Sadly, we have to ZOOM and see who has a bigger c***/d***/p****!

• EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Hello, PokerStrategy community!

My friend, who I met while playing poker few years ago, suggested me a wonderful idea. That’s a bet to play Zoom in PokerStars and see who will make more profit. As you can guess, I didn’t thought too long before accepting his bet, but let’s start this story from the beginning.

First of all, a little bit about me. So, I’m Justas, 20 year old guy from Lithuania. Right now I’m studying finances in university and I also have a job, but my schedule is kinda flexible so I’ll try to incorporate poker too. My friend Mantas is also a student, 2 years older than me. We love to spend our weekends away from home, esp partying, for fu*k sake, we even met each other at party. So, don’t expect a tremendous amount of volume from us, haha.

So, how familiar we are with poker? Nothing special I’d tell, when we met, we had almost the same bankroll, however I’m kinda on a nitty side with its management so I only played 25NL at that moment, while Mantas was playing NL50 comfortably. Thanks to him, I made a NL50 shot earlier than I planned and it went gooood, so good that I was the first of us who made a shot to NL100 ^^ My first shots here weren’t very successful, but still I managed to break that barrier almost at the same time as Mantas did.

And actually that’s it about me, I made some shots to NL200, but it weren’t very successful, I got tired of poker, wanted to have more free time, I was just graduated from school etc. and maybe that was a good time to push a brake pedal for me, maybe that was a mistake, who knows, but the hell, I’m not going to regret this decision.

On the other hand, Mantas stayed playing, it took his time, but he made it until NL200 and played here for a while. However, the students life has so many distractions, the volume he put into playing went down, add a huge downswing and in the result, he followed me and made a decision to take a break too.

Those breaks of ours continued for a very long time, esp for my case. While Mantas got hungry of poker after a little bit more than a year, it took me almost 2 years to get back into this world.

However, after a break Mantas didn’t played cash games, he tried himself in MTT’s, showed some good results and I won’t lie, it made a huge impact to my returning. However, I didn’t wanted to play MTT’s, they took so much time I didn’t have, so that’s why I was very intrigued by the idea of Zoom poker, you don’t need to table select, you don’t have to play “just 15 more minutes, because I can’t leave this table, I have a position on a huge whale” etc. ^^

So as you can see, we are really doing a huge impact to each other decisions. And this also wasn’t an exception. I started playing at 10NL Zoom and Mantas really wanted to join, repeat those good old times ^^ however it’s obvious that we can’t beat the higher limits the way we used to be. The games changed and PokerStars was also a site with toughest field. But there is no way this would stop us!

To make our journey more interesting, Mantas suggested me to take a bet. We really put some time to make it fair etc. So here it goes:

We are both starting from just 20$, this sum is kinda symbolic for me, because it’s the first and last deposit I made into poker from my own money when I was just 15 year old (but we won’t tell that to anyone, right?). I never gone broke, never had to re-deposit, there were only cash-outs after that, so those 20$ will stay in my memories forever.

We’ll play 250k hands in total at 6max Zoom tables.

There are no rules about bankroll management, maximum number of tables or something like that. The only one goal is to make more profit then your friend aka opponent/villain/the enemy of the world.

The winner gets 500Eur. For the ordinary student in Lithuania that’s kinda huge sum of money, I’ll remind you that a minimal salary in Lithuania is 300Eur/month and as a student you can’t expect to earn significantly more than that ^^

Additionally, every 50k hands there would be milestones for another 100Eur.

So, in total 900Eur bet. 100Eur every 50k hands and 500Eur at the final 250k hands mark.

We wanted to add extra 100Eur for the one, who gets to the 250k mark faster and make it 1000Eur in total, but rejected this idea recently, because we’re really not having that much time nowadays and we want to take things in more recreational perspective, not pushing too hard ^^

However, we are open to the ideas of you guys, because we really want to bet those 100Eur too ^^

Oh, and one more thing. If we’re going to bust our first 20$ deposit. We can make another, but in the final result the one who busts his roll will get the 10% penalty from his profit for every busted roll. However, this fine won’t affect milestones. We just wanted to make serious micro limits challenge, that’s why we incorporate this rule, there would be ne intentional re-depositing, just plain and simple “from 20$ till… who the hell knows, we only have 250k hands” ^^

I hope you guys will like that and we’ll have some chitchat going on ^^

I’m planning to make at least one post every week with results how are we going. Of course I’ll be checking this thread regularly, so if you want to ask something – go ahead. If I’ll see some interest, maybe I’ll post some funny hands or the ones where we need some advice. We’ll see ;)

Sorry for this wall of text, really didn’t planned to make it that long, 1000+ words is something after all ^^

For those who read it – thanks, and once again, I hope you’ll like and follow it ;)

It’s almost 4am now, so I’m better going to sleep, we are having a big day tomorrow after all - we’re starting to grind and we’ll see who has a bigger...!
  • 57 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Justas,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

Epic first post!

I love the idea of the challenge.

I hope you plan to post the results as the challenge progresses.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Wow - that is a pretty sick bet... Basically a 1000 Euro's for a bet that starts with $20 bankroll and only lasts 250k hands... you guys are :challenge: :fuckyeah: !!!

:gl:
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Bronze
      Looks like a pretty interesting challenge!

Would definitely like to see some hands/graphs on the way.
      GL to you both! :)
    • kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Bronze
      Crazy challenge, dfinately following. GL :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Hey, guys. Thanks for your kind words! I'm happy you like it ;)

@VorpalF2F, dannywratten; you'll definitely see the results of how the challenge progresses, I'm promising some hands too ;)

@Ramble; haha, thanks a lot, mate! You just really made me laugh with your memes :D

@kidzoltan; thanks mate! I see that you're running the cash games challenge by yourself, I'm gonna follow it too. Your story is really touching and I'm hoping you'll get well soon ;)

Also I made a deposit recently:

Still waiting till Mantas get back home though, we want to start at the exact same time ^^

p.s. any ideas how to make images visible instantly, not just links? In the post preview everything is fine, but when I submit a post, only url is showing :/ [FIXED]
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EnjoyThis

p.s. any ideas how to make images visible instantly, not just links? In the post preview everything is fine, but when I submit a post, only url is showing :/
      Just put the URL inside "img" tags - you can do this automatically by clicking on the 6th icon on the formatting bar (after B, I, U, etc...)

• EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      That's exactly what I did. Seems strange that in preview everything is fine, just as in your post, but when I confirm, pics doesn't show up... Maybe that's because of my status? We should see if it'll be fixed when I'll become bronze.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      because of your basic status the posting of images won't work. Only links. So you'll have to become bronze member at least for it to work. Sick blog, def gonna follow! :f_thumbsup:
    • Vycka73
      Vycka73
      Bronze
      wow, thats rare to see something that promising in blogging section :happy:

I hope you guys won't cancel this blog and challenge, subbed!

Linkėjimai iš Lietuvos!
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Sick challenge - will be following!
      GL!
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Bronze
      Cool challenge! :f_drink: GL to both of you and will definitelly follow. To refresh your preflop strategy a bit, you could use an excel tool I've made using w34z3l's ranges from the w34z3l's Walkthrough series. You can download the files here (xlsm version for Office 2007 and newer, xls for older, macros should be enabled).

To spice the things further, you can add let's say $50 reward to randomly chosen follower which would successfully predict a winner of the challenge. Ofcourse, the losser would have to pay. :coolface:
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      @vonki; thanks for explaining, that's what I thought too ;)

@Vycka73; haha, at least we're not planning to cancel anything, I can say that for sure :D I'm happy to see someone from Lithuania here too ;)

@IvicaIliev77; thanks, mate!

@Alleen86; haha, I was already google'ing a lot before getting back to poker, ant this was one of the things I found with my research :D I'll definitely take a better look at that chart you made ;) Also that's kinda interesting idea, but I would love something more, not just guessing the winner. We'll see, I'll talk with Mantas and maybe we'll implement something like that in the near future, thanks for offer though ;)
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      I appreciate how the nl2 players welcomes me :welcome:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $1.01 (50.5 bb)
      BB: $3.09 (154.5 bb)
      UTG: $2.04 (102 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2.02 (101 bb)
      CO: $1.96 (98 bb)
      BTN: $2.25 (112.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with :4d: :4h:
      UTG raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.21) :Qs: :Ah: :4c: (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.13, CO folds, UTG calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.47) :3d: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.27, UTG calls $0.27

River: ($1.01) :4s: (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.58 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.56 and is all-in

Results:
      $4.13 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: :Qs: :Ah: :4c: :3d: :4s:
      UTG showed :Ac: :Th: and lost (-$2.02 net)
      Hero showed :4d: :4h: and won $3.99 ($1.97 net)

p.s. I just literally changed every card picture in this hand history manually, because there was ton of url's instead.. Maybe I'll wait when I'll be given bronze status before posting more hands :sifflote:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by EnjoyThis
      p.s. I just literally changed every card picture in this hand history manually, because there was ton of url's instead.. Maybe I'll wait when I'll be given bronze status before posting more hands :sifflote:
      In Holdem Manager, when you view a hand, there is a button in the lower right-hand corner of the view window.
      Next to it is a dropdown that allows you to select PokerStrategy.com as the default format.
      Oh -- just to make sure I did that, and find that the default PokerStrategy.com format refers to icons on HM2's website.

To save yourself the trouble of manually replacing them, you could use notepad's search and replace function.
      I use UltraEdit as my text editor, and have a macro that does all this and more.

Oh -- nice hand!!!

Peace,
      VS
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Hey there!

Sweet challenge you got there, I'm definitely following your blog. Nice start is always, well...nice :) Btw, what are your expectations for this challenge, where would you like to be at the end / where do you think it's possible for you to get?

Regards,
      MJQ.
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      @VorpalF2F; yeah, I also used pokerstrategy.com as default, so was kinda surprised it doesn't work. Thanks for problem solution though! But the first strategy points, and with them my bronze status, should be added today, or at worst tomorrow. So I believe I can wait till that ^^

@MJQuads; thanks, mate!

You ask about expectations, huh..? That's really hard to tell actually ?( I'll try to be very aggressive with BRM at the first 2 levels. As you see, we're starting with just 10 buy-ins in nl2, and Mantas already was down to 12$ yesterday (he is up to the starting point now, so sadly, he didn't busted yet :D ) the luck will have a huge factor at the beginning, if I'll make my first shots at nl5 and nl10 successful I believe I can take things more conservatively from NL10 and maybe it would be possible to even reach NL50 at the end of the challenge. However, I would be happy with healthy roll at NL25 too. That would be about 800-1.000$, so maybe that's my expectations at the moment.

However, as I said, it highly depends on Mantas results too. For instance, I would be more happy to play conservatively from beginning, but I know that Mantas would be aggressive with his BRM and if he won't struggle, I'll be in a huge disadvantage, so I should adapt and risk more too. On the other hand, if somehow he busts I could take things slower, more steadily. First days are very important, so I'll try to take a lead or at least not fall down too much :)

I also asked Mantas the same question, he was very strictly about that. His only expectation is to beat me and win the bet :fuckyeah:
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Whaaat? :ayfkm: But I'm not even mad, the field is so soft in nl2 :profit:

SB: $5.10 (255 bb)
      BB: $13.12 (656 bb)
      UTG: $2.01 (100.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $4.39 (219.5 bb)
      CO: $1.17 (58.5 bb)
      BTN: $12.49 (624.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with :Ad: :As:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.19, Hero raises to $0.52, BB calls $0.33

Flop: ($1.05) :9s: :9h: :2s: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.35, BB calls $0.85

Turn: ($3.75) :2c: (2 players)
      BB bets $3.62, Hero calls $2.52

River: ($8.79) :Jd: (2 players)

Results:
      $8.79 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: :9s: :9h: :2s: :2c: :Jd:
      BB showed :Kd: :2d: and won $8.49 ($4.10 net)
      Hero showed :Ad: :As: and lost (-$4.39 net)
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Hey! Thanks for the explanation, that's what I was wondering yes ;) Though, it might be better if you two didn't know for each other results between the challenge, since it would prevent the other guy from slacking around if he is far ahead :badteeth: But anyway, GL and following!

MJQ.
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      @MJQuads; heh, we thought about that too, but still chose to share results, because otherwise it would be just a standard grinding and hoping that you made enough profit at the end ^^

Quick update:
      I tried to put a little bit more volume before Christmas - 7.8k hands in 3 days while playing with 2 tables only. I planned to play 4 hours every day, now I see that my average is 4.5 hours, so I really like it.

Mantas right now is on 8k hands, but most of the time he played with 4 tables. Only at the 1st day ending and first half of the 2nd day he played with just 2 tables (he tried to concentrate more after his falling to 12$).

We're planning to share results when we hit the 10k hands mark, as we're progressing almost at the same speed now. However, as the challenge progresses I believe it wouldn't be possible, so we'll be reporting every once or twice in a week. We'll see. As for now, I'll just tell that we're both in green zone ;)

Also, it seems that I'm having some problems with my PokerStars account being linked to PokerStrategy, that's why I'm still without my bronze status. However, I'm trying to solve that, everything is fine from PokerStrategy side as it seems after some talking with their support, now I'm waiting for PokerStars support answer. I think I'll have to proof my identity or something like that and that would be it ;)