low pocket pairs preflop

• h2ko60
      I want to ask you, is it worth playing low pocket pairs in any position?
      i mean example i have 33, i have 2 unseen cards to have a set, because if i dont hit 3 i lose anyway i think.

2 multiply 3 (flop cards) = 6 outs
      50 unseen cards.
      50/6= 8,5
      i think it is worth only when pot is very big preflop.
      Or it is not worth calculate just use SHC?
      ok sry for silli que.
  • 5 replies
    • rrwillem
      You are playing SSS I pressume?

I like playing them for 1 BB when ppl have limped allready. If you play SSS that should be all. I never play them first in or in raised pots.
    • rubysilesia
      U mixed up terms. The term "outs" refers only to cards that will be shown on turn and river. When u hold a pocket pair (for example: 33) preflop u got 7.5:1 odds to hit set on the flop (11.8%). If u miss it on the flop than u got 2 "outs" (the remaining 3s) on the turn (22:1, about 4%) and about the same chance on the river.
      Low pocket pairs are sort of binary hands, u either hit a set on the flop and willing to put allin or u don't hit it and simply fold.
      U shouldn't play low PP for set value with short stack in a raised pot, u don't get enough implied odds to do it profitable.
    • Puschkin81
      Hi h2ko60!

rubysilesia is correct. If you play SSS: stick to the starting hands chart. If you play the BSS there is one rule which you should have in mind: You play small pocket pairs only for setvalue. If you don't hit your set, you fold on the flop. If you hit your set, you bet and raise. Small pocket pairs are mostly played because they have big implied odds (if you hit you get paid off).

Good luck at the tables!
    • Floating
      and how about 'investing' half a BB when there are only or no limpers in front and you are on the SB?

fold to a raise from BB and hope to strike the set when checked?

(i say this because when playing small pocket pairs a ratio of at least 1 : 15 is considered +EV when reacting to a raise playing BSS)

(another reason is that i would like to find ways to spice up the very mechanical SSS a bit :D )
    • Berliner1982
      First In in the SB, I would always attack the Big Blind, when I play as a Big Stack.
      As a Small Stack, it depends on the limit you are playing at and on the stats of your opponent, who is sitting in the blinds.

So as a beginner, just stick to the strategy. When you play NL 100 or higher and have PT and PA, with a lot of hands of your opponent in the blind, you can attack the Big Blind, when he is folding against a steal attempt very often (over 90% of the times).