Small pockets in the blinds

• JonikoP
      Hi guys,

Was hoping for some advice on playing small pocket pairs in the blinds in a SH game.

Generally I've been flatting a standard open. Sometimes bluff 3-betting v opponents who are opening a lot and folding a lot to 3-bets and c-bets.

Also I've been mixing up my play post flop with some bluff c/r to represent a set when I miss.

Starting to think that playing these hands all the time might be a leak as I rarely get paid off OOP when I do hit my set. Any thoughts?

• 3 replies
    • oedipa
      watch perfecting preflop play by mbml in video section, it should be of help to you
    • flopraiser
      Flat calling for set value in 6 max is rarely profitable. In 6 max players ranges are typically much wider, than in full ring therefore containing a lot of unpaired cards. With only approx 30% chance of improving on the flop with unpaired cards a player won't invest a lot of money when they miss, i'm guessing when you miss your set you fold to the continuation bet as per full ring play. You mention playing OOP which means you are often calling a steal from the cutoff or button where the hand ranges can be vast.

Hope this helps.
    • w34z3l
      As general rule it is ok to fold small pockets in the blinds when you have poor implied odds. This will occur when the initial raiser has a weak range and therefore unlikely to stack off even if he does connect with the flop.

You may choose to call anyway if you think you can steal postflop reasonably often, (remember this is harder OOP) but set-mining and giving up when you miss won't be profitable in the long run.

The best spots to set-mine in the blinds are against tight open raisers who are more likely to flop TPTK or an overpair and stack off.

In situations where you can't set-mine due to poor implieds you can sometimes choose to 3bet your small pocket. The fact you have poor implied odds often means you have good preflop fold equity against the right opponent. Fold some of the time also though, it's a common misconception that you should never fold pockets to a single raise.