This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Flops higher set but sucks out to fish

• EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      All opinions are welcome. I tried to push both players off of the hand but it turns out the worse play wins.. I hate when chasers hit without thinking over their spots.
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.65
      CO:
      $2.23
      BU:
      $1.87
      SB (Hero):
      $1.02
      BB:
      $1.60

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5, 5.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.12, BU calls $0.12, Hero calls $0.10, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.4) 9, 3, 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.20, BU calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.90(All-In), CO calls $0.70, BU raises to $1.75, CO calls $0.85.

Turn: ($4.8) A (3 players)

River: ($4.8) 8 (3 players)

Final Pot: $4.8.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, fives(5 5).
      BU shows a flush, queen high(T Q).
      CO shows three of a kind, threes(3 3).

BU wins with a flush, queen high(T Q).
  • 6 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Esarcwinterz,

According to the SHC, we do not call preflop ever! we cannot hit a set profitably with our stacksize

On the Flop I like your check/shove obviously if you hit your set but the main thing is that one has to fold preflop

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      hmmm, interesting.. I see.. so no matter what the circumstances, small pairs are a no-go.. one question, isn't it also a fact in the strategy guide that one definitely should mix up ones game to throw off opponents from time to time?

I play only 2-3 NL4 tables simultaneously and really stick to the solid poker strategy except for a very few hands. I sucked out pretty often due to the fish who see that I play solid poker and tend to call me down to 5th street, (on a bad day), and I will admit I still have some leaks that need to be sealed and will definitely go back over the strategy guides.
    • EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      wouldn't mind also having some coachings here and there.. :D
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      @Gerv I have been looking into this setmining.

What would you say if we were the BB with 40BB?

potodds: 3BB+3BB+.5BB+1BB = 7.5BB : 2
      implied odds: 37:2 -> 17.5 : 1

Plus the fact that there is another caller makes the pot protected and we have more chance of getting action.

IMHO this is +ev although very predictable.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Mineriva, dude I blew a huge portion of my BR trying this, the strategy is set that way for a reason mate. I really see yur ponit of view though because I thought about it myself. Over like 5k hands I found it did not work for me. Perhaps this is too small a sample but you're more than welcome to try over more hands and adopt the risk :)

Hope all is gd btw :f_cool:
    • MeanGreen
      MeanGreen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EsarcWinterz
      hmmm, interesting.. I see.. so no matter what the circumstances, small pairs are a no-go.. one question, isn't it also a fact in the strategy guide that one definitely should mix up ones game to throw off opponents from time to time?

I play only 2-3 NL4 tables simultaneously and really stick to the solid poker strategy except for a very few hands. I sucked out pretty often due to the fish who see that I play solid poker and tend to call me down to 5th street, (on a bad day), and I will admit I still have some leaks that need to be sealed and will definitely go back over the strategy guides.
      There's no need to mix up on NL4, since there's probably not a single opponent who pays any attention to how you play your hands. Deviating from basic play (or balancing your lines) is -EV if your opponents don't pay close attention to your playstyle. I'd say sticking to the basic play has the highest EV.