This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Liar Dice - SnGs & PLO

• MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Admire your will to succeed at poker. I really do. Can't say much else than try to focus on your winrate rather than the hands putted in. Play when you feel for it and do something else when you don't (like watching videos / analysing hands / go to the fitness etc.). Best luck from me, Mathhnes.
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Its time for an update ! ye ?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well, it would be churlish to refuse such a gracious request.

So, brief update: I have played almost exclusively nl50 this month. I've managed about 40,000 hands so far, after 15 days, which is good going.

Of course, Mathness, you are right right that winrate is important. But volume is too ;) . At least it is when you have made the decision to do something professionally...

I'm running at about 7bb/100 at the moment, but overall for nl50 more like 4-5bb/100 which is not astonishing but also not too bad. I feel my hand reading is improving a lot and many thanks to my coach for that.

I switched to Rush Poker around the beginning of my month and so far it has gone well. Obviously it's great for rakeback but I also think there are some other opportunities in the format that you don't get in regular ring games. The speed of things has a tendency to make people tilt, so if you can keep control, you can take some advantage. Also, there seem to be plenty of fish gravitating to Rush. I'm getting in about 800 hands/hr, so making a little over $20/hr which should be okay for the time being - if I can maintain it.

Another thing I like is that even though there are tons of regs, you don't have to sit there constantly playing out of position to the same aggressive 3betting SOB for the whole session :) .

I think I will stick to nl50 for the rest of the month (just playing one table of nl100 Rush in the evenings) as that's probably the best way to ensure I end the month up. Kind of important to be able to cash out some profit this month after getting off to such a bad start. Fingers crossed...

Another update soon.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Another thing I like is that even though there are tons of regs, you don't have to sit there constantly playing out of position to the same aggressive 3betting SOB for the whole session :) .
      Another update soon.
      Are you not allowed to leave and find another table when you get to NL50??

Glad to hear it's going better for you.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Are you not allowed to leave and find another table when you get to NL50??

No, you are :)
      But it's a relatively inefficient process.
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      I forgotted u had blog :( . I am actually not sure that i knew u had one :D . Too much stress lately.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Good day today, after a few less good days:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yesterday managed to lose $175 in one pot getting my Aces stacked in a 3 bet pot with an SPR of around 4.25 against an unknown vs his obligatory flopped set...

Today I flopped a fh with pocket deuces on KK2 with two hearts and both other players went all in, one with AK and the other with A :heart: Q :heart: ... and so I won it all back again :)

Just a couple more days of the month and hopefully I can maintain a decent profit.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      First month in profit

Total poker profit: $1078.64
      Total (Direct) Rakeback: $465.72
      overall profit/loss: $1544.36

Total hours: 90.42
      hourly rate: $17.07

Despite dropping three BI this evening before writing this up, I should be pretty satisfied with this month. It's a long way from spectacular but I've recorded a profitable month at last and managed to maintain a decent win rate at a given limit over a good sample size.

So my lifetime w/r for nl50 is 3.89bb/100 after 115,600 hands. This is a little ahead of EV at 3.24bb/100.

I think this is not really good enough for me to be thinking about making the jump to nl100 yet. Bankroll requirements aside I'm still making errors that I'm well aware of and I've got to find a way of filtering these out before tackling what is a harder and more aggressive game. I don't think there's any point my playing b/e poker at nl100 - better to play consistently profitable poker at a lower limit with less variance and more enjoyment resulting from more winning sessions.

November will be about grinding my $1k bonus, putting in 100k hands (managed only 70k this month), and trying to stop calling when I know I'm beat...

Thanks for reading!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      It's probably not a good idea to make a mid-term plan, but I am going to anyway.

What I am aiming at is another shot at NL100. I'd like to give myself a 10BI cushion above my 'comfort' BR for NL50, which is 100BI, so I need to get together $6k in total.

It's actually surprisingly difficult to achieve that since pretty much everything I'm earning is being drawn out on living expenses. However the plan is to put my end of year Iron Man bonus and any BC bonuses towards this from now onwards.

I'm still very satisfied with my earning ability on NL50 Rush, though I think I could potentially find another 1.5-3bb/100 by finding folds when I'm obviously beat, thin value bets when I'm probably ahead and seeking out good spots to bluff.

Most frustrating continues to be what I can only describe as a fear of being bluff-raised. So I'm often missing out turn or river bets in situations where I can reasonably assume I am ahead because I am worried my opponent will turn a worse hand into a bluff and put me to a difficult decision.

But actually there just aren't that many players capable of bluff raising on the river at my limit and the value I'm missing out on from bad players should more than make up for occasionally folding the best hand when an unusually sophisticated player bluff raises.

Thanks for reading!
      Tim64
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Filtering out the river raise

Just filtered 80k hands of nl50 Rush by actions where the River action went: bet, raise, call by hero (i.e. hero bet, villain raised and hero called).

Out of 29 hands, I faced a pure bluff raise on just two occasions.

On 10 occasions I was ahead (8 of those were situations in which villain either reasonably or unreasonably believed he had the best hand and so was raising for value).

On the other 19 occasions I was behind and lost money as a result of calling.

Observation: 2/29 indicates that at this limit people are hardly ever bluff raising. What this means in practice is that we ought to be pretty comfortable in bet/folding the River when we have a strong, but non-nuts, made hand.

The total $ lost as a result of calling my opponent's raise (i.e. excluding the money already invested in the hand - so just the difference between my River bet and villain's raise) was $241.6, compared to total pots won where I was ahead, of $227.45 (i.e. the size of the pot I was calling to win) so actually the difference is very small.

However in those situations where I called and won, I normally had a very easy decision (i.e my fh vs villain's flush), whereas when I called and lost I normally had nothing better than an overpair.

Conclusion: by bet/folding non-nuts hands on the River I would have saved myself around $250 which is equivalent to 0.5bb/100 on top of my current win rate.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Interesting analysis Tim.
      And I obviously see the link with the 3 hands that you posted this am in the Hand Evaluation in which btw I would have played like you. Don't think you can really fold on any river raises.
      Will def do similar analysis to see if it applies to me as well (eventhough my sample is much smaller than yours).
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64

Conclusion: by bet/folding non-nuts hands on the River I would have saved myself around $250 which is equivalent to 0.5bb/100 on top of my current win rate.
      I hope nobody playing Rush NL50 against you is reading this, because if I were them I'd be adding the river bluff raise to my game! :f_biggrin:
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I hope nobody playing Rush NL50 against you is reading this, because if I were them I'd be adding the river bluff raise to my game!

Fortunately Tim64 is not playing at FTP as "Tim64" ;)
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hey Tim,

How are you doing? Not that many updates here. Still crushing NL50?

T.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Tampaloeres81,

Thanks for stopping by :)

I dont know if 4bb/100 over 100k hands at nl50 is crushing... :rolleyes: But on the other hand its a solid winrate over a decent sample and I keep working on my game so hopefully things should keep going in the right direction.

I'm getting ready for a smallish shot at nl100 (Rush or regular - not sure yet) in the next month or two if there is enough BR remaining after covering living expenses.

Hoping to convert around $1200 in bonuses between now and end Jan so that should help.

GL to you!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Total poker profit: $1035.88
      Total (Direct) Rakeback: $754.82
      Total (Indirect) Rakeback: approx. $250
      overall profit/loss: $2040.70

Total hours: 113.34
      hourly rate: $18

Four months into the poker pro lifestyle, I seem to be slowly getting into my stride. I'm grinding out a small but manageable living from the game while not yet achieving anything especially envy-inspiring.

December will be more of the same. I would like to get my total hours up to 120, though I'm not sure if this will be realistic given family commitments over the Christmas period. I'd also like to get to the stage where I'm not feeling frustrating levels of pain during the course of the day. This is down to me: I need to find a workable exercise regime and stick to it -- something that I am really very bad at.

I am hoping to clear $1000 worth of bonuses over the next two months which (if I'm able to maintain a reasonable hourly rate) should boost my bankroll to around $6000, enabling me to take a shot at Nl100. Until then the grind continues...

Thanks for reading!
      Tim64
    • _Anonymous_
      DELETED_1995928
      Global
      James likes this post
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      :s_thumbsup:
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Good to see that u doing well.
      Keep going!
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Hows the last week gone Tim? Nice to see you getting the results.

Easy