This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Woot! First ever SNG real-money win

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      First ever SNG real-money tournament even.

I was home sick today, so read the SNG articles and went through the ICM trainer.

Then tonight, I played an $1 + .20 18 player and danged if I didn't win.

I deviated from "the book" only once (that I'm aware of). I had KQs in CO. I got a Kxx flop, so did a c-bet (not in strategy at all ???) and got re-raised by someone who had limped in from MP. I figured him for Kx so re-raised, and he went all in and I called (I had bigger stack). In fact he had QQ, so I got really lucky. Why on earth he limped I'll never know.

OTOH had he raised "properly" I would likely have folded, so it really was a lesson in why you should raise "by the book". w/o reading the SNG articles, I may have played like that.

A couple of times it was real hard to fold "good" hands, but my only purpose of playing the tournament was to practice the strategy, so I bit my tongue and folded.

Nice to start w/ a win.

--Vorpal
  • 6 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Congratulations!

By the way, ICM Trainer is designed to help with 9-player SNGs. If you play multitable SNGs, you will encounter different payout structures, so you might be more risk-averse with 5 or more players left, and less risk-averse with 4 players left.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze

You are overdoing it, coach :f_biggrin:
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In the SNG articles I had read before they had all mentioned being "on the bubble" when there was 1 more player left than there were payout positions.

In this case I was already the biggest stack when there were 5 players left, so as long as I didn't get *too* stupid, I knew I would be ITM. I did notice, though, how tight everyone became at that point.

Also, I moved to middle phase strategy when I had around triple the original stack, even though I still had more than 24BB.

I looked back over the hand histories, and I did notice another mistake. I raised too much too soon post flop w/ pocket AA, and so didn't collect much. OTOH, I didn't lose anything by getting sucked out on the T or R either :)

--Vorpal
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      :D
      Congratz!
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof

You are overdoing it, coach :f_biggrin:
      LOL. More edits than an entry in my blog :f_biggrin: