How to teach newbie?

• YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Friend asked me to teach him poker. He will attend some "business party" where will be poker tourney. (Although its free scoring good can help his image at work)

I teached him rules and played few hands (free 3 ppl home-tourney) with him. He is textbook calling station. I agreed to teach him some strategy today. What should I teach him in cca 2 hours?

I was thinking about basics of TAG style (starting hands, elementary postflop and elementary odds/outs)

Any suggestion is very welcomed!
  • 8 replies
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YourDoom
      Friend asked me to teach him poker. He will attend some "business party" where will be poker tourney. (Although its free scoring good can help his image at work)

I teached him rules and played few hands (free 3 ppl home-tourney) with him. He is textbook calling station. I agreed to teach him some strategy today. What should I teach him in cca 2 hours?

I was thinking about basics of TAG style (starting hands, elementary postflop and elementary odds/outs)

Any suggestion is very welcomed!
      I don't think folding 85% of the hands will help him to impress his mates :D . Plus I don't think he's bosses will be happy about this "picky and boring" guy beating them in front of everybody. However knowing the importance of position and protecting might be handy. That's just my opinion tho.
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      I think some tips I can give a beginner are...

If you've got a mediocre hand (TPWK) just fold even though you have the option to check.

That way, in the future they'll respect your checks more!

I often bluff players by using my special move "check to bluff", they open fold 90% of their hands now because they think I have a monster.

Sometimes they check-float you, but as soon as you check-barrel the turn they usually give up on the hand, I've had players folding bottom set to me because they think I have a higher set!

Try it out!

Best hand I got someone to fold was quads, I had AK, I min-raise pre UTG, 7 callers, flop was 889, I check to all 7 players, 6 of them open folded but one guy check-floats me, turn was another 9, I check-barrel him (super strong move by me), he open folds and tells me he had 88 but put me on 99 because my moves were so strong.

Check to bluff buddy!

This is a problem most players have, if they open folded more instead of checking they can bluff for free in the future!
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      fuzzyfish: Thanks, I will surely talk about position

Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Plus I don't think he's bosses will be happy about this "picky and boring" guy beating them in front of everybody.
      this will not be issue because he is very, very extraverted and he is mid-level so there will be his subordinates too.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Teach him to have fun, teach him few jokes he can tell at the table, teach him to smile a lot. And few things which is not so important, when he should fold (post flop), when he should c-bet. Outs would also fit. He does not need TAG strategy. He does not need any strategy at all. He simply needs to be a little bit better at poker. I think playing LAG makes game interesting.

P.S. if it will be tourney, teach him ICM. lol
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Teach him some starting hands, and then add a few into it. Add weak Aces into his range and (un)suited connectors. He'll look crap and feel bored if he plays a standard TAG game live against people at work. Get him to be more LAGish, then just teach him when to Cbet and stuff. Oh and remember to stress the importance of aggression!
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      Teach him to play agressive. And that 87s is sometimes playable, and J4s is trash.
      At least I think bigest mistake on my table is to think that a suited face card is good to see a flop with.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for advices!!

We just finished and I must only recommend teaching someone, because it helps You sort things in your own head too.

As starting hands I recommended 22+ A9+ A2s+ KJ+ 54s+ 64s+ 74s+ and 54o+ (this will work fine vs lot of limpers) and to be aggresive in late positions.
      We talked a lot about aggresion and position, bit about value and prot bets plus something little about odds/out.

I will post "results" after tourney :f_biggrin:
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Story have (semi-)happyend :f_biggrin:

There were prizes :f_p:

Friend ended 4th of 30 and shiped bottle of 12y old whiskey and a LOT of chocolates etc. 1st won 5.000CZK($275), 2nd 3.000CZK($165) and 3rd 2.000CZK($110)

Winner folded and showed queens against friends kings early stage (he must thought he have solid edge coz starting stacks were 32BB... or good reads)
      Friend totaly burned at push/fold stage (when he was vs last 3 others they played push/fold so maybe tourney was not totaly fishy)

Pretty sicko for 1st tourney anyway:D