This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

no limit draw chasing

• Terayon87
      Terayon87
      Bronze
      having been revising my strategy to no limit Holden over the past few months I keep reviewing the math side and getting a little confused over drawing.

I fully understand pot odds however I am convinced that they are only really applicable to limit Holden when it comes to draw chasing.

Scenario: I Amin a late position with a8s in hearts in which I choose to limp in with another 5 Players. The flop sends me another 2 hearts setting me up with a possible nut flush. On the flop a fairly agreesive player bets the usual 1/2 - 2/3 pot.
      Now I'm getting around 2.3 : 1 pot odds, nowhere near enough to justify hitting my flush. How do I justify tje implied odds after betting as they can be so unpredictable? In limit you can work out your math no problem, bit with NL I'm not so sure.

I would still never lay the hand down!
  • 2 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Think about the pot you need to win to make the call ok. Let's clarify things. 3 limpers in front of you, Nl10, and yo are bigstacked (naturally). So you need to make a 10ct call into a 45cnt. pot, and the sb completes, so we have a 60 ct. pot. The flop brings us K 10 2. Someone bets 40 ct. Do you call?

odds are 40:100, The odds you need are 1:4, is 40:160, to make it good POT odds. So the question is... if I do hit my nutflush, can I make my opponent call a bet that is higher then 60? I think in this case, you can make him call 1/2 pot at least once (on turn or river) which makes this a good call.

This is how I look at implied odds. :D
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      That is also how I approach implied odds calculation, i.e., how much do I need the guy to bet in one of the next streets, to give me odds to call, in face of my outs.
      If the value is reasonable, say 1/2to 2/3 pot size or so, I call.