Mindset question

• freespirit47
      freespirit47
      Silver
      Hi guys,

i'm playing 6max micro stakes, for over a year now, trying to constantly improve my game. As you all know, shorthanded is way more agressive than fullring and it brings quite higher variance too. I'm all used to that already, however there are certain situations, where i'm wondering how other regular players cope with. One of them is - as it happens quite common :

You start a session, all concentrated/focused, but no matter how good you play, you don't hit the flops, you get constantly reraised and pushed of the hands, with a bleeding redline. This is a pretty standard situation and can last couple of hundred, or even thousad hands. You know that the only correct play in those spots is the one u made (which is mostly fold), but as u're slowly losing more and more, it gets a bit frustrating and starts biting under your skin slowly. So what i am wondering about - what is your mindset approach to this kind of situations?

Thanks for your input ;-)

freespirit
  • 8 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      hey freespirit,

im playing SH micros too and was having the same problem with my redline and honestly i think the best way to deal with it is to untick the box on your graph. It was driving me a bit crazy going down and down all the time but now i just dont look at it i havent seen it for about a month now as long as you are still making a profit i dont think its of real importance to worry that much about. Try unselecting showdown winnings for a while and see how you go.

Im looking for people playing SH micro stakes to talk to on skype and maybe sweat and stuff if you are interested my skype name is externaluseonly89
    • freespirit47
      freespirit47
      Silver
      That's a good advice, i also try not to look at the redline too much, it's very true that it doesn't really matter on micro stakes as long as your winrate is positive.. but sometimes you can 'feel it' somehow, without even looking at it, for example when you are down 2bi's after a session without losing a single big pot. You have the feeling sometimes after few hundred hands - constantly folding to a turn reraises, or just giving up after board completely misses you etc. One would say to close it down, make a break, but in my opinion it's not so EV+ when u're sure u're still playing your A game, doing correct folds, just being on the bad side of variance for a while.

I don't want this thread to look like a classic crying post, i'm completely aware of the nature of the game and i know this is a inevitable part of it - again, just curious how you guys fight with it :)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      For me game becomes borring when I don't win, then I play less, I go watch some comedy shows or something. When variance is on my side then I playe more because it is more fun to get money from those fishes. And least last few weeks I do that :)
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Hey Freespirit,

If you're winning at a decent rate overall, I wouldn't worry too much about your redline (it's the greenline that counts)! 6-max is definitely more high-variance than FR.

A falling redline is more common at the micros where a lot of your value comes from value betting against the fish. In high stakes games there is more fold equity and you get more of those crazy graphs where the redline is above the blue line (although that's not impossible at the micros).

Playing lots of tables is also likely to result in a worse redline as you develop better reads at fewer tables and can make lighter call-downs in certain spots and play the player better than if your multi-tabling.

Having said that, a plummeting redline is probably indicative of some leaks. The big reason for a falling redline is putting money into the pot and then folding - if you're getting constantly three bet, you could consider tightening up your range against certain players. Another big cause is playing pots OOP without initiative and check folding when you miss the flop.

Watch out for Suited Connectors as well - they can bleed money if you're not careful. Folding SC against a single raise is fine (and recommeded in most spots).

Hope that helps!
      Jon
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      PS.

I'd be happy to sweat you after next week when my new laptop arrives.

I'm currently playing NL10 and NL25 on FT.
    • freespirit47
      freespirit47
      Silver
      thank you for your valuable insight. I'll be interested in the sweat, just give me a shout when you are set up :)

freespirit
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      most important is to clear your mind when you get pushed around hands and when u feel hopeless at a table, just leave it, you will always profit from the fish so just dont stay at tables where u dont feel the game..you have to feel that ur better then the opponents, that makes you play way better.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      most important is to clear your mind when you get pushed around hands and when u feel hopeless at a table, just leave it, you will always profit from the fish so just dont stay at tables where u dont feel the game..you have to feel that ur better then the opponents, that makes you play way better.
      Nice point - though my question is, when do you call it a night? I've had a couple of losing sessions recently that have been caused from just sitting at super-loose tables and waiting for premium hands. If those hands don't come I end up between 5 and 10BBs down at the end of my session. So I need to work on when to walk away.

Therefore, do you have a hand number that you set yourself, for example, if it's not my night by 50 hands then I'll leave? Or, if after 20mins you're still getting nothing, do you open up another table with the hope that it will improve your chances? (By getting nothing, I literally mean card dead; if you're not playing your hands correctly that's a different subject altogether.)

I realise that some of my money is going through bad play (I am a fish who doesn't fold early enough sometimes), but the majority is going because the blinds are eating up my stack, during "down" session.