[NL20-NL50] NL100 SH Rush - A7o - bet, check, call line as PFR in position - eg4

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($50)
      BB ($24)
      UTG ($50)
      UTG+1 ($25.25)
      Hero ($58.15)
      BTN ($26.30)

Dealt to Hero 7:club: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, fold, BB calls $1.25

FLOP ($5.50) 9:diamond: A:spade: 6:club:

BB checks, Hero bets $3, BTN folds, BB calls $3

TURN ($11.50) 9:diamond: A:spade: 6:club: T:heart:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($11.50) 9:diamond: A:spade: 6:club: T:heart: 5:club:

BB bets $3, Hero calls $3

BU 18/11/2, 251 hands; BB 15/0/2, 14 hands

flop continuation bet fine for value and protection. In my opinion turn is classic way ahead way behind situation and we should check behind since the only worse hand we cannot really expect to get called by a worse Ace. If we bet, we would have to bet/fold.

The plan with this line is to get to showdown and call bet on the River depending on size. When we check behind on the turn we are signalling to the average villain that we have a weak hand and we invite him to bluff at the pot.

Some proportion of the time, when we call on the River we are behind. however, as long as we don't call a bigger bet than we would have made on the turn (in general), this line is not worse than bet/folding the turn.

when we check behind the turn, we also enable villain to make his draws some time and we have to offset this disadvantage with the fact that when we bet/fold the turn we never allow villain the opportunity to bluff at the pot.

Given that this is an Ace high board, we should consider that villain's range for calling on the flop is much narrower. Therefore we probably need to treat River bet with more respect. What this basically comes down to is that we are unlikely to be able to call a substantial bet on the River. in this particular example villain needs to have a worse ace (A2,A3,A4) or random bluff just one time in 5 for us to be able to call profitably. when I discussed this hand with a friend he suggested that anything over 4-5$ would be an amount we could no longer call.

Thoughts about this line in general and in this hand in particular?

Thanks
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If he c/c it is mostly Ax hand, sometimes also some kind of draw
      I´m happy to b/f there AJ+, but with A7 you´re just most of the times valuedowning yourself against better Ax hands, so I like checking back turn and then calling reasonable river bet