[NL20-NL50] NL25 A5s

• YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Is this a good play or a maniacal play? I sometimes can't tell the difference :)

I know I can do without it and just fold but I get a lot more enjoyment out of poker when I do stuff like that and I'm right about the hand I put ppl on but still can't make out if I'm winning or losing from such situations.

Villain is 22/14, AF: 0.8, 3bet 2.3 over 121 hands so...pretty tight/passive

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($22.55)
      BB ($42)
      UTG ($38.15)
      CO ($32.25)
      Hero ($25.30)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: 5:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.75, fold, BB calls $0.50

FLOP ($1.65) 5:club: 3:club: 2:diamond:

BB bets $1.15, Hero calls $1.15

TURN ($3.95) 5:club: 3:club: 2:diamond: Q:club:

BB bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

RIVER ($8.45) 5:club: 3:club: 2:diamond: Q:club: 6:diamond:

BB checks, Hero bets $4.65, BB folds

Hero wins $8.05
  • 6 replies
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      I don't like the turn, but I actually do like the river (you should have made it like 6.00 though). He almost always has a pocket pair here (either a set or an overpair to the flop), and he seems like the type to make some heroic folds (even if you don't really rep the straight or the flush).
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I guess he would fold to your river bet quite often, so that line is fine
      Also I think he should fold quite a lot to your turn raise, consider his hand is likely air, sometimes some kind of pp-s and he didn´t really bet that big on the turn
    • YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      But if I just call I think it looks more like a flush or that I hit the Q and am afraid of the flush, kinda representing both and then when I see what he does on the river decide which one to represent :f_p:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by YUKNOW
      But if I just call I think it looks more like a flush or that I hit the Q and am afraid of the flush, kinda representing both and then when I see what he does on the river decide which one to represent :f_p:
      An alternative is to raise on the smaller side (2.5-3x) on the turn and bet the river.

Weak players will call your turn bet with a wider range and then fold the river.

I like calling the turn here when I expect the villain to be honest on the river (ie: bets only made hands on the river - sets/flushes).
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YUKNOW
      you´re very likely raise turn with flush to get more money in the pot, but yeah calling turn and raising river looks also quite scary his middle pp, so you can also call turn and decide if you want to bluff him on the river
    • mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      Interesting hand

I also like the raise turn play, but it's kinda risky so you have to know the guy is capable of folding.