JJ and huge raises PF

• mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      I played about 700, 800 hands today (NL25SH) and came across 5 or 6 giant preflop raises. It was like UTG openraising to $3 (12bb), me raising to $1 and getting reraised to $6 etc. It always was JJ!
      Only JJ. Is there a new theory or summat cus I havn't seen that before.

I do like that, cus it's easy to play against a known hand, but I just find it strange since there was so many different players doing the same thing.
  • 7 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I would also reraise with JJ (sometimes with TT and 99), especially in position and against steel attempts. On SH tables the raising range is very wide (Ax, KT+, JTs+, mid pocket pairs, small suited connectors), so I consider JJ a very strong hand often to be ahead thus worth rerasing. Most of the time u will be ahead on the flop with descent pair and big pot this way.
    • Peter87
      Peter87
      Bronze
      I am not sure of this. It was properbly mere chance. I don´t think, that you can read villian on JJ, if he makes a giant raise.
      Don´t be to sure of your read.
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rubysilesia
      I would also reraise with JJ (sometimes with TT and 99), especially in position and against steel attempts. On SH tables the raising range is very wide (Ax, KT+, JTs+, mid pocket pairs, small suited connectors), so I consider JJ a very strong hand often to be ahead thus worth rerasing. Most of the time u will be ahead on the flop with descent pair and big pot this way.
      I'm sure you would. I would also read posts and try to answer the question and not just paste the random line from "how to play medium hands for dummies".

Just kidding, but the question wasnt how to play that but if i'm missing something and theres a new trend of giant JJ raising.
      That's all. Anyone else seen it?

It's true the guys doing it weren't really the future Dollies but some of them showed some sense now and then.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I didn't get the point, sorry. I've been playing NL25 SH for a week and I didn't spot that JJ overplaying preflop, to me it's just stupid and makes it easier to play against.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi mchaggis!

You should not assume that this is a general rule. These big raises with JJ don't make much sense and they can easily be made with any other hand (like 99+ AJ+ or even more hands). So don't worry about your observations.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      Hi Puschkin,

been playing NL10 SH for only 10 days now, and so far i assumed these giant raises always meant like AA, KK, unless from a weak short stack wanting to go all in, and always reacted accordingly (ie. fold in most cases)

eh... how do i adjust my play here? :tongue:
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      You should adjust your play. If there is a huge raise preflop and you don't have a premium hand: simply fold and wait for a better spot.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81