This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

3F - Focus, Fun and Flexibility - Taking shots at NL10 SH, woohoo!

• Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard

I did run into meeting Skeat live, but unfortunatly i had to let him hangin' by himself as and old friend needed my help with something.
      But it was still nice, we chatted a bit ^^

Next time I'm there I'll let you know!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Long time no see guys. But not to worry, that doesn't mean i didn't played in that period of time, on the contrary.

I has been over 14k hands of NL5 FR now, and as i got to 10k (playing the last few hands with vonki by my side) we did discussed and it has been decided that as i still wasn't rolled for it, not to take shots at NL10. I did noticed my AF was way low on the turn, so i took some personal hands to review by myself, and found out some fishy movements from myself. Trying to correct those.

But today i did my first session in SH, playing in NL2 with ofc vonki on Skype with me. Found out with the most hugh post-flop play that the room for mistakes is wider so avoiding that is pretty important. I want to thank as usual, vonki for the help.

A few update on my short term goals as it goes:
      [*] Acquire enough experience and have a solid bankroll on NL5 FR NLHE - In Progress...
      - A always on progress goal, the bankroll seems pretty solid right now, and actually not far to be rolled for NL10, but still have lots of leaks to improve after these first 10k hands as a cash game player.

[*] Move up the limits and play NL10 FR NLHE - On Hold
      - Not in a rush, and maybe i would actually move up to NL10 SH, but i'm pretty comfortable in just respect my limits and try to learn the game and just play good. Results will come with time.

[*] Study some of PokerStrategy.com articles on BSS every week - In Progress...
      - Still reading and re-reading articles, but also taking a look into the hand evaluation forums, although i think i should be also posting over there too.

[*] Finish reading "The Poker Blueprint" - Completed/New Goal

- I've finished reading it as a whole, but now comes the good part, study the material, with actually a pen and paper with me so i can write down notes, and actually write on the book itself sometimes.

I know it's a big update here, but i wanted to let you guys knowing how it was going on. And as i'm actually on work, there's not too much time to post here.

Don't worry, i won't lose my job (hopefully one day i could quit) :f_biggrin:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skeat
      Originally posted by nathanrenard

I did run into meeting Skeat live, but unfortunatly i had to let him hangin' by himself as and old friend needed my help with something.
      But it was still nice, we chatted a bit ^^

Next time I'm there I'll let you know!
      It was really fun actually, every1 asking where do you knew me and vice-versa. As i usually like to re-phrase: "there's no strangers, only friends i haven't met yet".
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Hi there and good luck! I really like the caption of your blog. If you're on a downswing, make sure to change it to "3F - Fuck, Fuck, Fuck !!!"
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Nice update, and keep up the good work! :)
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Just did another session and all i can say is: "wow".

I felt like mostly i played it good, but i've never seen so many flat-calling cbets on dry-boards, suckouts and passiveness ever.

Did reached 16k hands in NL5 FR and as i did not check my monetary results, i feel that i probably must be around even. Especially by the amount of hands i've had past few days, ofc i'll be posting them here so any of you guys can see leaks maybe?

Hand #1 - "Why so big?"
      $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      8 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($5.43)
      Hero ($5.30)
      MP1 ($4.31)
      MP2 ($3.45)
      CO ($7.63)
      BTN ($6.37)
      SB ($2.31)
      BB ($4.95)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 8 players) Hero is UTG+1 Q:diamond: Q:club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.20, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.18, 1 fold

Flop: 3:diamond: J:heart: 3:spade: ($0.85, 4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, 1 fold, CO raises to $2.65, SB folds, Hero goes all-in $5.10, CO calls $2.45

Turn: 8:club: ($11.05, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 8:spade: ($11.05, 2 players, 1 all-in)
      My comment: Here i felt there's no way villain has flopped a boat, and i put him on something around 66-TT. He wasn't playing too many hands this session though, so if he had KK+ he would probably raise pf. Plus the bet was so big that made my decision of going all in here.

Hand #2 - Misplayed aces only on the turn?
      FullTiltPoker
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($4.93)
      UTG+1 ($5.02)
      CO ($4.68)
      Hero ($5)
      SB ($4)
      BB ($5.03)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 6 players) Hero is BTN A:diamond: A:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.45, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.30

Flop: 10:club: J:heart: K:diamond: ($0.97, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Turn: 3:spade: ($2.27, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

River: 9:club: ($2.27, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $1.85, Hero folds
      My Comments: Not much to say, i think after the 3bet call and donkbet the board most likely hit villain, plus his range was wide atm with about 30% vpip. But i know i've did a bad option checking the turn so i didn't got any new info and the 3 didn't change much. The river i think it's an easy fold imo.

Hand #3 - "Yeah, jacks, always get you in trouble right?"
      FullTiltPoker
      8 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($5.31)
      UTG+1 ($5)
      MP1 ($5.20)
      MP2 ($5)
      CO ($1.75)
      BTN ($3.59)
      SB ($1.80)
      Hero ($5.43)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 8 players) Hero is BB J:diamond: J:spade:
      5 folds, BTN calls $0.05, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.20, BTN calls $0.15

Flop: 5:spade: 4:heart: K:diamond: ($0.42, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BTN calls $0.30

Turn: 5:diamond: ($1.02, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

River: 10:heart: ($2.02, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1, Hero folds
      My comments: Should've i bet harder on the turn? 3-Barreled?

And just to keep it straight, as i may seem somehow frustrated that i feel like being even, i'm actually happy that overall i see myself improving and thinking about hands one-at-a-time, being able to make some past 'hard' decisions pretty easily (:

So tommorow i'll play some more, and maybe the tides will turn and i don't turn a sick heater heh?

Cya guys, best regards to the ones who follow my blog (;
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Short time to play poker means? Good time to study poker, but i still have to play it though.

This week is being pretty intense as i'm shooting a videoclip, ofc when it's up and if it goes online i will be posting to forum members. Problem is, that means i have to workout harder than ever this week so i can look 'good' on the video.

Also big rush on real work in the next few days, as everything is still getting along... Still playing SH now everytime i can too, NL2 SH when vonki is not around for at least 5k hands, still about 3k to go, i will have it by friday as thursday is my 'day off'.

As usual the :f_cool: loves every help i can get it from the :s_cool:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Time to take these cobwebs from my blog.

So almost a week has gone by and pretty much the same, didn't had enough time to play poker, i did played the best i could and i've reached about 5k hands on NL2, and today i decided to watch some videos before playing on wednesday when i will finally have eligible time to sat down comfortably to play.

University grabbed me deep this weekend so i didn't had time, although i'm pretty motivated and i'm loving even though i was doing NL2 SH, it's pretty fun and intense, i feel the learning is going pretty great.

Almost ripping apart "The Poker Blueprint" and good news, my "The Poker Mindset" book has just arived, so i have more material to work for my game.

Yesterday we had a little weekly home-game-sng, and i've noticed how i can't take sngs anymore as the action is so lame, and we just end up in push-or-fold situations. I did some nice reads and noticed how i've changed from when i started playing SH Cash games, so this week's hand, will be a live hand.

Live STT - 6 Players - 30/60
      Hero (2700) is MP with 6:spade: 6:club:
      UTG raises to 130, Hero calls, CO folds, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop is 2:spade: J:heart: 5:spade: - Pot is 550
      MP bets 130, Hero raises 650, BU folds, BB folds, MP folds.

Hero wins the pot.
      Now i wanted to pick this hand, because i would actually play this one the same on a SH cash game against these players.

MP and BB were loose passive, they played about 60-70% of his hands, and bet-sizing was always off, they bet strong hands big, they bet weak hands low, and also, when pressure hit him he most likely folds everytime.

BU was tight passive, i think this was his second played hand on the STT.
      And i was playing pretty nitty myself.

Why i decided to raise there? 1st, i knew a big pot would push BU and BB as BB was donk-betting 100% when he hit a board. MP was always cbetting and folding to pressure, and BU had this little tell almost like a 'check-fold'.

Was an intresting hand because MP said 'my bet sizing was odd, because if i had the jack i would never raise on that spot'. Ok kid. - Would you guys do something different?

I will hopefully be telling good news on my first shots at NL5 SH this week, and keep you guys posted, will discuss with vonki and as soon as i can, i will update my goals.

Cya guys.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Quick update, as today i'm finally back on the felt! *phew*.

Just asking you guys to vote on vonki for member of the month on the following thread:

Poll: Cast your vote for the member of the month August

Be back later with poker updates!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Hey guys, how are you doin'?

Played a couple of NL5 SH hands, and did my first bad misclick of the week. Went to "fold", my mouse got a little rushy and i've pressed "call" on a very stupid play, but it didn't affected me and i'm just saying it in the name of records.

But oh well, after a few couple of hands i've dedicated myself to study some poker, sunday was a weak day because it's usually soccer day (kills me 3 hours only), but what hurts is having a university test in 8 hours from now.

Went by on Saturday talking with a friend (fellow poker player) and we have made a decision and actually some cool tips on helping my productivity learning at the poker tables and i thought i could share them.

• Have a work space that has a door that can be closed. - Right now i usually didn't closed my door almost all times, as i live with my family, but sometimes bro and sis get pretty rude and start opening the door right away.
      • Do a schedule and a routine. - Like a real work, have times set up straight to play poker, and be on time, never wake up and go to play, have a breakfast, get a shower, all dressed up and then do it!
      • Don't eat while playing. - Use eating times as breaking times, period.
      • Buy 3 to 4 monitors. ASAP - Why? My friend donated me a bigger monitor and i'm actually considering changing my desk for this task. He told me there's no way when i get things going to multitable on my old 17'' screen.

That's it for today. Tommorow i'm finally hitting the felt hard now. For a short 3-hours timespan, but it's already a good feeling.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      So University really sucked me good on September, and i've played something around 15k hands during the whole month only. Actually from September 14th to October 2nd there was mostly just 3 games played, and that's wrong. Because i'm slipping from my main goal, the 3F.

Focus - Ok!
      Fun - Ok!
      Flexibility - FAIL!, but not completely.

I didn't played as much as i wanted to, but i did read a lot both books i've got, in some classes that really are easy (and stupid), i've used my time to get one of those, and actually study, with a pen and paper on my side trying writing down things i wanted to stick to me.

Put all videos i could download or vonki shared with me on my iPod and watched them everytime i could (and still do), but i haven't played a lot. So sunday i sat down and also set myself some goals for October.

The sessions per-se were great, i started out on NL2 to get rid of any cobwebs, and mostly i'm feeling confidence on most of my plays, trying to think why am i doing every single action.

So for October i've set personally the following goals:
      :spade: Become an Iron Man at Full Tilt Poker
      Now the reason i want this, is not to show off a badge on the table (i actually have them all disabled already). The reason is actually after this FTP calculation change, isn't that hard to be a Iron Man playing SH. Maybe something around 3-4 hours daily for some days, the reason is volume, i need not only to read and study the theory, i gotta learn to practice, only that way i can get confidence.

:spade: Take shots at NL10
      For the past couple of days i've watched some of the NL10 tables, and tbh they seemed even fishier than the NL5, however i don't feel confident enough atm to hit there, so one thing i'm going to work hard this month, is to build up confidence and if i'm feeling ready take some shots.

:spade: Work better on my agenda.
      Huge mistake on September, i become so lazy and all the times i've saw i had time to do nothing, no more, now i'm doin' this straight. I've downloaded a pretty annoying (but excelent) calendar software so i can become even more organized.

:spade: Update my blog a little more, even if it's not about poker
      So i can keep this thing always up to date, not only for every to check out, but so i can keep track of how i'm doing to myself.

Ofc, everything here is still gonna get reviewed by vonki, but i had to write it down (goal number 4), so off for now, Cya guys.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      So weekend is all gone by now, and everything i can say is: 'wow'. After a talking with vonki about my set goals a few decisions have been made. Long story short? They are all up, and i might be taking my first shots at NL10 SH soon, not without vonki by my side ofc.

At the start of the weekend i've almost failed one of goals taking a 3-day job as a dealer. I've accepeted but afterwards neglet it as i would have NO TIME, not only for poker, but for school and fun and etcetera, i would be so broke in time that although i wanted the money, it was a good choice overall.

Friday i took night off to really have a good night of sleep, as saturday i had some parties to attend to with a few friends, that btw, was awesome, although i wasn't drinking heavily because i was this weekend designated driver.

So i woke up pretty early Sunday about 11am, and finally i've been able to play a lot today, unfortunatly not long-term sessions as my uncle and cousin arrived. (We have a national holiday on tuesday, their here to spend some time with us). But family is family.

There was a funny moment about 3 hours ago. I was in a table and after a few minutes, 5 guys were flipping all in pf. It lasted about 50 hands. One guy at one moment was holding about +$200 in a NL5 SH table, avg pot was about 7BI :f_eek:

Sunday was a little swingy, i think i'm running below EV, but i'm pretty happy of how i'm dealing mentally with those swings.

But tommorow is a new day, and i'm ready for it. For now, i'm gonna take a short nap, 'cause it's about 4:30am, but i'm not at all tired (hate this feeling).

Cya guys soon.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      As my day draws to an end those classic lyrics from Madonna are heard withing my brain: "Holiday! Celebrate!". Yes, celebrate that i'm feeling in great shape atm. Personally, i'm in a good moment of my life again, everything is starting to build up as i hoped for, University is getting to a conclusion, it's hard work but in the long run it will pay off.

Physically i'm feeling great, getting each month closer to my personal achievement of 72 kg (158.4 lbs). And i'm finally feeling comfortable and recovered from a knee surgery i attend last year that brought me down.

On Poker, i'm still a :f_grin: , however right now, i'm a confident fish :f_biggrin: . There is still a lot i need to learn, a whole bunch of thing to come on my way, i know that i might haven't seen even close to 1% everything i will, but i know what i am doing when i am doing. Today i faced my first 500bb deep pot where on the end i hold 99's on a TTJ98 board. The feeling was pure adrenaline, not because of the $ value, but because of how deep the pot was.

Now i can be wrong sometimes, but i no longer let the game control me by any means, and i just don't randomly call or fold or raise without a reason behind it, without a gameplan. I'm not floating flops to bet on turn because i think it's what i can try to do, but because i know why i'm doing it. No double barrels w/o a decent reason on these stakes, atm the only double barrels i do with no particular reason are the ones below:

This is the real double barrel: "Rum w/ Pepsi" and "Vodka w/ R-Bull"
      ...and yes, i'm the creepy guy double barreling drinks alongside my best friend.

Yes, finally a picture of myself. As this blog gets a little more personal i thought i could share with you guys my face, i'm usually not making those poses, although i tend to make a lot of strange faces when i'm taking pictures that aren't for modeling.

Now i'm looking forward to take my first shots at NL10, and who knows, if things go right stay there for a while and keep grinding, learning and crushing the limits so i can move one step at a time. However i'm not taking my first shots on NL10 w/o vonki, as i said, i am still a :f_grin: , and by no means i will waste the opportunity that i have, to get a good help on my side.

Well, pretty long post, but i had to talk about a lot of the things came up on my mind today. And for those who don't know (probably everyone that doesn't live in Brazil). Today (Tuesday, Oct 12th) is a national holiday.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Hey guys, how are you going?

So yesterday-today i had my first big swing, was down something around 4-5 BI in about half hour (4-tabling). Start with some signs of tilting and was playing actually tired on the beginning of the session (which could have me lead into the swing), still haven't had time to review the session after sleep, but i'm surely going to look closely and probably post some of the hands on the Hand Evaluation forums.

After taking a small break, went back and feeling mentally recovered sat down to make in the first two hands a Straight Flush and Quads, but didn't add to much value, bringing down some 25-30bb deep pots. It's hard to extract value when villain has complete air and you're oop.

But still pretty confident about the way i'm playing, and mostly about how i'm dealing good with swings, the first sign of tilting i wasn't breaking my headset or something like that, mostly just did a simple *sigh*, and was back on it again, wasn't making crazy plays to 'compensate'.

All in all, i'm planning in still a few hours to play today, think i'm gonna try to do my first shots at NL10 on this weekend perhabs, as there will be heaps of fish imo, with Take2 going on also, people who can't focus will be out. Although, going to discuss this with vonki atm it gets there.

Cya later guys.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Good day every1,

So it is still starting the day over here (about 1pm), and i did a pretty unstandard volume (for me), playing over 1,5k hands in about 4.5 hours of poker.

So i thought as it is friday i give a little quick update on how my goals for October are going:

:spade: Become an Iron Man at Full Tilt Poker
      Doing fine so far, as i'm looking for a simple Bronze status, i am also not playing over what i can just to reach the bronze status, a more detailed look of my iron man here:

:spade: Take shots at NL10
      Still haven't tried at all, i'm gonna try to schedule a sweat with vonki or my other friend (he can slap me on the back of my head if i fish too much), but i'm gonna try making about 2-5 BI shots in this weekend perhaps, my mindset will be crucial in this decision.

:spade: Work better on my agenda.
      Going fine so far, i've bought up one, have tried Google Calendar but didn't suit me, if anyone has a good software i would be intresting in trying out, but this online agendas just confuse me.

:spade: Update my blog a little more, even if it's not about poker
      Done, even though all my posts get pretty long and nobody gives any response, i'm being able to keep track of my day-to-day progress
      Also, Full Tilt is with that Take2 promotion, that i obviously signed for it, and i will be trying to get the full $25 bonus, as easy money is always welcome.

All for that, this weekend has probably some surprises on my way, but i'll keep progess of it.

Oh, and for those with twitter, i've set up a twitter account just for 3F: http://www.twitter.com/jaimbire, for those on this social media, you can follow.

Cya guys.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze

This header image represents it all, i took today my first (short), but still, shot at NL10.

Now this sweat session was made with an aid of a fellow poker player that was ready to bang me in the head if i did something compleatly stupid. As the session for today was short, there was no big reason to do so ("so far" as he just says), unfortunatly the short ~200 hand session had to be shut down as my internet is going on/off every single minute.

There was although a couple of things i've noticed, i did ofc tighten up a little my range, that's number one. And 2nd of all, i wasn't playing scared money. As the session started i was rolled for it, and that was the only thing on my mind. If things went wrong and i got busto 5 BI, there was no problem for me, the only thing i was looking for atm was learning and getting more experience. It was strange at first seeing pots of +$20 flowing everywhere around but then i went: "oh alright, it's NL10".

A intresting hand happened, that i wanted to share with you guys, i've posted it on the Hand Evaluation forums (link below):
      TPGK, Wet board.

So far so good for now, i'm gonna keep you guys posted, more action for tommorow, and last but not least, ofc another iron day and take2 5 bonus done. (woot!) :f_cool:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Just finished a sweat session with vonki, lots of things to still improve, but overall not feeling that of a fish on NL10, still got another sweat scheduled with my friend later on.

update
      Finished my 1st part session with my buddy, and we are still gonna sweat for another hour or so, just gonna review some hands from this last ~90' session.

Two cool quick things though:
      1. I'm in the black, it's great because it gives me the opportunity to keep shooting/sweating NL10 with no greater avail.
      2. @vonki, my friend slammered my head about 15 times in less than 5 minutes (i agree with the deal), with missed steal and raises spots.

2nd update
      Finished my last sweat session, and the last 200 hands were good, finally playing more comfortable on this limit, and i've worked on some key issues from the start of the shots, and now are a little better.

I got banged in the head a lot at starters, and on the last half hour there was no punishment :f_biggrin: , heard things like: "Great, you're open-raising T8s on the button without me saying anything.", it felt great. Paying even more attention and i've promised not ever to press auto-fold button. My friend went: "it's not like if you play 12-16 tables and all the alert noises will bug you so much". And it makes sense.

Got to thank also, like a million to vonki for everything she has already done for me so far. She knows about it and i'm gratefull, i'll never forget.

At one point on my sweat with my buddy, he wen't: "where you learned all that?", i quickly replied: "vonki taught me". (i go "uhum" on Skype somtimes, but i'm listening)

So ok, pretty long post. Tommorow i'm still thinking about what will be my gameplan, and i want honestly to get some good night sleep to think about it with a better mind tommorow.

Cya guys. :f_cool:
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      yea, I'm proud of you!

But you've gotta stop "uhum-ing" on skype! Drives me mad and makes me think you don't pay attention to what I tell you :evil:

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure we'll see you on NL25 in notime :)

xoxo
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Atm just trying not to get back at NL5, although i'm still using those tables to 'heat up' i guess.

I just 'uhum' a lot because there's still so much to focus on that i get confused. My brian isn't melting as hard, though.

This CG are fun!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      As my shots on NL10 are still pretty solid (and i had to check my br to see if i was rolled and etcetera), i've decided today is graph posting day, on how NL2 and NL5 went until this far, because atm i'm shooting NL10 only 35BI deep, unless my PT bar turns red, i'll keep playin' on this limit. I'll be posting my impressions later this week.

But after 33,295 hands, being almost split into 50/50, FR/SH. You can see the change of gears when a little after 16k, with vonki coaching i've started to be converted to SH, this is the NL2 and NL5 graph:

---

Quick update on my October goals:

:spade: Iron Man: After a 8-day streak, monday i'd failed, but today all good, as i got my focus on playing enough volume. 50 FTPs came naturally
      :spade: Take shots at NL10: Doing good, going good. Taking beats pretty well, just short-term 15s frustration, but nothing that tilts me. These CG are fun.
      :spade: Agenda: Doing good, i got 3 papers of uni due to friday, so if i want to keep everything going well, Flexibility has to work
      :spade: Update blog, yep almost everyday now, good to see how i was feeling at the end of my poker days.
      :heart: Take2 promotion: So far 5 out of 5 days, and i got already a $5 bonus awaiting. More 4 and a little extre $20 go inside my BR, a good 2,5BI boost!

As for this week i'll be watching TwiceT video series on NL10 SH, to improve my game, if anyone have any comments, or want to check it out, the links are below:
      :s_thumbsup: Move it, move it up to the sky - Part 1
      :s_thumbsup: Move it, move it up to the sky - Part 2

For now, cya guys, gonna do a morning session tommorow.