How do I know if I am good?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      You can interpret this question in many ways, but the bottom line stays the same:

How can I objectively evaluate my poker skill? :f_eek:

When I just started I was under the impression that your skill in poker is measured by your winnings or more precisely by your winrate. That approach means that I have to check my graphs, bankroll and stats to see how am I doing, right? :f_cool:

But then I came across the opinion that you should not be looking at your bankroll, you should not be setting monetary goals, etc. How can you manage your bankroll then? :f_confused:

I realise that the true answer lies somewhere in between, but...

if I am a new player, if I don't have money to hire a coach, if I don't have friends who play poker, how can I know if I am any good?

I would really like to hear more than one opinion about this from experienced (and profitable) players :f_cool:
  • 6 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      What makes a good player will be different in different peoples eyes.

What makes a good player?

Winrate?
      Money made?
      How many tables he can play?
      Work ethic?

I don't think winrate is what makes you really good or just average.
      Say you have a win rate of 10bb/100 and i have a win rate of 7bb/100
      but I can play 2x the tables you can....who is best?

To be honest we all play this awesome game to make money so to me that factors pretty high in who i think is a good player.

Usually the last 3 in my list is what will make you a good player.

Take Boku87, is he a good player? Sure
      Is he one of the best in terms of roi? Not by a long shot
      Has he made more $ than most playing sngs? He sure has
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      the more you win the better the player you are......obviously you cant look at it over a few sessions......but if u look at how much money you make/ hands played on average from month to month that will tell you....poker is about winning money....the more you win...the better you are
    • JonnyJr555
      JonnyJr555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NeilSimpson
      the more you win the better the player you are......obviously you cant look at it over a few sessions......but if u look at how much money you make/ hands played on average from month to month that will tell you....poker is about winning money....the more you win...the better you are
      I agree with Neil....poker is about making money. The world class poker players like Barry, Doyle, Ivey , Helmuth and many more.... you know them because they made more money in poker which is difficult for an average guy to win in his lifetime so they ain't average but are the BEST :s_biggrin:
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      I've removed some spam and would kindly ask you folks to stay on topic. Thanks for the helpful replies so far :)
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      consistent profit
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      But how does what you are saying goes together with advices not to check your bankroll and graphs? :f_confused:

I like statistiscs, always liked them. I like to check how am I doing. If I am winning, it motivates me to stay focused and not to lose it. If I am losing, it makes me focused even more to get my money back. I can't help it - I always know how am I doing even if I am not exactly looking at the graph :f_cool:

At the same time somebody told me that I have a menthal problem if I do that :s_evil: