This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SNG vs CASH GAME

• sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Im stuck.. i don't know whether to take up SNGs again or stick with cash games.

I just started playing poker about a 2 months ago and for that time i've been playing SNG's (1 dollar :( lol)

I tried cash games again yesterday and made some good progress.. i think i made 20 dollars on NL 0.05/0.10 in about a 2 hour session.. which was good considering it would take me a lot longer when playing SNG's!

So i just wanna know which one i should stick with and why? (or both!?)

Thanks a lot

Tom!
  • 14 replies
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Why not play both and see which one you are best in? I know it can be confusing sometimes in terms of learning, but it sure gives you a good idea about which you like most (and earns the most, off course :) ). I find that when I'm tired of one or the other, I switch. Often though, I play both at the same time: 2 cash game tables and 1 or 2 sng's. Off course, that's only possible with the proper bankroll.
      I seriously recommend though to read some books about tourney's if you're willing to take them up as a full time poker career, because I found that the articles here on PS are a little too narrow. Harrington on Hold'em vol. 1-3 are great for that purpose.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      i actually bought harrington on holdem and i am mid way through the first one.. the reason i wanted to switch to cash is because climbing up over the $1 buy in is so tedious and i seem to earn a lot more (or have done so far) in cash games
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      For most sites the rake on the lower sngs are gruesome and hard to overcome even if you have a solid edge. Sng´s are a lot easier to master but play the cashgames to where atleast your bankroll allows you to play the ones with 10% rake or less. And when you read Harrington do it critically at least if your going to play Sng´s with it. I think that there is a lot better material to learn Sng´s online.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Timor83
      I seriously recommend though to read some books about tourney's if you're willing to take them up as a full time poker career, because I found that the articles here on PS are a little too narrow. Harrington on Hold'em vol. 1-3 are great for that purpose.
      We will present you a completely new tournament area within a few weeks. Meanwhile you can read Harrington :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Barne
      Barne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81

We will present you a completely new tournament area within a few weeks. Meanwhile you can read Harrington :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      Wow that'd be so great! I like to play SnG's but i really need to work on it. I manage to end in the money almost always but heads up i'm a disaster! So it's not that proffitable for me :(
    • masterxcvt
      masterxcvt
      Bronze
      unfortunately at sng it's very important to win than to enter in the money .... and i suck too at Heads UP play :rolleyes:
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      I've tried both now and im sticking to SNG! :D

I too need help with heads up play
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

You will get advice in the new articles about Heads-up play. Meanwhile I recommend our live SnG coaching to you which takes place every Wednesday and where you can ask questions.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Requ1em
      Requ1em
      Basic
      Hey there.. I would really like to play 1$ SnG's but I can only find 3$ ones on Partypoker... can you help me?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Requ1em!

There are $1 SnGs on PokerStars. You can use our bonus code "PSVIP" if you want to make a deposit. If your bankroll is not big enough to make such a depsoit I strongly recommend that you play cash games until your bankroll is big enough either to move your bankroll from one poker room to the other or to play the $3 SnGs on partyPoker. Don't invest your own money.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • hippycritt0420
      hippycritt0420
      Bronze
      heads up play is another game all in itself, i like to pride myself on my heads up stats.. about eighty percent win average

i played in a heads up freeroll with over five hundred players where the winner recieved a ten grand seat plus travel money for a tourny in calgary.. i played for what seemed like a lifetime and made it to the final too.. and of course i succumed to the ever popular suck out and all i got for my efforts was a letter from the poker site commending me on my play..come to think of it the sight isn't around anymore.. which is a shame cuz i haven't seen that format anywhere else
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Sit n go's are rather easy to play, since they are mechanical. Its all ABC, play tight in the beginning, and once the stakes rise u should use an push or fold strategy. It depends too much on luck. Tournaments and Cashgames are way more EV!
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      speed sit'n'gos rocks :D but then again, so does SH ;)
    • Slick14
      Slick14
      Bronze
      I found 1$ sit n gos r jokes its almost pure luck if u win most of the time, since there are so many reckless players only saying "well its just a dollar". PLus even when u win these 1$ sit n gos the pay out isnt that great after u subtract the entry fee. I would suggest only playing sit n gos if u can afford a higher limit all say 3 dollar or 5 dollar minimum. SO unless u have an increased bankroll from ur original 50$ or feel like gambling and going for it I suggest you wait. However learning how to play sit n gos are great cause these will greatly help ur major tournament game.