This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 Betting the river

• Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.84
      MP3:
      $2.41
      CO:
      $1.94
      BU:
      $0.57
      SB:
      $0.43
      BB (Hero):
      $2.30
      UTG2:
      $1.83
      MP1:
      $3.09

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, J.
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.05) 4, 9, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.03, MP3 calls $0.03.

Turn: ($0.11) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08.

River: ($0.27) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.27.

So I got my Q and decided to bet on the river to get value, but should I even make the bet because I can't really see something that would call me that I have beat. I bet so small to hope he will call because it's not that expensive but should I bet bigger just because the small bet might make them reraise me?
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Flop: I don't like your leading out here. If you get called you build the pot you don't really like. And what's your plan? To 2 barrel it? Hmm, no point in doing that. I would just check here.

Turn: We hit our out and we are way ahead. The board is quite dry so we're not afraid of many river cards (except A, K, :club:) . I think betting here is ok, because FD came up and we may be called by some PP or some 9x.

River: We can't get 3 streets of value with this board, especially playing limped pot. If you decide to bet, bet at least 1/2 pot, but I don't expect to be called often. I tend to check/call here.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Krishjanis,

Well, I actually don't even mind your play in this spot. You definitely even have fold equity on flop and of course might even be ahead with your Q high. Nice hand! I would most likely play the same way, although sometimes I even raise preflop. :)

Best regards.