NL 5 - Why Can't I adjust

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      I have now twice made it up to the $125 mark, playing NL2 which is a long, boring process. And twice I swing downwards to under a 100 in just a week or so. Everyone flat calls everything making it impossible for me personally to put anybody on anything. I get no value for my big pocket pairs and in general I feel like everyone is more aggressive.

I cant stop the downswing and feel like I really am completely clueless.

HIGH VPIP players playing all types of hands and catching everything.

According to PTR I am playing optimally for this level so why is my BR not showing it? What am I missing? More aggressive? Less aggressive?

I am so frustrated.
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Greedyfly NL 5 - Why Can't I adjust

I have now twice made it up to the $125 mark, playing NL2 which is a long, boring process. And twice I swing downwards to under a 100 in just a week or so. Everyone flat calls everything making it impossible for me personally to put anybody on anything. I get no value for my big pocket pairs and in general I feel like everyone is more aggressive.

I cant stop the downswing and feel like I really am completely clueless.

HIGH VPIP players playing all types of hands and catching everything.

According to PTR I am playing optimally for this level so why is my BR not showing it? What am I missing? More aggressive? Less aggressive?

I am so frustrated.
      Hi,

If you can beat NL2 then its definitely in you to beat NL5. I cant see there being much difference between the 2. I am currently playing NL5 FR. It can be hell at times but its going well for me.The biggest difference I have found playing in the micros is that stealing from the CO, BU and SB can be very profitable. Also, keep an eye on players stealing your BB as they tend to do it quite regularly and can be weak when raised back.

Another massive difference is position. I have come across countless of times where I've called a PF raise from a EP or MP player with marginal holdings. I always fire if they check after.

Bet sizing is key also. Raise premium hands alot in EP, a little less in MP and the normal amount in LP. If you have AK-QQ+ and you have at least a raise and call I would definitely shove my stack. Make the nits pay, and you'll be surprised how often they will.

I am using a 30BI rule for each limit. What are you using? 25-30 should be plenty at this level.If you're having a bad hour or few best leave the tables for a while. Take a break, a nice walk etc.

Once you make the NL5 BI again take a day off before plunging in. Enjoy the accomplishment you've made in moving up a level and then go for it.

If the game has become unenjoyable for you I'd definitely take a time out for a few days and come back relaxed and refreshed.

One last thing I'd like to add (if I have not bored you to death already) is to create a blog. It can be a very motivative tool. And anything that can do good is only good right? It's all about +EV at the end of the day.

Hope this helps,

Gary
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      If they just flat call, you're getting monster value from big PP. :)
    • FaulV16ke
      FaulV16ke
      Bronze
      What helped me most when i was moving up to NL5 was good table selection. Just find tables with 3-5 total morons. It shouldn't be a problem on NL5 to find a table with 4 players with +50%VPIP, or table with someone who openpushes all the time. If there isn't a big fish at the table just stand up and find another table even if you feel you are probably better than players at your table. Good table selection can double your winrate on NL5.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hey mate I’m having a smiler problem moving from NL2 to NL4 on party, I’ve moved up and down between NL2-4 about 3 or 4 times just be patient you will crack it I’m sure. This attempt for me is going better than my last couple, so I believe all you need is to play hands at this limit that way you can have reads on players.

Good luck.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Thanks for the information guys.

In addition are any of you using any poker HUD tools. My free trial of all the possibilities out there has now finally run out. Any suggestions as I don't feel I am justified in paying out $50 + until I am at a considerably better limit?
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      It is well worth the money. Even for micro stakes

I got HEM free. you can get it by depositing on some sites and getting some points