This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [NL 25 SH] Fives missing value?

• DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $112,69
      Hero:
      $26,2
      BU:
      $21,32

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5:heart: , 5:spade:
      MP2 raises to $1,00, MP3 folds, Hero calls $1,00, BU calls $1,00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($3,35) 8:club: , 6:heart: , 5:diamond: (3 players)
      MP2 bets $2,34, Hero calls $2,34, BU folds.

Turn: ($8,03) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $5,62, Hero calls $5,62.

River: ($19,27) 4:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero raises $17,24 (All-In), MP2 calls $17,24.

Final Pot: $53,75

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows (Kh Ks)
      Hero shows carré, fives (5h 5s)

Hero wins with carré, fives (5h 5s)

Preflop is standard i guess. However after that I don't like my overall line, I'll explain why I played that way, but please make any comment about other better or at least possible lines :)

Standard dream flop for a pp in position. The guy cbets 75%+, so I decided a raise was out of the question since I would scare away broadways and sometimes overpairs. However I now don't like my call because a lot of cards may kill the action. I don't really know here. I decided to call to let him 2nd barrel bluff OOP, 2nd barrel for value w/ overpairs, or let him hit his facecard with his broadway.

I don't like the turn card, except it now makes my hand stronger than 99 and 88. A five is definitively in my preflop and flop calling range with a lot of SC (I think he knows that since we have a good amount of hands together). Here again I don't like my call since a call, call, raise line shows a lot of strengh to value on an overpair (because this is the only category of hands I can value against). However I did not like the raise here because the five is extremely present in my range, and I don't want to scare him, nor prevent him from 3rd barrel.

The river card is an action killer (at least I though so at that time). I had no real clue about how to extract value here as he checks. I though that a "small" bet (between 1/3 and 2/3pot) was showing too much strengh as I will often do so with a five, seven, or a fullhouse/quads to let him call. I couldn't see him call an obvious valuebet with his hand. I decided to potsize allin here to increase the amount of bluffs he will perceive in my range.

I think he made quite an ugly call here, and consider the hand as if he had fold (so I missed value). I'm really wondering how I could have extracted more value here. Maybe shoving "potsize style" on the turn for maximum aggression into his good made hand?

He perceive me as a very aggressive player, depending on his degree of objectiveness to him I am either a LAG or a lucky maniac, that's also why I chose the allin river.
  • 2 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      seems standard play your part and also his part.
      Since it is 3-way I like playing it passively, since on that board you´re not really raising anything for semibluff, so i think you also have to flat with set.
      Turn is easy call and river is easy shove.
      I also like his c/c river, since you can always have there some kind of draw and he would only loose to straights or boats that are more rare than some draws or maybe you´re going thin shove with QQ/JJ since he checked river
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      You're right, his call was not that ugly.
      I have a note to delete, and to replace with something else :D