Move down a limit?

• Janchiks97
      Janchiks97
      Bronze
      Hello

I was starting with 30$ at Betfair 3 weeks ago, managed to win up to 150$ by playing NL4 in a little bit over 15k Hands. This week I decided to move up a limit to NL10. At first it was a small downswing while i get used to it, but then i managed to slowly build up my Bankroll to 200$. Today I had some sick badbeats, over 3k hands i lost 80$ ( 2 sessions ). :s_frown: was running 60$ under EV. Im a really patient player, and even on this downswing i wasnt even close to tilting, actually it makes me laugh when some donk wents all-in preflop with JTo and cracks my Kings :s_biggrin: Anyway, when im on a such downswing i have a feeling that Iv lost alot of money. When i play, Iv learned not to think about money and concentrate to make best decisions, but still there is that feeling. After that awful session i took a break, thought over few hands, took a walk. My BR was ~120$. Then I started to play NL4 to see how it goes. After a session I ended up with 130$ BR, and a downswing seems to be over?

Should I stay at NL4 for now, or keep playing NL10, because as theory says I should move down a limit when i have 25BI left. I was actually beating NL10, just had a really bad day.

And what do you think about my BRM?

Move down when 25BI left
      Move up to NL10 at 15BI
      Move up to NL20 with 20BI
      Move up to NL 50 with 25BI
      Adding +5BI for each new limit

~Janchiks97
  • 9 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      If in dought move down. The fact that you are thinking about moving down is enough of a subconcious indication that you should move down. Just allow psychology to guide you =)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Janchiks97
      And what do you think about my BRM?

Move down when 25BI left
      Move up to NL10 at 15BI
      Move up to NL20 with 20BI
      Move up to NL 50 with 25BI
      Adding +5BI for each new limit
      Sounds good to me
    • Janchiks97
      Janchiks97
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply's. I think im gonna stay to NL4 for now, and later, if everything will go smooth, give a shot to NL10 again with proper BR.

Sometimes it just feels that my sessions are neverending unlucky, no matter how solid I play, i keep loosing, even If Im making best decisions. Then after a break its good again. Had it before on NL4, seems strange to me :D
    • mordath
      mordath
      Bronze
      So you had a downswing of 6 buyins under EV?
      I had that under a session.. multiple days in a row. Right now I'm 22 buyins under EV and feeling pretty a bit bad. How do you handle not getting tilted?

I'm not playing my A game I think but I still play winning poker it's just the frustration of getting sucked out on so much.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      By any chance are you guys playing SSS? When I was short stacking the swings just killed me. I couldn't handle it and switched to BSS which is way more stable. Btw 6 bi isn't a downswing. I dropped from playing NL100 to NL2 during my worst downswing and I was running almost $800 below EV. Imagine being $800 below EV playing NL2 SSS! Regardless, if you're on a downswing or a massive heater you should follow proper BRM.

Good Luck
    • mordath
      mordath
      Bronze
      Nope, playing BSS and playing a pretty standard even conservative BRM. I'm more than used to swings of 5-6 bi per session it's just it's happened for a multiple sessions in a row that gets to me. Playing for a month and recording a loss is just unfun I guess is the word to use..

Janchiks BRM plan sounds ok as long as it's followed since the lower limits are a bit easier to play with a bit less than 25BI.
    • Janchiks97
      Janchiks97
      Bronze
      It wasnt a 6BI loss. I lost a bit over 100$ from highest point, and was 6BI under EV. Anyway, Iv played 15k more hands since then on NL4, and still was on a downswing till weekend, when i ran really hot and moved back to NL10 :f_cool: Graph looks like this overall:

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      If this graph is from BSS I think you should be looking at why the all in EV line is not constantly trending upward. Are you getting your money in with coinflips/marginal situations that can be played differently? Are you getting unlucky and running into coolers? What is your $won without showdown like? BSS isn't so dependent on all in EV like SSS. To me this graph isn't really showing a major downswing, I think reviewing some spots that you have trouble with and posting some hands would be very beneficial.

Good luck
    • Janchiks97
      Janchiks97
      Bronze
      Yea its from BSS. Im playing on NL4 and NL10, so stacks goes all-in quite easy. At the very end of the graph i was playing NL10 and run into some tough spots where i went all in with second strongest set, also KK vs AA, and some river calls with 0 equity counts too i guess :f_frown:

I try to review my sessions before i start a new one. I really cant pick out hands that id like to discuss, to me its kinda clear what i did wrong, or how i would play it differently. I just try to think of my game, my leaks etc.

And yeah, sometimes I have trouble with marginal situations when im in position. When im OOP I always remind myself that those hands are trash OOP :D