Little dissapointed with what Pokerstrategy has to offer.

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Sorry guys, but it's true.

I'm a cash game grinder and always will be. I've tried tourney's/SNG's and meh; didn't like it.
      I first found pokerstrategy to be a great learning tool for players like me, and players like anyone; But apart from videos and articles there's not much to study with.

What am I talking about? Coachings.

Everyone here is offered coaching sessions by coaches in many formats, whether that be BSS NL10 for bronze members, or a $109 tourney for higher ranked members.
      Living in Australia though, the only ever opportunity I have to visit these coachings is an SNG coaching from chenny888 that only comes around once in a while, and being a Cash game player I do find this kind of pointless; (although chenny888 has my respect from the coachings I have visited).

I'd like to learn more about cash games, and visit some cash game coachings; but short of waking up at anywhere from 2 to 4 o'clock in the morning, this is nearly impossible to do for an Australian like me.

So my question is,

Is pokerstrategy going to impliment some time slots for different Countries and Continents?

Thanks.
  • 24 replies
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      +1

The timezones are really hard to deal with for us :s_cry:
      Are there anymore Aus/NZ members worthy of a coaching position, or southeast asia perhaps...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      More coachings at times suitable to Australasia/South East Asia would be great, but in all likelihood there wouldn't be enough to make the coaching viable.

Ofc, anytime PokerStrategy.com want to arrange with TerrorBlade to fire up a Sunday evening FL SH coaching, I'm there baby!
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Yeah I understand why it is how it is, just pleading for some more localized content in hopes there are people willing to provide it :D

That said, chenny8888's coaching is great, and every time I catch it I'm really impressed.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello SheepMoose,

The problematic of finding an ideal coaching time when you have members from Europe, the Americas and Australia is not a new one. In the past we have had several attempts at creating time plans that are as fair as possible to everyone, yet it is not necessarily easy to please everyone in all aspects.

Having regular coachings at certain times has two major requirements:
      #1) Enough members interested in a coaching of that format, for that given time.
      #2) A coach that is willing to coach at the particular time.

With most of our members and coaches being from Europe or the Americas our coachings are also configured like this. As our AUS/NZ membership grows, it will be inevitable to also provide them with convenient coaching solutions, yet at the moment there is still a relatively low level of demand.

I will pass this thread on to our coaching coordinator though.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      a team of technicians are having trouble sorting out the problems with the elephant, so sadly i think you've no chance getting any coachings sorted!

on the whole i'm beginning to question ps in general, seemingly it's a 'free' site, i know they make their money from the rake we earn, but if they can afford headquarters in gibralter surely then they can sort these 'minor' problems.

think you'll find it's a german formed business, so they will only concentrate largely on europe.

haven't got the links unfortunately, but if you care to look on the 2+2 forum you'll find out quite a few eye opening topics regarding ps.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello ukcoolcat,

The Elephant is a complex piece of software which was heavily delayed in its development due to us needing to replace the programmer team that was working on it. As such we are sorry for the delay in this matter, yet I fail to see the relationship between this and the question for more non-European coachings.

Creating a powerful tracker alternative is not what I would consider a 'minor' problem and the matter of the coaching is, as I stated above, also something that is dependent on the demand. Since our AUS/NZ member base is still not that large - its simply not self-evident that we host a full coaching assortment during a time in which barely anyone would attend the coaching.

We are by far no longer just a "German" company though. With 17 different language communities we are more international than ever before - and still diversifying.

We strive to give the best possible offer to all of our members and are as always still a free service.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      EDIT: SoyCD got there before me :)

It is illogical to have a European coach for the Australia/NZ crowd as the timezones would be too inconvenient for the coach, thus there's nothing PS can do aside from searching out Australian or New Zealand talent capable of coaching.
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      eskojones, did i say it would be logical to have a european coach for the aussie/kiwi members? answer:no, you addressed the problem yourself by saying, quote 'there's nothing PS can do aside from searching out Australian or New Zealand talent capable of coaching.' unquote, is that unreasonable then?

soycd, i understand the complexity of the software, but surely the infrastructure is already there? logically there would be no need to change elephant in it's entirety, or is there?

the 'minor' was written very much tongue in cheek, however still relevant, the fact that you are not a native english speaker is probably the reason that the irony was lost on you, i myself can speak german as my second language but i also miss certain things that are meant in a different manner, this is normal with most people that speak other languages.

so, are you saying that ps is not owned by germans?

as for the international bit, check your language list, not to be argumentative but you can easily say that 12 out of the 17 are european, thereby negating your statement, a simple check of eu countries will point this fact out.

how can ps be a free service when you earn rakeback from players that have signed up to poker sites through ps? this fact in itself negates the 'free service', ps runs on a 'carrot and donkey' scenario, we as members pass a test and are sponsored by ps, in the hope that the sponsored will go on to play at higher levels thereby increasing the amount of rakeback earned by ps, this is also proved by member status, the more ps points earnt entitle you to more advanced information from ps, but the member has to play a substantial amount of hands, thereby technically 'paying' for the information through rakeback, so hardly 'free' is it?

i signed up through ps and was playing .50/1 nl holdem at mansion and was about to step up to 1/2, i was up to gold status on here, but the problems with the elephant soured it for me, so i decided to play at a site i get rakeback, playing at the same level i managed to substantiate my winnings a great deal, therefore i am aware of the sort of rakeback that ps earns from their members, so please don't insult me with this 'free' crap, i can't argue that you offer a service that is relatively cheap, but nothing in this world is for free.

how many companies do you know that aren't in it to turn a profit? easy to answer: none! and ps is no exception.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      PS may get profit from its members but it is still a free service for the members.

- A member on PS still gets all the Rakeback (and often more) available to any other poker players on the web.

- Plus you get some strategy advice (which you can follow or ignore as you like) again completely for free.

- It is rather tough that there are no coaching available in certain times of day. But that is really your problem, sometimes I can't make a coaching session because of work or other commitments, I have to make do. Perhaps you should stay up late for the coaching occasionally?

- Another solution might be that they could record the coachings? That way they can still be useful without time problems.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Player on tilt imo
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ukcoolcat
      eskojones, did i say it would be logical to have a european coach for the aussie/kiwi members? answer:no, you addressed the problem yourself by saying, quote 'there's nothing PS can do aside from searching out Australian or New Zealand talent capable of coaching.' unquote, is that unreasonable then?

soycd, i understand the complexity of the software, but surely the infrastructure is already there? logically there would be no need to change elephant in it's entirety, or is there?

the 'minor' was written very much tongue in cheek, however still relevant, the fact that you are not a native english speaker is probably the reason that the irony was lost on you, i myself can speak german as my second language but i also miss certain things that are meant in a different manner, this is normal with most people that speak other languages.

so, are you saying that ps is not owned by germans?

as for the international bit, check your language list, not to be argumentative but you can easily say that 12 out of the 17 are european, thereby negating your statement, a simple check of eu countries will point this fact out.

how can ps be a free service when you earn rakeback from players that have signed up to poker sites through ps? this fact in itself negates the 'free service', ps runs on a 'carrot and donkey' scenario, we as members pass a test and are sponsored by ps, in the hope that the sponsored will go on to play at higher levels thereby increasing the amount of rakeback earned by ps, this is also proved by member status, the more ps points earnt entitle you to more advanced information from ps, but the member has to play a substantial amount of hands, thereby technically 'paying' for the information through rakeback, so hardly 'free' is it?

i signed up through ps and was playing .50/1 nl holdem at mansion and was about to step up to 1/2, i was up to gold status on here, but the problems with the elephant soured it for me, so i decided to play at a site i get rakeback, playing at the same level i managed to substantiate my winnings a great deal, therefore i am aware of the sort of rakeback that ps earns from their members, so please don't insult me with this 'free' crap, i can't argue that you offer a service that is relatively cheap, but nothing in this world is for free.

how many companies do you know that aren't in it to turn a profit? easy to answer: none! and ps is no exception.
      Hello ukcoolcat,

Fact of the matter is that our service isn't based on taking away our member's rakeback. Quite to the contrary; due to our weight in the poker market we are able to get the best deals for our members at all of our various partner sites. That means in terms of legal rakeback - that our members receive the highest 'rakeback' at any of our partner sites.

If you combine that with exclusive freerolls, promotions, races, highest deposit bonuses, our TOP250 promotion plus the content, we are not only free but also an added benefit for any player that plays at our partner sites.

It is not a secret that we as a company need to make profit in order to function, yet this in no way interferes or contradicts the fact that we are free (and more). Playing on non-affiliated accounts or accounts tracked through other affiliates results in equal or LESS rakeback/bonuses and none of the other additional benefits ( content, support with poker room problems, etc. ).

In regards to the Elephant: I am not programmer and not informed about what kind of changes were or are necessary - yet I do know that in order to fine tune or optimize performance issues - it can potentially be necessary to re-write or re-structure large amounts of code. As such just having an architecture isn't enough- if the existing architecture has flaws in it.

The company is of course originally German but ownership has nothing to do with our focus, which is certainly international. International languages like Spanish, French, English and Portuguese means that we have an extremely large memberbase in the Americas and have members from nearly all countries of the world.

I can only repeat what I said before; we are a free service and hope to continue expanding internationally in order to provide the best service possible to poker players from all over the world.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      did i say ps was taking away members rakeback? answer: no, i stated that i was aware of the amount that ps earns by way of rakeback through it's members which is a totally different matter, please read carefully and understand what i'm writing soycd.

to readdress the 'free' issue, everything i stated in my last post remains the same, and my question is also the same, how can you possibly say it's a free service?

and i quote, 'If you combine that with exclusive freerolls, promotions, races, highest deposit bonuses, our TOP250 promotion plus the content, we are not only free but also an added benefit for any player that plays at our partner sites.' unquote, yep this looks good, but again it reiterates what i said, promotions, deposits etc, are all designed to make you play more, thus generating more profit for ps, how else can they have an hq in gibralter, and pay wages, yours included?

if people care to look, all the information that is provided by ps can be found on the internet, 2+2 forum is also a good place to find this information, and there it really is 'free', free in meaning you don't have to sign up and earn them rakeback, admittedly there is no $50 carrot dangled to get people to sign up, but you can get virtually everything there that you can from ps.

once again soycd you are insulting my intelligence, you offer a service, as does any business, no one can deny that, but it comes at a price, as with any business, if people want to be brainwashed by ps into believing it's all for 'free' then fair enough, i for one am a free thinker and know this isn't correct, but each to their own.

lennonac, 'player on tilt imo', you couldn't be further from the truth, but clearly you are one of the people i'm referring to, just blindly accepting, i suggest thinking more logically to what i've written, maybe then you will realise.

smileyphil, 'PS may get profit from its members but it is still a free service for the members.' do you realise your own contradiction in this statement?

tbh, i can't be arsed with ps anymore, as i already stated, everything offered by them can be obtained elsewhere, and actually for 'free', hand charts, pokerstove(ps equilator), strategies etc, etc, etc, bonus whoring can also be acheived, without earning a third party such as ps money,

don't get me wrong, i've my own business, and i look for profit anywhere i can, after all it's the bottom line that counts and you need an edge just as you do in poker, but what is annoying me is that they think they can kid people into believing their own propaganda, everyone has an advertising gimmick, and ps clearly have theirs, cue 'free'.
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Good.
      Odd how much can be lost in translation from english to... english. ?(
    • Rubbertoe84
      Rubbertoe84
      Bronze
      Ill make it very simple for you, do you PAY for the service? answer: NO, therefore it is free for you, its as simple as that. of course ps makes a profit, but it doesnt come out of your pocket does it?
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Man...

Do you pay anything to ps.com? NO. Thus, the service is free. Period.

Ps.com deals with pokerrooms are none of your business - they don't affect you in any way. You pay the same rake if you've signed through ps.com as you would if you've signed without their refferal code.

You don't like it - move along, just don't spam the forums with some conspiracy theories of ps.com "brainwashing" people and so on.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I really don't see what you're so aggitated about. You're saying that the service isn't free because the members have to play poker in order to obtain it. Like they wouldn't do that anyway?

I don't know what your definition of free is but when I'm getting something of value for doing something I would do anyway even if I was getting nothing extra for it then this thing comes at no additional cost to me and is therefore free.

And then you state that all the infromation can be found elsewhere on the internet. While I believe that to be true you would definitely have to invest some energy and time and search for it while PS offers it all in one place and in a convenient package therefore cheaper IMO.
    • pokermum69
      pokermum69
      Bronze
      It would indeed be very useful to record the coachings and put them in an additional section of ps!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello ukcoolcat,

I can assure you that I read your post carefully, the problem is that the line of thought that you are presenting has logical fallacies.

I will say it again; PokerStrategy.com is a free service. When I use the word free I use it as defined in most English dictionaries ( * provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment: e.g. free parking; a free sample. ).

A member does not have to pay anything in order to be a member of PokerStrategy.com or to take advantage of our offering. That is a fact. In order to better explain to you why you don't pay anything to us let me illustrate the nature of affiliate deals:

Poker Player -- pays rake--> Poker Room ---pays commission--> Affiliate

As you see a poker player pays rake to the poker room he plays at and if this player is tracked through an affiliate, the poker room pays the affiliate commission.

#1 For a PokerStrategy.com member it therefore looks like this:

Poker Player -- rake--> Partner Room ---commission--> PokerStrategy.com

As you see the player does not actually pay any money to us - he simply pays the rake that he would pay anyway. This amount of rake does not change whether he is tracked through us or not. He always pays the same amount of rake. To show the contrasts here how it looks for a player tracked through another affiliate (e.g. 2+2 who also have affiliate links all over their website) or no affiliate at all:

#2 Other affiliate:

Poker Player -- rake--> Poker Room ---commission--> Other Affiliate

#3 No affiliate:

Poker Player -- rake--> Poker Room

The tremendous difference between PokerStrategy.com (#1) and the other two options (#2+#3) is that we actually RE-INVEST a large part of that commission into benefits for the players. That means we invest into promotions, into coachings, into videos, the production of software, articles, giving rakeback, etc. You actually have a real added benefit by being tracked through PokerStrategy.com - while e.g. in scenario #3 you are simply paying the same amount as rake as in #1 but have no benefit at all for it.

YOU as a player always pay rake. You pay it to the poker room. When you are tracked through us, the Poker room pays us for having brought you to the site, but this is not of any extra cost to you - and happens without your involvement.

As such I can only repeat once more. We are a free service. We aren't a non-profit organization and I have never tried to say that we are. It is not a big secret that we also need to make a profit in order to be even able to offer the service that we offer. I don't however see what point you are trying to make and why you are insisting that us making profit contradicts with the fact that we are free.

You have two two supermarkets, e.g. Carefour and Aldi and you want to buy a carton of milk. You go into the first and find a carton of Milk for 1,00€. You go into the next super market and find the same or even better carton of milk for half the price. Are you still going to go and complain about them making a profit off selling you that milk? Because this is somewhat how it is coming across.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • OrcaAoc
      OrcaAoc
      Gold
      if people care to look, all the information that is provided by ps can be found on the internet, 2+2 forum is also a good place to find this information, and there it really is 'free', free in meaning you don't have to sign up and earn them rakeback, admittedly there is no $50 carrot dangled to get people to sign up, but you can get virtually everything there that you can from ps.

How would you know if you never had a status higher than gold :rolleyes:
      This is just totally ignorant and it isnt true either.