This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Would you fold the 2nd Nuts in a High Roller Event?

• CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      In today’s SNG coaching we started talking about this hand from the PCA highroller event:

Here’s the Pokerstars interview with both players giving their thought process on it:

Here is an interesting analysis from the players themselves: http://bcove.me/lm7pq53b

I’d be very interested to get your comments on this hand in the thread, and we’ll start off the next SNG coaching (January 21) by discussing it + I'll give my opinion.
  • 13 replies
    • vaulsc
      vaulsc
      Bronze
      Thanks for bringing this one up here Colin. I think it was an interesting hand and hearing Kurganov's explanation of it gave me a lot more respect for his game (I already had a lot). It does indeed seem like a hard spot to pull off a bluff, and by the sound of it, Kurganov gave a lot of weight to the physical tell side of it also.
    • vaulsc
      vaulsc
      Bronze
      Just noticed this live footage of the hand for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQQ3aBlXXQ

Sound quality not great on that one, there's probably a better version of that specific clip around.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      At first i was like: "lol, 2nd nuts in Blind vs Blind situation... i never fold".
      And then I see my average stake and theirs - probably I shouldn't lol too much :-)
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks for the Youtube link Vaulsc, very interesting to watch the footage.

Sven I had the exact same thought ... so I will just have to increase my ABI by a factor of 1000 before this Wednesday's coaching :)
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Easy fold. He's either catching a bluffer or he's lost. Read dependent to an extent. Unless the guys a maniac, snap fold river.

I would have gone for raise / fold line on river all day long.
    • SWScuracao
      SWScuracao
      Bronze
      Can't mizzy also have trips in his range? (+2 combo's for his bluffing range?)
      It's a bit crazy, and he probably wouldn't have shoved on the riverraise 'cause of the flush, but maybe

just maybe.... any :Qh: :Qx: combo kinda works as a blocker for the heart flush right?
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      very interesting hd to analyse (n1Collin!)

this is way above my level of poker knowledge tbh, and I very much doubt I will ever be able to play a HR, but fwiw I think Mizzi's raise on rvr polarises his range somewhat (ie. contrary to the commentator, I think he could just about call profitably with QQ/55), and I totally disagree that it's an 'easy fold' for Igor - the yt title sorta contradicts that view - also interesting that they had opposing views on whether the rvr was a good spot to bluff

- kinda amusing that Sarah is nodding along, but clearly a bit bemused (as would I be, btw) as Igor explains his high-level thought-processes and combinatrics deduction

these plays are what separates the great from the good imho so wpwp to Kurganov for backing his judgement in a pressure-spot, and wpwp to Mizzi if indeed he was running a bluff.
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      I have no idea, i am not even near the level of these guys, but for post action judgement: Mizzi didnt look like the guy who got denied value in a nuts vs second nuts situation, check his mimics as he stacks his chips, or maybe thats acting? Heck knows, the only way a fish like me finds it out, is if i build a time machine and go back there and flip his cards.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Its not about being near their level

They just have money
      Fish exist at every level mate
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      Originally posted by iSoOwnYou
      Its not about being near their level

They just have money
      Fish exist at every level mate

I agree with the last statement, but I wouldn't classify Kurganov or Mizzi as rich fish/whales by any stretch of the imagination
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hi yeah I was speaking generally about this buyin didn't mean to reference particular players here!
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Pretty simple, Mizzi never has Qhigh flush, cause he'll usually cb tp otf. Don't think he's ever 3b jamming the Thigh flush vs such a huge x/r when Kurganov can have all higher flushes. So Mizzi either has the nuts or the nutblocker. Hard to find bare :Ah: that he x/b on the flop and then goes bet turn and b/s river.
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks for all the comments, I'll definitely be referring to them in the coaching today :)