This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Does AK need dead money to push all-in?

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      The reason I'm asking this is two-fold:

First, against a pocket pair, it is not a 50-50 coin-flip...but more like 45-55, right? So without dead money in the pot, isn't a push -EV over the long run? I know that you aren't always up against a pocket pair with AK, but I'd say you are a good portion of the time.

Second, let's say that you are up against 66-22. If you are all-in, you have no chance of pushing them out of the pot if they miss their set on the flop. If you have money left behind, you can usually get a fold from a low pocket pair with your c-bet even if you miss.

Don't get me wrong...AK has been very profitable for me, I'm asking more from a theory standpoint than a practical one.

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 2 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kknight!

Interesting question but I think that AK is profitable even against pocket pairs because often if you push all-in preflop and are up against a low or medium pocket pair they will fold to your push. For this reason you can say: if you have enough fold equity you can even push with only 45% equity to make that move +EV. In addition - as you already mentioned - you are not always up against a pocket pair which makes it even more +EV.
      But in general you should be careful with going all-in preflop with AK if you play BSS (in SSS that is different).

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      That's the kind of explanation I was looking for :)

Thanks Puschkin!

Kknight