Do I have what it takes? Anger in poker [A superturbo tale]

• stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I will post here because you guys are the only one I know that I think may understand how I feel.

I consider myself an ok poker player. Obviously, I know that a lot of players are better than me and that they spent a lot more time studying the game. This summer I had a shot at Cash game and I didn't have too much success on FT ( without losing too much...never being too positive, won like 300$ before on everest but had to withdraw ) therefore I decided to stick to what I had success in before, Sngs and MTT.

I love poker as a hobby and maybe one day I want it to become a little bonus earning without being too optimist.

Here's the thing; about 2 weeks ago I found about those super turbos sng on FT and decided to try them. They make me go crazy.

First, if you ever played them, you know you need to shove a lot and win thousands of coin flips to the point where you see bad beats over and over again. (as well as giving them.)

If I lose AK vs AJ or AA vs 66 I can take it, BUT I will start berating the guy that called my AKs all in with J6s (1st hand) nad calling him a donkey(of course if he hits) etc. I can't help him. It makes me mad and I hit my desk and RAGEEE.

http://fr.sharkscope.com/?username=stevegold87&network=fulltilt&searchtype=SNGO

This is a link to my SNGs sharkscope I started playing the superturbos around 1000 games. You can see the swings are crazy and hard to deal with. The problem is that I already beat the 1$ limit and I feel I can do the same with the 2$.

I am asking you pokerstrategy, how can I work on my emotions? Or should I just quit superturbos at all even if I think I can be profitable in the long term?

Yesterday I did a 100 points strategy day for the first time with 2$ superturbos which means that if I keep going like that rakeback will be huge. But profit wise as you can see I am kind of break even with ups and downs.

Superturbos : Are they a waste of my time? Should I just focus on turbo SNG or regular ones? Also this website is lacking a lot of superturbos material so it's very hard to learn ....[No videos or articles]

If I can't stop berating people because they call me with shit cards, should I not play superturbos also?

Next step with be the 5$ superturbos FR, if I reach that I will make a huge rakeback, but is it worth it?

How do you guys deal with this...(I wish some superturbos player would read this)

I already ordered the poker mindset. I love poker so much so quitting is out of the question for me, just need to speak with someone...
  • 8 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well the reason why there is no superturbo videos is because there are no different then the regular ones apart from the fact that you start in push or fold mode. If you want to make any money out of those you need really good understanding of the ICM.

Superturbo sngs are the most swingy type of game ever, well maybe PLO HU can be more swingy, so if you can't take the variance you should stick to regular ones. Its really hard to handle those swings when you just start playing poker.

Also playing for the sake of rake back is a waste of time. Rakeback doesn't make you profit if your a losing player.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Also playing for the sake of rake back is a waste of time. Rakeback doesn't make you profit if your a losing player.
      untrue, if you have a -1% roi on FTP in any form of tournament, rakeback is equivalent to a little more than 2% roi iirc
    • extpan
      extpan
      Gold
      i play also ST and is not so swingy....my graph isnt so perfect but you can see NIBBANAII on sharkscope :) he are a little more lucbox :P

Originally posted by stevegold87
      Hello everyone,

I will post here because you guys are the only one I know that I think may understand how I feel.

I consider myself an ok poker player. Obviously, I know that a lot of players are better than me and that they spent a lot more time studying the game. This summer I had a shot at Cash game and I didn't have too much success on FT ( without losing too much...never being too positive, won like 300$ before on everest but had to withdraw ) therefore I decided to stick to what I had success in before, Sngs and MTT.

I love poker as a hobby and maybe one day I want it to become a little bonus earning without being too optimist.

Here's the thing; about 2 weeks ago I found about those super turbos sng on FT and decided to try them. They make me go crazy.

First, if you ever played them, you know you need to shove a lot and win thousands of coin flips to the point where you see bad beats over and over again. (as well as giving them.)

If I lose AK vs AJ or AA vs 66 I can take it, BUT I will start berating the guy that called my AKs all in with J6s (1st hand) nad calling him a donkey(of course if he hits) etc. I can't help him. It makes me mad and I hit my desk and RAGEEE.

http://fr.sharkscope.com/?username=stevegold87&network=fulltilt&searchtype=SNGO

This is a link to my SNGs sharkscope I started playing the superturbos around 1000 games. You can see the swings are crazy and hard to deal with. The problem is that I already beat the 1$ limit and I feel I can do the same with the 2$.

I am asking you pokerstrategy, how can I work on my emotions? Or should I just quit superturbos at all even if I think I can be profitable in the long term?

Yesterday I did a 100 points strategy day for the first time with 2$ superturbos which means that if I keep going like that rakeback will be huge. But profit wise as you can see I am kind of break even with ups and downs.

Superturbos : Are they a waste of my time? Should I just focus on turbo SNG or regular ones? Also this website is lacking a lot of superturbos material so it's very hard to learn ....[No videos or articles]

If I can't stop berating people because they call me with shit cards, should I not play superturbos also?

Next step with be the 5$ superturbos FR, if I reach that I will make a huge rakeback, but is it worth it?

How do you guys deal with this...(I wish some superturbos player would read this)

I already ordered the poker mindset. I love poker so much so quitting is out of the question for me, just need to speak with someone...
    • freespirit47
      freespirit47
      Bronze
      not sure how many tables are you playing and in what layout, but u might try playing stacked tables and when you shove, just switch to another table and concentrate on the next hand. This way u'll just see the result of the hand after, and it won't hit u emotionaly that hard. I know a few players that had the same problem as you, and this helped them to solve it.

just my 2 cents :)
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by freespirit47
      not sure how many tables are you playing and in what layout, but u might try playing stacked tables and when you shove, just switch to another table and concentrate on the next hand. This way u'll just see the result of the hand after, and it won't hit u emotionaly that hard. I know a few players that had the same problem as you, and this helped them to solve it.

just my 2 cents :)
      hey this is actually a really good tip. I did that for a while with 16 tables and it helps but I didn't try to stack them all they were just all over my screen. I might do that. Don't see the bad and pushing with the best hand is what I should worry about
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I'm still grinding the super turbos.
      Yesterday I got angry again and stopped playing.
      it sucks because I need to end my session early.

I got my poker mindset book and started reading it. Some very good tips in there I sugest player with tilt problem to read it.

Have a great day everyone.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by extpan
      i play also ST and is not so swingy....my graph isnt so perfect but you can see NIBBANAII on sharkscope :) he are a little more lucbox :P
      It's true, disregard anything anyone says about "understanding ICM", "practising push/fold", until you have learned how to luckbox properly you have no hope :f_biggrin:
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      AS mention in my blog now, I have decided to replay some turbos only for now. So far they make me like five thousand time less angry so I will probably stay with them.

Superturbos do involves skills but imo variance is soooo high.