This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] Flush draw vs shove

• hanusmarek
      hanusmarek
      Gold
      Hey guys, Villain is 26/10 after 100 hands. I actually think that I played it ok, but I need confirmation, since similar thing happened to me like 8 times in single session. Or should I play it differently?

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $5 (100 bb)
      BB: $6.87 (137.4 bb)
      MP: $15.36 (307.2 bb)
      CO: $1.33 (26.6 bb)
      BTN: $5.45 (109 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ah: :Jh:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.17, Hero raises to $0.52, BB folds, BTN calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.09) :4h: :Qd: :9h: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.52, BTN calls $0.52

Turn: ($2.13) :7d: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.02, BTN raises to $4.41 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $4.17 pot ($0.17 rake)
      Final Board: :4h: :Qd: :9h: :7d:
      Hero mucked :Ah: :Jh: and lost (-$2.06 net)
      BTN mucked and won $4 ($1.94 net)
  • 4 replies
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      You block hands that connect with the flop holding a jack.
      But you have to think what to do if villain comes up with a big raise. OTF would be a shove with the nutflushdraw, because you hold something like 50% equity.
      OTT I prefer to take the conservative approach. If you bet again and he shoves it's an easy fold, just like you did. You're gettting 2.2 odds roughly, and that's not good enough to pursuit your draw.
      I'd rather check-call against an unknown. I think a check-raise won't work here because it's NL5.
      I'm only double barreling this if I have stats on him that corroborates that play, i.e, high % on fold to turn cbet.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      I don't know why check/raise "wouldn't work because it's NL5".
      I think it's close between more or less every options on the turn here, depends on villain, dynamic etc, and as played fold and don't beat yourself up reminding it, next hand !
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MyFloXyBabY
      I don't know why check/raise "wouldn't work because it's NL5".
      A player that calls your 3bet PF, calls your cbet OTF, bets after you check OTT and folds to a check-raise?
      I haven't seen one.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      I didn't know it was a special and rare species of players that couldn't develop well in an NL5 natural environment. But I'm no ethologist expert.