This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Liar Dice - SnGs & PLO

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Excellent advice and thanks for dropping by! I will make sure I heed this - not many out there whose advice is more valuable, imo.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Key to becoming a successful professional poker player will be setting a realistic schedule and keeping to it. I'm making the following assumptions in devising a workable schedule:

Assumption a). Playing for more than one hour at a time increases the risk of further health difficulties;
      Assumption b). We need to find 30 playing hours per week;
      Assumption c). By playing in two hour slots, we can manage 2*50 minute sessions, with a 20 minute stretch/refreshment break in between;
      Assumption d). After each two-hour slot we will take a break of 2 to 3 hours for mental and physical exercise;
      Assumption e). We need to take one day off per week when we play no poker, read no poker blogs, watch no poker videos and generally think about all things non-poker.

On that basis I have come up with the following weekly timetable:

Observations:

1. Under this timetable I'm going to be playing a fair bit of poker at nonpremium times. Long-term, if I make it to the mid-stakes, I will likely have to accept playing much of my poker at times other than the standard British working day. But for now, I'm willing to accept some reduction in my win rate in order to to keep my body clock working properly and get a good night sleep.
      2. Down the line I'm going to have to build in some time for studying and coaching etc. At the moment I just want to work on building up my playing hours stamina and working my way back to full health.

Part 3: +EV and -EV Activities and Mindset, will follow.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Wow, looking good. I wish you all the luck (you already had you fair share of bad luck ;) )

T.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Nice work Tim, looks good :D
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      looks great tim! nice schedule indeed. u know there is 35hrs in there right?
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Such organisation. This plan cannot fail !
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      u know there is 35hrs in there right?

Yep - 50 mins in each hour for playing, with approximately 10 minutes worth of breaks. In fact I need to squeeze in another hour for Sunday (but there's gotta be some flexibility ;) )
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      So here is the fundamental realisation of the last few weeks: Poker is No Fun Any More.

After witnessing my $2000 downswing this month and talking to friends and realising that my current volume sucked badly and that if I was really going to make it, I would need to be playing three times as much poker every month, I finally woke up to the understanding that has been eluding me all this time. I realised that if poker is going to be how I make my living, then - as with all such things - it's not going to be fun.

That doesn't mean I won't get satisfaction out of it and it doesn't mean I won't still prefer it to every other job I have done, but it does mean that the pleasure element needs to be entirely subsidiary. And here's a good example of what I mean: say I raise AKs on the button, and get re-raised by a regular in the big blind. I 4bet, he ships and I call off the shove and find myself flipping for 100 big blinds. This is a totally normal situation in SH games at my stakes. And yet I'm still kind of annoyed when my opponent's pocket queens hold out and still pretty happy when my AKs wins the flip. And actually, where I need to get to, is a state of more or less total emotional detachment from the outcome.

In the goal to become a bone fide professional poker player, there are some activities I need to cultivate and others I should largely avoid. The activities to be cultivated are those which promote my improvement as a poker player or ensure that I stay healthy and balanced; the activities to be avoided are those which encourage self doubt or, because they extend the amount of time I spend at the computer to no concrete benefit, make the time I do spend playing, more uncomfortable. As best as I can, here's the list of goods and bads:

+EV

-playing poker
      -exercising
      -sleeping well
      -spending time with my family
      -posting hands/commenting on hands
      -engaging in hobbies or outside interests
      -reading articles and poker literature
      -watching educational poker videos (theoretical or session reviews of experts at the limits I play)

-EV

-spending a lot of time on the blog forums at PS.com (there, I said it)
      -spending a lot of time drafting long posts on my own blog (there, I said it again - please, someone save me from the irony)
      -continuing to sit at the computer for ages after I finish playing, doing nothing very much
      -Watching old episodes of WSOP or High Stakes Poker (great fun but unlikely to increase my skill)
      -checking my cashier two or three times daily
      -reading other people's blogs, comparing myself to them in a negative way and then feeling insecure as a result (i.e. it doesn't matter what other people's hourly rate is or what limits they are playing; all that matters is me and my game)

Well, there are probably others but trying to perfect this post and ensure I cover off every angle is most definitely a -EV activity. So, in the words of Tom Petty and Heartbreakers: "into the great wide open, under them skies of blue, into the great wide open: a rebel without a clue"

Tomorrow, I turn pro.

:s_evil: Tim64 :s_evil:
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Good luck tomorrow Tim!

Try not to worry too much you have a great plan and you are a dam good poker player! :D

The emotional detachment will come in time although I don't think most people lose it completely. As for not being fun, I think you will still enjoy it =)

Call me on skype if you need anything
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      The plan got better. These are seriously good posts Tim, you're obviously in great shape psychologically for it. Best of luck tommorrow, and for the rest of your time as a pro. I hope you have enough time to squeeze in some updates ;)
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Good luck tim!!! you've spent a long time preparing for this and i know you are going to make it.

<3
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      i persoally dislike your schedule. imo, if u want to be a poker pro at realtivly lowstakes u should lay atleast 40-50 hours per week
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      i persoally dislike your schedule. imo, if u want to be a poker pro at realtivly lowstakes u should lay atleast 40-50 hours per week
      tim has physical health problems which means he cant put in long sessions. :(
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Reacting on http://img40.imageshack.us/i/timetablex.png/

Is ''Excercise'' as in GYM or learning some new theory and concepts?

If it is the latter one I suggest you turn that one around with the first session because:
      1) you get warmed up because you actively think about the new concepts you learn and you get pumped up to pull them off on the tables
      2) You absorb more content in the early mornings where your brain is fresh and ready to eat Pokercookies
      3) If your first poker session is a big downer , I do not know if you are thinking clearly after that hence the absorption from the poker theory /video you watch/read after that session is less than 100% for sure

If it is the GYM you mean then where is the ''Analyse and Learning'' part in your schedule?

Best regards
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Is ''Excercise'' as in GYM or learning some new theory and concepts?

As in Gym. At the moment, I have not built-in specific time for studying. This is definitely not because I think I don't need it (I need it a lot) but because I have to try to build up my stamina and so I have to keep those "computer hours" to playing, to begin with.

Once I am comfortable playing five hours a day, I will definitely build in time for studying. I also agree with you that when that time comes, the best time for working out the brain is first thing (it also makes sense because the tables are pretty quiet then).

Man I wish I got laid 40-50 hours per week. I wouldn't need to go to the gym then ;)

Anyway, just to reassure you, I am well aware that 5 hours per day is not optimum. If you've been following this blog you'll know I have suffered severe physical problems over the last 4-5 months and have had to spend a long time on rehab with the physiotherapist. I'm not going to jeopardise that recovery by playing silly hours to begin with.

I appreciate the input, though, guys - just another 45 minutes to play and then day one is over!
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Better to put realistic goals and stick to them, rather then do an impossible schedule. I think 35 hours are not that bad for a start.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well folks, day one of my career as a poker pro is over. A pretty swingy set of sessionss in which I was up, then down, then up, then down again.

The last of today's sessions was fairly brutal. After getting myself back into the green by stacking two players (one with top pair, one with two pair) with my set of 9s for a 160 big blind pot, I then crashed back down to earth. My set of 8s lost to my opponent's set of Js. My KK lost all in preflop to AK and my AA 3bet preflop got called by QJs which hit a QQ8 flop (I consider myself pretty lucky to have only lost half of stack in that hand).

I did manage to win a few dollars back off arch nemesis POPMONSTER, though, which was pretty sweet.

Anyway, session stats as follows:

Time Played: 5.24 hours; Hands: 3239; Rake: $179.04; Profit/Loss: -$218.35.

I'm feeling pretty good despite losing a couple of stacks today. I went swimming after my morning session as planned and although I'm feeling a bit stiff, it's nothing too terrible. Mrs Tim and I are going over to friends for dinner tonight and I will probably have a glass or two of vino to unwind.

Thanks for reading and for your continued support and encouragement!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Another bad day at the office, I am sorry to report...

Session stats as follows:

Time Played: 5.08 hours; Hands: 3130; Rake: $195.20; Profit/Loss: -$460.20.

Walked into all sorts of brutal coolers today. Ho-hum...

On the plus side I have had very little discomfort today (perhaps the least for a long time). I'm getting a little bit of an ache in my right hand, but I don't think that's related to the other problems. Fingers crossed. (Well, maybe not those particular fingers but...)

Let's hope tomorrow is better. Thanks, Lennonac, for the encouragement.
      Bronze
      I have been following and I wish you luck on your pro venture Tim, but I was shocked that
      you have 0 time dedicated to study. Even sweat sessions during your regular playing hours
      and sweat review sessions instead of playing would count.

Besides that so far so good, every new limit starts with a downer (it feels that way for sure)
      so why shouldnt it be different for your starting as a pro? A few losing days to test your
      patience will do you good. You will be carrying yourself along in no time.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks for stopping by 897. It's just for a short while that I'm sticking to playing only. Once health is back close to 100% I will switch some hours to training or, better, increase my hours.

I'm not completely new to nl100 but still only have 50k hands and I've become aware that this is no kind of sample, so I'm not getting too worried yet.