[NL2-NL10] Queens on BB

• Alficor1
      Known players:

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.86 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      3 folds, CO calls $0,05, BU folds, SB raises to $0,25, Hero calls $0,20, CO folds.

Flop: ($0,55) T:heart: , 5:spade: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,35, SB calls $0,35.

Turn: ($1,25) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,85, SB calls $0,85.

River: ($2,95) J:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2,95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      SB shows a straight, ace high (Ah Ks)
      Hero shows (Qs Qc)

SB wins with a straight, ace high (Ah Ks)

Do you think i should have reraised preflop here? He was doing this quite often, so i thought that just calling would be fine to let him bluff of his money.
      I guess i can do nothing when someone makes a ridiculous call on two streets..
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say.

Basically you want to know if SB is a high intensity player or not, meaning when you oppose aggression to his aggression, whether he tends to pump out even more aggression or to just shutdown.

If it's the former, go ahead and 3-bet him. It's not like the tight CO is going to give you a lot of value postflop anyway and you'll flop an overcard quite often, so just collect the dead money from SB and count on him to try and playback at you sometimes either by 4-betting bad hands or making a dubious raise/call out of position with less than stellar hands.

If it's the latter, he's generally not going to mess with you after you 3-bet, so chances are you're up against AK/KK+ if he 4-bets. Hence if you believe he can raise/call with hands like 99-JJ, 3-betting is still okay but you're often better off folding to a 4-bet, and if he doesn't call with those hands out of position, you're better off calling in position and playing postflop.

As played not much you can do postflop, except maybe bet slightly bigger on both streets. I don't really think he's check/calling down a flushdraw too often, but it's hard for him to call the river with a pair unless he has exactly AQ maybe, which is hard to have given we have 3 Q accounted for, so it would take a very bad slowplayer or a pretty suspicious guy with Tx to get 3 streets of value in that spot. Taking into account AK fits his line rather well (check/calls the flop with AK-high, turns a gutshot, doesn't bet out on the river because of the flush getting there), I rather like your check back if you don't believe he's capable of check/calling down Tx, even if it looks weak at first.

Hope it helps.