I have no excel on my PC :(
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      keep working with ranges. They will go in your memory faster than you think :) Well i printed them yes and it was easier to work with them. but any way i looked at them only in first day. now they are in front just as reference if sometimes i`m not sure about myself.
    • SzamEE07
      SzamEE07
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

To make the learning process easier, I made an Excel file based on your ranges. These are two screenshots of using the sheet while playing:

You just click on the position you're at and then you can click on open range from that position, or ranges vs opponents from various positions.

The file is working in Excel 2010, and I think it should work in Excel 2007. You have to enable macros! It can be downloaded here.
      Thanks so much!
      Can you write the password of protection in xls? :)
      I want to customize the ranges.
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SzamEE07
      Hello everyone!

Thanks so much!
      Can you write the password of protection in xls? :)
      I want to customize the ranges.
      Since I don't use the same anywhere else, I can. :)

BD86tJzZ
    • SzamEE07
      SzamEE07
      Bronze
      Thx! :s_thumbsup:
    • mogollon53
      mogollon53
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, thanks so much for ur work Alleen86 is really awesome, but i have a doubt what means they gray area???
    • mogollon53
      mogollon53
      Bronze
      Never mind I just got it, is the RFI range wright???
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mogollon53
      Never mind I just got it, is the RFI range wright???
      Thank you!

Yes, it's a RFI of the position we are playing against.
    • neujoc
      neujoc
      Bronze
      @ Alleen86:
      First of all - thumbs up for your awesome effort ! :f_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup:
      IMO this kind of feedback compliments the effort the coaches put into producing high quality vids like w34z3l - already such a positive thread !

One minor sorrow: As an OpenOffice user I am not able to run the functions of the sheet (macro is VBA Script, OO uses Basic Script) - does anyone know a quick solution for this ?
      Would be just great as I like the idea / setup with the sheet running beside the tables on one screen....

Thx a lot
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by neujoc
      @ Alleen86:
      First of all - thumbs up for your awesome effort ! :f_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup:
      IMO this kind of feedback compliments the effort the coaches put into producing high quality vids like w34z3l - already such a positive thread !

One minor sorrow: As an OpenOffice user I am not able to run the functions of the sheet (macro is VBA Script, OO uses Basic Script) - does anyone know a quick solution for this ?
      Would be just great as I like the idea / setup with the sheet running beside the tables on one screen....

Thx a lot
      Hi neujoc!

Really don't know because I've never used OpenOffice. I only found this on the Internet:
      "OpenOffice.org 3 Calc can execute many Excel macros, but (for security reasons) you must manually enable this feature. Choose Tools > Options > Load/Save > VBA Properties and enable the Executable code checkbox."

So, maybe you could try that..
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by patrez
      w34z3l do you think that ATo and KJo is to weak to call BBvsCO?
      Vs a 3x open yes. Nothing wrong with 3b bluffing. They were not included in the charts as 3b bluffs because they don't have as good playability OOP in 3b pots as some of the speculative hands but ok to use them as bluffs from time to time.

Vs a 2.5x open they can probably be cold-calls.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Wee21Man
      I think your BRM is too loose, I prefer something like this :
      - move up to NL5 at 120 € move down to 80 €
      - move up to NL10 at 400 € move down to 300 €
      - move up to NL25 at 1000 € move down to 800 €
      - move up to NL50 at 2500 € move down to 2000 €
      Yeah sounds reasonable.

Any reason both 10nl and 25nl have 40bi?

I think 40bi might be unecessary for nl10 but is ok for nl25.

Exact BRM will differ from player to player though - it should vary depending on your winrate and style.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      @elpsycho

Great job creating iso-ranges from every position. And you are completely right - we should adjust our iso-raising ranges depending on the players still to act behind us.

Question for you regarding BB - Seeing as vs 1 limper we will be heads up anyway, do you think this should affect the range of hands we iso-raise?