Thinking process for MTT hands ?

• cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      Hello Guys,

I've been trying to set an order on my thinking process before acting on a hand and it's really killing me usually because there is so little time to take all the data step by step analyzing the pro's and con's and decide on the best way to go.

But that's not all I spend more time on what I have and usually end up just going with my gut on what my opponent might have (does not apply when the flop shows a flush / straight draw.

So what I think of when calling / raising / folding is the following:

Preflop
      1st. My hand
      2nd. My possition ( how many guys are to act after me)
      3rd. Action before.
      4th Players on my left are aggresive or tight (usually i can't get an impression cause we are always moved between tables)
      5th Raise or call or just fold
      Also somewhere along I think about the pot odds not that I'm very good at telling if 3:1 pot odds justifies a call with AJo in MP3 for example but as long as they are above 3:1 I usually call with any decent hand.

Flop
      1st. If I hit the board but not the nuts and I'm the first to act i just bet half the pot to test my opponent.
      2nd. If my opponent bets first I take a good look at the pot odds and my outs and try to make an appoximation (sometimes I just fold regardless of the pot odds cause again I go with my guts) anyway on the flop I can tell if I have a flush draw that I have 9 outs and i need about 4:1 odds for a profitable call ( on more complex hands this becomes a harder part to think through)
      3rd. If i have a clear mind i'll remember sometimes what my opponent did pre-flop and take that very little into consideration ( bad right ? )

And the Turn and River are mostly the same: what the opponent did on the flop (here I tend to take it serious and usually if I get raised, but on the flop we both checked then I dunno if he is trying to bluff me or he actually hit something and the bad thing about this is that I give myself 50 - 50 chances but I forget to think about slow play) and besides this the thinking process is kinda the same.

I know I'm a bad player. I made it to the final table a few times (7 - 8) but I think that was just luck and my opponents mistake.

Btw I play the normal strategy on mtts but not always (i won't loosen up every time in a late part of the tourney).

Anyway....I just need some advice on how the thinking process should be on how to manage to keep it like that. Plus I suck at math...i'm in Law school and the only math they tech you there is counting your money :) .

Thank you,
      Gabriel

PS: I really want to get better because I have the biggest tourney comming up (Monthly Million on PP) and I want to be able to make better decisions in those seconds allowed for acting :) .
  • 4 replies
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      Think your thinking is wrong.
      Preflop the action before you should dictate your action, then put people on a range and figure out if you have odds/implied odds to call, or you have a hand that can raise for value.
      On flop, you bet if opponent can call with worse (value) or fold a better hand (bluff) - or pick up dead money in some cases.

If you call you are calling with correct odds if chasing a draw. Or calling with a mediocre hand that have some showdown value, but aren't strong enough to valuebet yourself.

Turn/river - if your not to deep your pre and flop action dictatates your turn/river action - mostly getting it in for value or giving up.

Hope it makes sense.
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      But really if you wanna get better, read hands in hand evaluation forum + mtt strategy articles. another way to go is to master sng first and then mtts.
    • cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      Thank you Murn I took notes and will try do that in the future.

I read the MTT articles but the SHC for example doesn't really apply when you have all kind of players raising with Ax or any two faced cards I know its just a guideline and that you have to adapt and that's why I want to check flaws in my thinking process as I thought i have major leaks.

I would really appreciate if someone could post their thinking process so I may compare and maybe adapt mine to it.

Thank you,

Gabriel
    • Tiltberger
      Tiltberger
      Bronze
      preflop

also take the stacksizes of you and your opponents into consideration!
      Do you need to call a shove for example from shortacks, who can resteal, and so on.

tip for you:
      There are some very good mtt-videos in pokerstrategy in english.
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#contenttype=0&gametype=8&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

just watch all the videos and you get a good impression how to play mtts and what do need to consider on preflop on the flop and on later streets!

Or Visit the monday - english - mtt-coaching with grummeler:
      its for silver status, so you could watch it!