Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $5.06
      Hero:
      $4.93

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:club: , K:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) 7:diamond: , J:spade: , J:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.95) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60.

River: ($2.15) 4:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.50, SB raises to $4.01 (All-In), Hero calls $2.38 (All-In), SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $9.91

Was it correct to call his all in on river?
  • 8 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      His line realy represents FH or at least Jx. Bet, bet, bet here is right, but river call is close. Dont see him doing this enough often with worse hands. Dont think that he pulls some grazy bluff on river or thinks he is ahead with QQ or weaker. But really I dont know to call or not.
    • dingdeng
      dingdeng
      Bronze
      this guy called flop and turn
      It seems like he got sth
      I'd like to check on river ,jusr make it sd
      If we bet here,only better hands would call us
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by dingdeng
      this guy called flop and turn
      It seems like he got sth
      I'd like to check on river ,jusr make it sd
      If we bet here,only better hands would call us
      In theory i agree with you, for him to call 3 barrels he would have to have Jx+. In practice it's nl5 and you'll see people calling down with absolute non sense hands like 99 or A-high figuring, somewhat unconsciously, that you're bluffing since Jx is rare, so betting the river isn't that bad, tho you might consider making it a bit cheaper to entice more calls from those hands.

As played on the river getting more than 3:1 and seeing that guy's stats i think you can justify a call just in case he's a moron and doesn't realize that 76 isn't really two pairs on that paired board, but you should expect to be beat a lot when you make that call. If you had bet the river smaller it would be a fold imo.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Is checking behind an option?
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Check behind river... he is a passive player and will likely hold the J there, imo.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sure if you want to play it safe. Important thing is that you ask yourself whether a valuebet is possible, and only then decides if it's too thin to risk it. Since you'll mostly see fish open shove Jx on the river and also show up with hands you wouldn't really expect, i think it's still a possible valuebet spot, if you are unsure or want to reduce your variance by cutting some edges checking back is ok.

Hope it helps.
    • kudzis
      kudzis
      Bronze
      Hi,

thanks everyone for your opinion. Actually, he indeed had Jx.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well checking behind on the river certainly looks safest, but at this limit even the value bet has some merit because villain will show up with a pocket pair here often enough imo, since he won't put you on a J yourself and there are no scary high cards to get him to fold earlier.

As played, I'm not folding to the river push as we've too much invested and sometimes he will make this move with just a pp, but equally I'm not expecting to take it down that often.

Tim