How to not play with scared money?

• Tosh5457
      I played poker a long time ago and I beat NL10 and went to NL20. Then I stopped for a year and now I'm back, but I realized when I play NL10 I play with scared money. This happens because I deposited with my own money, but part of my money is what I made from poker. I have a bankroll even for NL200, but because I don't work I don't receive any money, so if I lose money it's not coming back at the end of the month. That's why I'm afraid to play with $10/10€, I know that a downswing can easily take 10BIs so I could lose 100€.

The thing is that I just can't play NL5 knowing that I beat that limit, it just bores me and makes no sense. I beat NL10 too but it's not so low as NL5. I'm not very confident of my game because I don't play for a long time, and a 10BIs - 15BIs downswing (100€ - 150€) still matters a lot to me. In consequence I'm literally scared of losing any hand when I play on NL10.

What should I do? I already knew I'm greedy in terms of money, but not that much lol. How do I free myself from this fear so I can finally play poker?
  • 7 replies
    • paaaaau
      Try to get a stake for NL10 from other players. Good luck! ^_^
    • PocketAcesJohn
      Its all to do with the size of your BR wether thats life roll, poker roll or both. Its really as simple as that, you brain will decide for itself whats acceptable and whats not. No hiden formula.

These days i think to many players are obbsesed by the money side. Sure its nice earning max $$$ possible. The most important thing though is enjoying playing and not worrying about the money element, just enjoying playing. Obvs its nice earning money from your hobby aswell.
    • Bigniux
      leave some amount of money in your account which you are not afraid to lose. Since you're crushing NL5, you can leave like 100-150$ and start there, then just build it up till NL10 and higher.
    • Duncan737
      Read articles and watch videos again to ensure yourself your game is good enough for stake. Start with one table and deposit only amount of money, you can lose without any big impact for you. Take it like investment into your hobby. When you play football like amateur, you should pay for that, too. :)
      You can deposit e.g. 150$, play NL5 until you have BR for NL10 and gain confidence from these limits, then move to higher limits.
    • badpinguin
      rolled for nl200 so you have about 5k and worried about a 100 dollar downswing?
    • MatejM47
      The only way not to play with scared money is to keep your poker bankroll separate from your RL bankroll. Just deposit as much money as you wont miss and start from there. If atm you can't afford to lose more then 100$ then deposit a 100$ and start from NL5 and go up/down the limit when your bankroll reaches a certain amount. Never play with the money you can't afford to lose and never play above your BRM and you'll be fine.
    • Tosh5457
      Thanks for the suggestions everyone :f_thumbsup: Separating RL bankroll from poker bankroll is what I've thought before, it seems like a good ideia. I'm only gonna start on NL10 when I have 360€ (because I play GBP tables too).