Living in Spain

• EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      Hey there! I really do not like Lithuania's cold winters, so I want to ask something about Spain. Can somebody share how much does it cost to live in Spain for a month? I know that its hard to say "how much", because it depends on a lot of factors. But lets say if you are not lazy, maybe you could share your experience like, how much does it cost to rent a flat or room, what a bout internet, phone, food prices for month etc. What are the prices for entertainment like clubs, cinemas and so on. And I know that prices differs from a region you want to live. So lets say I would like somewhere near the sea. :) So if you can help me just answer, then I will have more questions :D Thank you!
  • 28 replies
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      Hey Ed,

How about moving to Gibraltar? I can answer pretty much any questions you might have about Gib.
      My colleague Hadi was living in Spain for a around a year. I am sure he will drop by and give you some tips :)
    • EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply! Right now I am looking for some info about Gib on my own, like not to disturb you ;) So I'll text you a PM if its possible with some questions ;) Or I'll just write it here :) But what I already found out, was that during winter time, temperature is between 13-18 Celsius, right? :) I don't know why I was expecting for some 20+ :)
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i lived in spain for 1yr in 2008. i lived in central spain (Salamanca), it was quite a cheap city in comparison to the seaside cities. I was paying 350-500E / month for a room in a shared flat. food was about 75-100E/week. internet is pretty cheap.

if you want to go somewhere near the beaches then it will be more expensive.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hey Ed,

Depends where you're talking about.

Barcelona, Madrid and San Sebastian are super expensive, whilst other parts are much cheaper. I live in the north, so -comparatively- it's a cheaper than the big cities. Though if you want to live by the sea, that can be pretty pricey!

Rent varies incredibly, so it's difficult to generalise. Internet is pretty reasonable, but setting it up can be a problem as the main phone company (Telefonica) are a nightmare to deal with. Mobile phone tariffs are very expensive, but the phones themselves are actually quite cheap.

Drink and food is pretty cheap. And the weather is good.
    • EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      Thank you for sharing! ;) Maybe you know some websites where people are renting their flats, or room in the house. I mean not the company, because it is much more expensive as far as I know. And what about if I do not know Spanish language? Is it a big problem, won't people look to me as a some idiot?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EdVardenis
      But what I already found out, was that during winter time, temperature is between 13-18 Celsius, right? :) I don't know why I was expecting for some 20+ :)
      How can you possibly complain about this when we had -18 to -25 in the baltics most of last winter? :)

+13 to +18 is still a pretty damn good deal :P

Greetings from across your northern border,
      Richard
    • EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      I definitely agree with you, that this is rally good, I just were expecting something like 20+, thought that there are beach parties all the way during the winter :D
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EdVardenis
      Thank you for sharing! ;) Maybe you know some websites where people are renting their flats, or room in the house. I mean not the company, because it is much more expensive as far as I know. And what about if I do not know Spanish language? Is it a big problem, won't people look to me as a some idiot?
      Do you know where you plan on living in Spain? If you do, put the city and "inmobiliarias" into google and see - or try idealista.com. Look under the "Alquiler" heading, and there you are, looking at places for rent (alquiler is "to rent" in Spanish).

Which brings me onto the next subject, the language. I've been here two years, and it's difficult - but the people are normally really helpful. A great way to start learning is with Michel Thomas's "Learn Spanish" CDs. He teaches you the basics in a really easy way to remember, so you should have a good grasp on the basics before you get there.

Te deseo todo la suerte! (I wish you the best of luck!)
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

so, I don't know about the rest of Spain, but in the Campo de Gibraltar the situation is as follows:

A normal 2 bedroom flat will cost you about 400-600€ depending on location. If you want a higher standard (inside gated communities etc), you can expect about 600-700. Houses start from 1000, I myself lived in this Villa for 1700 (including services like gardener):

Cost of living is rather cheap for basic stuff, but you'll have a hard time finding good quality products when it comes to electronics etc. No problem though, since Gibraltar is near :)
      Internet is pretty solid (40€ for 8MBit/month), electricity and water depend on the season. I didn't have normal heating but a pool, so electricity and water sort of evened the total sum out , regardless of season.

Hadi
    • EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      Thank you pals! A lot of help from your side, really appreciate ;) And, Hadi, your house is really cool! :)
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Sure mate :) If you have any more questions, give us a shout - and if you're in Gib, be sure to drop by our office for a coffee (or an after work pint...)
    • francisco42k
      francisco42k
      Black
      Hi mate, have you ever considered Argentina?. It very cheap and you have places like Buenos Aires, Glaciar Perito Moreno, Cataratas del Iguazú, Pinamar, Villa Carloz Paz. Search those cities on google ;)
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      i lived ~year in costa del sol. Beginning of this month i moved to Austria.
      But overall:
      Marbella - not so big city like most ppl think who havent been there. Rooms 100€ per week with internet and everything (i can give contact). Flats 400+, villas 1500+
      Food is cheap if you know where to buy
      Buerto Banus is very near (party party party city)
      Mobile nr is easy to get (just walk in some mobileshop and buy, you need passport with you)
      BUT internet suck everywhee where i stayed this year, maybe bad luck, maybe its sux in spain.

Overall nice place where to be, sea and everything.
      1-2k per month and you have everything.

gl
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      out of curiosity, if you only speak English (and some very basic french/german) would you be able to live in spain or would gib be your best bet?
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      I live in Gibraltar not Spain, but every other week I go shopping and stuff in Spain and I don't speak a word of Spanish. I get along okay, communicating by gestures, pointing and making noises (Airport is easy, bread for example not so much).

Though I wouldn't recommend moving anywhere without speaking the language, you could do okay in South Andalusia, as many Brits are spending their Holiday/Retirement there. So many of the locals speak at least some English, but keep in mind that you have to deal with authorities, phone and internet providers, etc.

A while back, I lived in Amsterdam for a couple of months and I felt isolated after a while, not speaking the language.
      From my personal experience, I would not recommend moving to a country where you cannot communicate with the locals, but that might be just me.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      and gibraltar is mostly english speaking? i know it's an english country but being so close to spain do you find most people speak english or spanish?
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      The official language in Gibraltar is English. So pretty much everyone that lives and work in Gibraltar, speaks English.
      I live here for over a year now and never had problems in Gib.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey there,

English is the official language here and is spoken by everyone (well, except the guys from the cigarette shop right after the border, but that's a different story). Most native Gibraltarians would also speak Spanish as well as a very strange sounding creole language called "Llanito", which is a wild mix of Spanish and English, where some people speak mostly English with some Spanish words ("I went to the doctor, pero he could find nada wrong with me") and some do the opposite ("He venido por the doctor, pero no could find nada").

In bigger places like Marbella, most people in shops etc will speak Spanish, but you will at least someone to help you deal with all the official stuff.

Lloyds international also has banks with English speaking staff, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

Plus, if you are surrounded by Spanish 24/7, you will learn it rather quickly, believe me :)

Hadi
    • Ash05
      Ash05
      Global
      Me and my girlfriend are planning to move to costa del sol or maybe also gibraltar from may.
      we are looking for a room/cheap place for our first month, so we have time to find a nice flat for ourselves.

if somebody knows some good places, some good websites to look for or has an open spot please contact me here or on skype: madgame05

if anyone is looking for flatmates right now, we might also consider something for longterm, if u have a baller place to stay :s_cool:

any help is appreciated, thx in advance

:)