This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] blind battle - don't get his play

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (4 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($21.64)
      SB ($22.56)
      BB ($6.95)
      UTG ($20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2, 2
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.40) 9, K, 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB raises to $2, Hero raises to $4.50, SB calls $2.50

Turn: ($10.40) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7.50, SB calls $7.50

River: ($25.40) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $25.40 | Rake: $1.27

Villain is VP:17/PR13/AFq14 over 30 hands

His C/minRaise tells me that he might be on draw.He called my raise so even more I put him on draw since he doesn't seem to have anything to protect really.
      On the turn I was pretty sure I would take the pot down with my bet.
      On the river he doesn't value bet so I hesitated to go AI.

I dont know his play doesn't make any sense to me.
      Any thoughts?
  • 9 replies
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      judging by his stacksize hes a fish so i would expect to see any two cards
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Villain has full stack and is 17/13.
      Wouldnt call that a fish but more a TAG, hence my play
      BTW I think I should have raised a bit more on the flop..
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Why are you 3betting the flop exactly? Even if you can conclude that he has a draw - which is pretty optimistic - you are still behind equity wise. There’s nothing to do here but fold imo.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Why are you 3betting the flop exactly?
      I'm 3 Betting because his minraise tells me that he doesn't have much to protect here. He he had AK or set he wouldn't minraise.
      That is also the reason why I also bet the turn.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Huh?

The point is - even if your read is correct - every draw has greater than 50% flop equity against you, meaning that you can’t raise for value vs these hands. It’s also not a good idea to inflate the pot with such a weak hand, since you are very dominated in the case that your read is incorrect.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Huh?
      every draw has greater than 50% flop equity against you, meaning that you can’t raise for value vs these hands.
      If I had AK I would certainly raise for value here.
      Can you explain again what you mean, I didn't get it.
      Thanks
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Ok.

My understanding of your thought process is that you put him on a draw and decide to 3bet since you are ahead?

My point: Since you have the lowest possible pair, his draws also have 6 overcard outs against you. This means that in terms of all in equity are are actually behind.

22: 43.7
      Qh7h: 56.3

Since he is probably not folding a decent draw before the river, 3betting the flop is the equivalent of putting money in behind, even though you are technically’ ahead’ right now.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Ok I got you.
      He doesn't know that I have 22 so basically my raise on the flop is a semi bluff. I have to say that my raise is way too small to achieve what I wanted to do. I am giving him odds to calls with his flush draw. 7 should have been better.

Why do you think that he wouldn't fold a draw before river?

I think with my turn bet I am representing Kx so if he was drawing he would fold there. But he didnt and call and then supposely hit the river and doesn't value bet? That is where i am struggling to understand.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you see a lot of times there also Kx that doesn´t really like to fold at any point
      So I don´t like barreling turn that often, since he just doesn´t fold there and 22 even against draws has just too few equity
      I´d prefer b/f flop and moving on to next hand