This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Tricky hand! Bad fold?

• jebinho
      jebinho
      Bronze
      Hello guys!

I'm quite new around here so i don't know if this is the right place to post a question about a hand.

But since i can't stop thinking about it i will tell you guys about this hand anyway.

-----------------------------

So i was playing a live NL Hold'em tournament with 20 entrants and i got to the final table (OK it was more like a SNG but they called it a torunament). There was this player directly to my right which also happened to be the chip leader.

Up to that point he played 8/8 voluntary hands (just 8 hands were dealt since we all sat down at the FT), raising pre-flop and re-raising bets post-flop most of the time.

He won 6 nice pots with only 1 showdown.

He even clashed with another big stack and got him to fold on the river in 2 consecutive hands, winning over 25k from that guy.

He started the final table with 45k and he got to 85k or so I had like 24k.
      The blinds were at 400/800 ante 50.

He was a loose player but he played very aggressively. Since he only got to showdown once and won, his image was quite solid.

OK so here is how it went down.

I was dealt 5 :spade: 6 :spade: in SB
      He was on the button.

All players to the dealer folded. He raised to 3K.

Now, this looked like a pretty obvious blind steal to me since everyone else folded.

I decided to call to see what happens, especially because the BB was this chick who was playing a big tournament on her laptop so she wasn't really paying attention plus she played like a rock all night. She folded so HEADS UP!

The flop came 6 :club: 7 :club: 8 :diamond:

Pretty nice flop for me!

But here is the thing. I had no clue what he had and i checked my OESD and bottom pair (5 :spade: 6 :spade:) .

The pot was about 7k. He bets like 3k and i raise to 10k. He re-raises me all in. I did not expect that.

My mind froze for a moment and then all crazy thoughts came in to my head. I started thinking what could he have raised with? He was on the button after all. He could already have the straight, he could have two pairs, he could have flopped a set and be afraid i catch the 8-o uter on the turn. Over pair was also a possibility. Flush draw?

So i asked my self what can i beat now?

I really felt like i was beat and i did not want to risk all my chips for 32% to make my straight. However i think i had something like 40% chance to win that hand regardless of what made hand he had except the straight.

So after 3 minutes i had to make a decision. Under normal circumstances, i would have called instantly. But i was three places away from money so i decided to fold.

He then showed me A :club: Q :heart: :s_confused:

Fortunately i got ITM !! i guess it was the wrong decision at the right time.

-----------------------

I know this is a rookie mistake! That is why i wanted to ask you guys, how would you have played the hand?

Would you have called all in this guy? are my percentages correct against KK, 88, 78, A :club: 8 :club: and hands like that?

should i have folded or re-raise pre-flop? should i have bet the flop?

Thanks, Nick

*excuse my english
  • 7 replies