Poker skill: Zero
      Bankroll: Zero
      Time: Infinite

Objectives:

Poker skill: Long term winning player
      Bankroll: Enough to play NL100 or NL50
      Time: I want to do it in 6 months

Description:

I am 20yo programming student (9 hours to study per week). For a past few years, i was eating my heart out. Reason is simple, i felt bad because there was nothing where i`m good at. When i was child, i played chess, i wasn't bad, i played at some international tournaments etc. But of course i had to quit chess when i was teenager, it was lame :f_mad: . And even at chess, it is to late to begin career, i don`t even talk about physical sport (was playing football and table tennis for a year/two years also). And then, about month ago, i saw my sister :f_p: playing at Pokerstars. I assumed, its not to late for P :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: , right? i mean, i lost 2 years, can`t be more.

And here i realized, i suck at poker. Nothing was easier than busting $50 free bankroll. It does not matter how hard i try, it does not matter how much articles i read. The fact is - I suck. And the reason why i post: i need ideas how to become better. Any suggestions? :)
  • 20 replies
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      Play NL2 100k hands, put volume every day and read articles, videos and blogs, post hands, take it step by step.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Ok, in 2-5 days my moneybookers will be charged 30$, which room do you suggest to play NL2?
    • mrkaktus
      mrkaktus
      Bronze
      I think any room which has nl2 games yould be suitable :) id prefer something with rakeback (fulltilt poker maybe :) ) - it can hepl you building your bankroll :)

and one more thing :) You must beat nl2 withou any skill only following simple rules :)

1. starting hand charts - dont play marginal hands - just sticking to this rule will deffo increas your winrate as all nl2 players just love calling so you will often dominate them :)
      2. when you hit a good hand - top pair good kicker and better just bet bet bet all streets :) they will pay you off with worse :) ofc sometimes youll be oudrawn but thats just part of the game :)
      3. dont bluff :) fish cant fold even 3rd pair no kicker so when you missed your draw just give up and move to another hand :)
      4. try to play as much as possible in position - as sbd said in one video - you dont even have to know how to use the position and you are earning there - due to character of poker money flows always to the player in position
      5. table selection - try to play as much as possible with fish (even nl2 has its regs although bad ofc :) )
      6. and as already mentioned - volume :)

when I looked at my stats from NL5 where I started I realised that I was beating that limit for abt 10bb/100 and honestly I had almost no skill and as many newbies i didnt stick to a lot of those rules :) actually the only thing i had always in my mind was starting hands chart :) what I want to say that at those limits the only adjustment you need to do is to play strnger hands than your opponents and everything is ok :)

so good luck :)

add me on skype if you want skype name: basskaktus (Im poor player but I a beat nl2 :D )
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkaktus
      I think any room which has nl2 games yould be suitable :) id prefer something with rakeback (fulltilt poker maybe :) ) - it can hepl you building your bankroll :)

and one more thing :) You must beat nl2 withou any skill only following simple rules :)

1. starting hand charts - dont play marginal hands - just sticking to this rule will deffo increas your winrate as all nl2 players just love calling so you will often dominate them :)
      2. when you hit a good hand - top pair good kicker and better just bet bet bet all streets :) they will pay you off with worse :) ofc sometimes youll be oudrawn but thats just part of the game :)
      3. dont bluff :) fish cant fold even 3rd pair no kicker so when you missed your draw just give up and move to another hand :)
      4. try to play as much as possible in position - as sbd said in one video - you dont even have to know how to use the position and you are earning there - due to character of poker money flows always to the player in position
      5. table selection - try to play as much as possible with fish (even nl2 has its regs although bad ofc :) )
      6. and as already mentioned - volume :)

when I looked at my stats from NL5 where I started I realised that I was beating that limit for abt 10bb/100 and honestly I had almost no skill and as many newbies i didnt stick to a lot of those rules :) actually the only thing i had always in my mind was starting hands chart :) what I want to say that at those limits the only adjustment you need to do is to play strnger hands than your opponents and everything is ok :)

so good luck :)

add me on skype if you want skype name: basskaktus (Im poor player but I a beat nl2 :D )

So true!!!!
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Won 1$ at Party Freeroll, then joined MTT with that dollar and increased to 5$. Then i tought about something little bit more related to BRM. 9-tabled NL2 for ~45min and won 171BB by simply using basic SSS. Was a small practice before my transfer arrives to Moneybookers.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      practise makes perfect
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Hey. If you follow mrkaktus guide to success you'll crush NL2 in no time for sure.

But keep im mind that every limit you move up, regs get better and there's also less fish per table. So the most important part when you start out is to improve your game, watch videos, get holdem manager to review hands after every session. If you think you played the hand badly then post it in hand evaluation forum.

If you keep studying the and improving your game you'll be able to grind it out to nl50 in no time, especially since you seem to have a lot of free time on your hands.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      As i said, i suck at poker. That was more than obvious at start, but things are getting better. I am trying not to play too much.

http://www.pics.lt/gallery.php?entry=images/3k hands.JPG

P.S. Poker Soundtrack:
      1) Ladytron - Ace of Hz
      2) Fountains of Wayne - Too Cool for School
      And i can not find anything else, any suggestions?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hey man, good luck with your journey. It's easily possible with some dedication to get decent at poker :D I started at the beginning of August I believe with $50 and even with a month out due to no internet i'm currently on NL25 following 25BI BRM. Check out my blog if you fancy it ;) GL at the tables!
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Broke up with girlfriend today. Good opportunity to spend a night with lovely poker :f_cool:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zilltine
      Broke up with girlfriend today. Good opportunity to spend a night with lovely poker :f_cool:
      Only if capable of focusing on A-game, sir! ;)
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      I think C-game is good for NL2 :D cant sleep anyway :/ I feel like i should think more about HU. Where can i find material for HU?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      NL2 HU? Rake will just kill you!! There are some silver articles and there also is a chapter in Easy Game vol.1 on HU. Ofc, if you manage to get your hands on >=gold articles you'll surely have something about HU there ;)
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Good luck in poker fellow chess player :f_biggrin:

FR worked better for me then SH or HU in beginning (switched to SupTurbo SnGs)
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Silver
      Do you even love the game? If you dont have love and passion for poker and you are just in for the money, forget it.

how about playing freerolls first, low stakes... you simply learn by playing if you have the patience, if you believe in yourself... you need all these things by nature... you dont sound like you have those things yet.

p.s. I think you should play at least a year before going to NL50 or higher... you NEED experience, lots of it.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JazBenz
      Do you even love the game? If you dont have love and passion for poker and you are just in for the money, forget it.

how about playing freerolls first, low stakes... you simply learn by playing if you have the patience, if you believe in yourself... you need all these things by nature... you dont sound like you have those things yet.

p.s. I think you should play at least a year before going to NL50 or higher... you NEED experience, lots of it.
      I fell in love with cards when i was 6 years old. My father showed me game called "Idiot" (I guess). I do love cards overall. And about poker, its hard to explain, but its way more than money, way more than any other thing i know in this world. I have hard times when i try to explain something like this, but when we talk about loving poker its near to love for mom.

I think i have 1 thing by nature which suits to poker. I almost never steam, just learned that from tough moments in life so its not by nature i guess :f_confused:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Everyone tilts, there are just lots of subtle forms of tilt that are hard to recognize.

EDIT: Tho i'm not sure if steaming = tilting. :f_biggrin:
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zilltine

I think i have 1 thing by nature which suits to poker. I almost never steam, just learned that from tough moments in life so its not by nature i guess :f_confused:
      DENIED

My Ex called while i was playing poker. Will build bankroll with freerolls.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Aces doing well

[/URL]