[NL2-NL10] NL200, 1 hand, what is the correct move?

• 11 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      would raise him anyday here.. You wanna start building a pot, and if he doesn't hold annything he wanna go on with, its just bad luck..
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I'd call and hope for a raise on the turn.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I'm torn here. I probably have the nuts. If he has KK, well, shit happens. If he has AK, I am still huge favourite. Ditto AA etc. If he doesn't, then this is just a cbet, and my reasonable raise will probably end the hand.

If I don't raise, he may hit one of his few outs, and beat me. This has happened before.

I am obviously wanting to play for stacks here. This is unlike the other hand I posted, where there were potential draws. Here, not so many. Is there a case for slow play on this flop?
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Yea, you raise. You hope he has AK and you must put as much money in before he pairs his kicker on the river (happens everytime, lol).
    • rrwillem
      rrwillem
      Bronze
      Personally I would call the flop and raise on the turn. If he has AK he will call you all the way anyway, so raising because he has a King and u dont want him to hit his outs seems useless to me. You give him 1 card and hope he has something on the turn. If he doesnt you made the max either way with an extra if he bets out again on the turn.

At least thats how id play it :D
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      That sounds good to me. I didn't play it that way, but it does sound good. This is probably a flop where calling would be fine, and hope he fires a second on the turn. If he does draw to few outs, bad luck?
    • Sleyde
      Sleyde
      Black
      DONT SLOWPLAY in this spot.

Calling here is a major major major major major .... major leak.

What does seem stronger? A call on that flop and a raise on the turn or just a raise on the flop (you would play any bluff the same way!). And you should be bluffing here sometimes. Anyway, your opponent will often think that you are trying to bluff him off his hand. Plus, a raise on the flop means that you can bet the turn stronger and thus the river stronger to extract value from low-middle kings.

Your goal should be to get your opponent allin by the river! you cant achieve that by just calling here.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Thanks for that very strong advice. I did raise here, to $36. He folded, but at least I took the pot down, and didn't lose it to some fluky draw.

Interesting that you recommend a bluff sometimes on such boards as this. How often are we talking here, one in six?
    • Sleyde
      Sleyde
      Black
      Dont be afraid of losing the pot to some fluky draw. Thats definitely not the point. Say your opponent had only $40 left. you could slowplay then ... because you can get him AI easily allin even if you opt to just call.

Interesting that you recommend a bluff sometimes on such boards as this. How often are we talking here, one in six?

depends on your image and the opponent. are you playing tightly and your opponent is i.e. multitabling or a very weak player, why not raise it?! he will fold so many hands that he is opening with.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Right. So the idea when he has a big stack is force him to commit on the flop, making it harder for him to let go later.
    • Sebra
      Sebra
      Bronze
      Agree to Sleyde's first comment for the exact same reasons he gave.