SNGs : Normal / Turbo/ Super turbo?

• 7 replies
    • EdVardenis
      EdVardenis
      Bronze
      I play HU SNG for time to time, so imo the best for me is normal mode with deep stack, because its less reduce edge ;) But maybe hourly would be better playing on turbos, but there you must play more push/fold game ;)
    • Akwed
      Akwed
      Bronze
      For all sng formats you must know push/fold phases.
      In ST you're in it from beginning. So, ST is imho best for practice.
      Plus when you add a good length of the game(avrg. 6min), so I find ST as the best format.
      This is my opinion.
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      I think they all have advantages.

Normal has the advantage of a slow blind structure, where you might find yourself on the bubble when the push/fold phase starts, just because there are so many that don't know how to play the early phase. You also have the benefit of the middle-phase, which is nonexistent in super turbos, and shortlived in turbos.

Turbos have the advantage of having an early phase, but only lasting around 30 minutes instead of 50-60 minutes like normals. I think that the turbo is the format where beginners make the most mistakes, since this is a fast SnG that has a transition from early phase into push and fold, and people often start pushing too early and loose, or too late and tight.

The super turbo doesn't allow the beginners to make the mistake of starting to shove too late, since it puts them in the push phase directly, The super turbos doesn't put you in as many marginal spots as the other SnG's, but at the same time it doesn't put the beginner's in as many marginal spots either, and since the beginners often make more mistakes, here they have less room to make them. The plus side is the incredible grindability of them to overcome variance, which is huuge here.

This is my opinion of all three, i tried all of them, even though i don't have a good sample on super turbos. My favourite is turbo. Hope it helps. I might be wrong in my analyse of the different pluses and minuses, but that's how I see them.
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Silver
      personally i play 18/27 man sitngos normal speed.

in my experience u have more room to play ur edge and therefore have less variance.

but when it comes to volume the turbos are obv better. in my oppinion its a question about winrate vs volume and u have to decide wich one will make u the money in the end :)

plz feel free to coment on my point of view since feed back is the way to get better !

AlcopopDK
    • BurningHand
      BurningHand
      Bronze
      i used to play 18/27 man normal speed SnG and it was really beatable...
      Almost everytime final table and very often in bubble/winner.

My opinion is that if you want good winrate with the lowest risk play normal speed..

just because in turbos you have to push/fold much more times so if a bluff doesn't work will hurt your stack a lot. in normal speed you have time to make moves.

super turbo sng in my opinion are the most risky sng format. you have to risk more, push all in more and you will lose even from fish who joined for fun.

if you learn how to beat super turbos though your winrate will be much bigger than the other formats.

but i still prefer normal speed :) . blinds up like every 5 minutes its good for me.
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      sng's at Ft start with 50 BB, I would say that there is not that much room for post flop moves anyway. I personally prefer turbo SNGs. There is enough space for the fish to donate their stacks, and you dont need that much time to wait for push fold phase compared to normal.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i play turbos, good $/hr decent rake-back and the variance is bearable... (i cant handle ST variance...)