poker in africa??

• pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      whats up all, small question, i don't mean to sound stupid if i do but i really don't know or heard of african poker whats so ever

today i was in the house with my friend, he is from congo in africa and he is very intelligent good with numbers so i told him he should give poker ago he didn't have a clue how to play and when i say he didnt have a clue i mean nada so i starts teaching up but thats not my point just the foundation of my question, he told me that until he came to ireland ( around 5 years ago) he never even heard of poker, then i start thinking i dont know 1 african poker player, although i seen a free roll of full tilt specificaly for african players so there must be a poker background in africa but just a few questions,

is there any african pro's in the world

whats poker like in africa

is there any poker competions in africa (E.g) wcope apt etc

i'm really just a little curious as all and id like to think there is then i could show my friend the response and maybe give him an interest :D

ill get him to join pokerstrategy soon ( not just for the taf bonus :f_eek: )

thanks people
  • 2 replies
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      I spend my time between Africa and Europe (born in South Africa). There's a circuit in South Africa called All Africa Poker (they also have a dedicated poker tv channel on satellite tv). The first ever WSOP Event was held in South Africa (Swaziland) this year as well. Raymond Rahme made the final table at the 2007 WSOP Main Event (first African ever). I think most of the live poker in South Africa, and Africa for that matter, is centered around Johannesburg and Swaziland. I think northern Africa probably has some poker following considering their proximity to Europe but (and someone correct me if I'm be wrong) since a lot of northern African states are Muslim, gambling is probably outlawed. At the moment (since August) online poker is technically illegal in South Africa (similar to the situation in some American states).
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply mate, i thought south africa would of had a bit of poker in it thats a rich country i think yes, wow that raymond guy is old good finish for him and africa in 2007, thanks man