[NL2-NL10] NL10 : Bluff (flush)

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Hero:
      $11.35
      SB:
      $13.52

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:diamond: , T:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.90) 4:spade: , 6:spade: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.40, SB calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3.70) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.70, SB calls $1.30.

River: ($7.10) 9:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4, SB folds.

Final Pot: $11.10

The opponent was conti-betting almost all the time so I decided to reraise him on the flup to see where he stood. I was then sure he had the J.
      With a flush draw card on the turn, I wanted to re-semibluff him, the double suited board must have scared him. I wanted to take it down there with a relatively small reraise (50 % pot) but it didn't work.
      When the final spade came and he checked, I bet 2/3 to represent a spade flush and it worked.

Ok, I'm happy it worked, but I'd still like re-evaluation of my play, just to make sure my thinking patterns were correct and this win wasn't just a fluke.
  • 4 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      U pulled 3 barrel pure bluff here. This works very rarely. If u felt like bluffing there, I think u should reraise more on the turn (~3) to represent something really big and give it up on the river (on this limits people will call their pairs to the very end of the hand). I suggest having at least small pair, or a draw as backup when bluffing like this.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I raised to 1.7 to represent what I had, a flush draw. I knew he must have thought it was more likely for me to hold the spade draw than the actual diamond draw.
      So when the turn came I noticed 3 things :
      1) His turnbet was suspiciously weak
      2) He might put me on a real strong hand (due to 2 raises) or on a spade draw, so when another spade shows up, I could bluff him out of the pot.
      3) I made a diamond flush draw, and there's no way he could put me on that draw, so when the river's a diamond, I'd probably get paid bigtime.

That was my logic :)
    • Peter87
      Peter87
      Bronze
      I raise this bet on the flop, but your raise size ist a way too small. You should raise to something like 2$.
      Against an unknowen fish, I would call the turn. He allows you to draw with the right odds and you have quite good implieds, because he will put you on a spade draw. The problem is, that you don´t know if he folds hands like JT/QJ/J9/76 etc. and fishes will call too often. If you want to bluff the turn, you should reraise to something about 4$.

As played i like the river barrel. Even a fish will be able to fold all the middle pairs. But i would bet about 5-5,5$.
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      if you want to semibluff, then semibluff bigger. The turn raise is way too small and no way you get rid of villain's hand with that raise, either calling or raising bigger for max fold equity on turn would be better. Personally I would just call it on turn and hope for A or third :diamond: on river.